A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tips for salvaging yarn from thrift-store sweaters?  (Read 993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sushi the Great
« on: June 04, 2007 08:49:04 AM »

I've heard of people unraveling thrift-store sweaters and reusing the yarn, and I wanted to try it so I bought a couple of sweaters this weekend.  Unfortunately they are machine knitted in such a way that you only get a foot-long length of yarn at a time before the piece ends.  I'm guessing they're done this way so the whole sweater won't unravel if you get a snag in it, but I was pretty disappointed.  Has anyone who has done this before have any tips on how to tell if a sweater is knitted normally?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007 09:29:05 AM »

There is a thread on this here.  There are several good tutorials online as well.

That's too bad about the sweaters you got.  Could you felt them to re-use them that way? 
Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007 09:34:20 AM »

sorry i don't have specific links, but if you google "how to recycle sweater yarn" you'll get a lot of information.

one of the first things (which you learned the hard way) is that not all sweater are "good' to unravel.

the first thing you'll learn is how to "read" the seams for those that can be unraveled.

don't give up because the first sweater wasn't what you wanted.

good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007 10:02:51 AM »

I've worked with pieces like that before. Are you saying the seams were serged so its coming off in pieces, or that when you cut it apart it starting coming off like that?

Two very different problems.

Anyway, I wanted to say I've used the pieces spun together with other yarns to make interesting stuff. That way, if you have to knot them together, it kinda blends in with the overall look of all of the yarns strung together (I'm talking like five-ten different strands at once). They look cool - think like the Swamp Witch from anticraft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007 10:22:43 AM »

Or you could dye some of them and use the short lengths in a multicolor something or another...

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Sushi the Great
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007 11:04:24 AM »

I've worked with pieces like that before. Are you saying the seams were serged so its coming off in pieces, or that when you cut it apart it starting coming off like that?

I'm not sure.  On one of them I cut the seam out of the sleeve and started unraveling and the pieces would just stop once I got to the other end.  I'm guessing that one had serged seams.  On the other one the yarn was knotted at either end of a rib, it's sort of hard for me to explain properly. 

I've been trying to think of other uses for the sweaters if I can't use the yarn.  One is cotton/linen and the other is silk/cotton, so I wouldn't be able to felt them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ComradeSnarky
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007 11:31:56 AM »

On the other one the yarn was knotted at either end of a rib, it's sort of hard for me to explain properly. 

There may be hope for unraveling this one.  I've found that ribbing won't unravel from the cast-on edge up; you should try unraveling it from the top down instead before you give up on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007 01:47:40 PM »

It's a misunderstanding that machine-knit sweaters cannot be unraveled without getting short strands of yarn. It's a) entirely possible to knit seamless garments on some knitting machines, and b) not the fact that a garment is machine-knit that makes unraveling it a problem. The problem is when the seams are done with a SERGER because it cuts the fabric as it sews. That would be a problem for hand-knit items as well. (I've heard many hand knitters tell me "Oh, this couldn't be machine knit because it's hand seamed" - boy are they wrong! The vast majority of sweaters in stores are machine knit whether they're hand seamed or serged.)

I've unraveled many, many machine-knit sweaters. You just have to find sweaters that are either seamless (many Banana Republic sweaters are, for example) or not put together with a serger. Just check the seams in the store and see if they're the kind you can take out (the most obvious way to spot them is to look for the tell-tale serger seam).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
3catnight
big scary American girl

Once again a three-cat night!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007 03:31:41 PM »

Look for sweaters that don't have serged seams. If they do, the pieces were cut out of a larger piece of knitted fabric and sewn together - useless for unraveling.

The kind of seams you want have a knitted selvedge and are sewn together the way you'd sew your own hand-knitted sweater. Do not cut these seams - that defeats your whole purpose.

It might take some careful inspection to find the yarn/thread that's holding the pieces together - it might be the same stuff that the sweater's made of, or it might be a little thinner. Try to spread the selvedges apart and see if you can spot a strand that runs back and forth between them. Once you find this, snip it with small scissors or a seam ripper. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find a chain-stitched seam that you can just pull at one end and unravel the whole thing. More often you'll have to pull it out meticulously, one stitch at a time. It takes patience - always be sure you're cutting the right strand.

J.Crew makes sweaters that are very easy to unravel, and the yarn is excellent quality. I've been lucky to find several of these lately in thrift stores (I wonder if they all belonged to the same person).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007 06:27:59 PM »

I'm not sure.  On one of them I cut the seam out of the sleeve and started unraveling and the pieces would just stop once I got to the other end.  I'm guessing that one had serged seams.  On the other one the yarn was knotted at either end of a rib, it's sort of hard for me to explain properly. 

I've been trying to think of other uses for the sweaters if I can't use the yarn.  One is cotton/linen and the other is silk/cotton, so I wouldn't be able to felt them.

Well, that could be part of the problem. On some sweaters the sleeves are wonky. I usually stop at the ribbing when I tear mine apart, its just too darn frustrating a lot of the time (esp. if its a fuzzy wool).

I've unraveled many, many machine-knit sweaters. You just have to find sweaters that are either seamless (many Banana Republic sweaters are, for example) or not put together with a serger. Just check the seams in the store and see if they're the kind you can take out (the most obvious way to spot them is to look for the tell-tale serger seam).

I would have to agree! J Crew sweaters tend to be good ones, as well as a lot of the slightly older Gap sweaters. I've also noticed esp. with wool, boys sweaters tend to be better. I get my cotton/cashmere in the womens section.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer Product Review
Drop the Flatiron and Learn How to Style Your Natural Curls
Bibhu Mohapatra Spring 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Nail Trend
Best Razors
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...