A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first yarns!  (Read 648 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SeeMe

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2007 12:50:28 PM »

So, a couple of months ago, I bought a Louet s15 (I think!) for the amazing pice of 10$ canadian. When I got home I spun...

And spun

And spun...

And spun!

They're in order from first to fourth. Corridale wool (te first time I made yarn!), unknown wool, unknown wool, and "massam" top. I'm proudest of the white one, of this batch.

All together;

And then I was out of fiber. Arrggh! There are like, no fiber shops near me, so I put inan order of a pound of Corridale from copper Moose fibers and waited. And waited. Finally, fifteen minutes after I placed that order, I placed another one with shpherder (on eBay) for um... 6 pounds of superwash merino. (It was 4.00 a pound!)

And then I waited. And waited. And after ifteen minutes of waiting for my orders to arrive, I grabbed some yarn I had recycyled from a sweater and began to ply it up.

This is after I washed it. Before, it was... like, a fingering to sport weight. It BLOOMED. It's about a worsted weight now!!

Then, finally, my Merino arrived. (it arrived on the same day as my corridale, but I have yet to crack that open!)

I am really pleased with it.  I spun about half a pound of it, and it's mostly worsted weight, with a few big slubby spots thrown in. But yeah.

The Merino and te recycled (lambswool, angora and nylon) together. I think I have enough of the merino to make a scarf for my stepdad, and the angora-mix? ... No idea what to do with that. I was going to use it for socks, then it bloomed like crazy.  No idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
Would like to swap for broken (torn) dollar bills! I have an idea and don't want to use "good" money!
"They aleady have a soda like that. It's called Soylent Cola."
"How is it?"
"Eh, varies from person to perso
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007 02:41:13 PM »

Those are gorgeous yarns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007 02:54:57 PM »

oooh I adore that rich golden color! Wonderful! The first wheel I spun on was an s15. now Im spinning on an ashford trad and I dont really like it...  Where in the world did you find a wheel for so cheap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
SeeMe

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007 06:35:15 PM »

oooh I adore that rich golden color! Wonderful! The first wheel I spun on was an s15. now Im spinning on an ashford trad and I dont really like it...  Where in the world did you find a wheel for so cheap?

At an estate auction! It's funny, we almost missed it! But then we went there, looked at the stuff, and saw the wheel. If we had waited another thirty seconds, we might have got it for a freaking dollar! Definitley check out estate sales and auctions in your area. And also garage sales (i have another wheel, an antique, that I bought for 125 at a garage sale!) Also, I have REALLY good luck with buying fiber related stuff. (got a vintage Brother knitting machine for 30$, and a loom for 35$. Let's not go into the, um, 20 or so pairs of sock blockers.. for a dollar...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
Would like to swap for broken (torn) dollar bills! I have an idea and don't want to use "good" money!
"They aleady have a soda like that. It's called Soylent Cola."
"How is it?"
"Eh, varies from person to perso
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
These Vintage Advertisements Are Not Kind To Women
Natural Beauty Products for Your Face, Body and Hair
Healthy Breakfast Oatmeal Recipe
The 411 on Cosmetic Injections
NewBeauty Magazine Beauty Choice Awards: Product Highlights
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...