A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 305,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glastonbury meets IKEA  (Read 14267 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2007 04:36:59 AM »

Back when I got the pillowcases for my famous IKEA skirt, I also bought a Tanja shower curtain that caught my eye from across the store and was conveniently marked down to a fiver. It's stayed in my fabric stash ever since, just waiting for the perfect project, which presented itself in the form of this Burda WOF 60s dress from the May 2007 issue. It turned out to be the perfect fabric for this dress, considering that Glastonbury is coming up in a few weeks and I've been wanting something special to wear (and let's face it, if the famous downpours happen again this year, this dress is ready for them!!), and because the pink piping matches my hot pink wellies perfectly.

(more photos on fehrtrade.com)

I chose to line the bust portion with a white cotton bedsheet from our hotel linen stash, and I interlined the rest of the dress since the shower curtain is 100% poyester and I figured soft cotton would be nicer on the skin. I've never attempted pipng before, either inserting store-bought let alone making my own piping, so there was definitely a learning curve involved! I made my own piping with some string from the hardware store and bias strips cut from the pink jersey I used in the Pucci tunic. Curse Burda to make the very first seam on the entire dress a piped princess-line bust curve though!!

Overall, I am deliriously happy with the way this dress fits, moves, and looks. The IKEA shower curtain proved to be the perfect fabric to give this dress a bit of body without resorting to a crinoline, and the print is perfect for hot summery days (like today!). I'll definitely be taking this to Glastonbury (a nice bonus is that it doesn't wrinkle!!) and updating my site with photos afterwards.

Edit: And here I am wearing it on the Saturday at Glastonbury (I think this was during Lily Allen!). It stood up really well - the rain beaded on the fabric and I only got a few spots of mud around the hemline, which all came out in the wash!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007 02:39:11 AM by squirrellypoo - Reason: adding a photo of me wearing it at Glasto » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
kristiem10
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007 04:42:41 AM »

Absolutely gorgeous!  You are so talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fingertip
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007 05:48:30 AM »

I don't know how to tell you how amazing your dress actually is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
Midnightoak
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007 06:14:50 AM »

Fantastic use of a shower curtain!  Shocked

THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatyBoo
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007 07:12:11 AM »

Fabulous dress! I'm going to Glastonbury too Cheesy and I keep bugging my dad to take me to ikea (brand new textiles in store now - stupid advert!) damn not being able to drive! So I had to look at this topic! See ya there Wink

xk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007 07:33:05 AM »

That's a gorgeous dress! I can't believe it's made of a shower curtain! I love the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Mienna
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007 08:23:43 AM »

What a great dress, I love the material!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kenners
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007 08:52:26 AM »

I'll look out for it when we're there! If I see it I will come compliment in person, but for now you will have to cope with internet praise. Its gorgeous and I'm very very jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Generation Artisan

"Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
burningoffandon
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007 08:57:24 AM »

I love absolutely everything about that dress!
It looks so professional too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecinahs3000
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007 09:10:55 AM »

That is fabulous! You did a great job on the piping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make an African Bean Mask
Materials Used for African Mask Making
How to Make a Woven Paper Kite Part 1
How to Make a Woven Paper Kite Part 2
AD Kicks Off Art Basel Miami Beach with a Swinging Celebration
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars
June 29, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...