A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brothers  (Read 1324 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kittymoose
« on: June 03, 2007 08:18:34 PM »

Ok. So. My mom got me a sewing machine for my birthday/graduation present. (sucks having graduation 5 days after your birthday). It's a Brother LS-2125i. Whatever that means. I dunno, my mom got me the cheapest one from walmart. So what I'd like to know, is should I secretly save the receipt and return it in a few weeks? What's been the crafter experiance with this kind of machine? The only ones I've ever used were my gramma's 1950s Kenmore and the school's old old Singers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cantus

Music grows in the rose

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007 08:23:58 PM »

I've got the same thing. I have to fix the bobbin a lot, but that may be my inexperience with a sewing machine (somehow, I'm suspicious it isn't.)

They aren't incredible. Don't try sewing three layers of thick felt together, or any serious denim work.

I make puppets out of fur, I make costumes out of old clothes. My machine works. It's a little frustrating, but it works. If you think you can get a better one soon, and you really want to- go for it. Still, if you aren't sewing huge, thick things, it'll work okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymoose
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007 08:25:48 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. I had my heart set on a Singer like the ones at school but alas. Maybe I'll deal with this one for a while and eventually go to the used singer store right by my house. I make my own clothes, and i would like to do some denim (mostly hemming jeans), so I'll have to find something that works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gina-marie
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007 07:59:09 AM »

i had a brother that had the bobbin tucked underneath and that wrecked it for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knuckstermom
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007 10:40:52 AM »

whatever machine you have be sure to change to a denim needle before you sew heavy fabric or several layers. Almost any machine will sew several(3-5) layers of denim if it has the right needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftypixie

opinions were like kittins, I was giving them away

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007 02:51:13 PM »

I recently bought a Brother machine I have the Inovis NX-450 I love it. However befor I made that purchase I bought a CS 6000i from walmart and the tension on it was horrible. I thought maybe it was just a dud so I went and exchanged it for a different one and the same thing happened it was skipping stitches on the decoratives and the tension was off on the utility stitches. Feed up I went to a local machine dealer I looked at Pfaff's, vikings, and Brothers. I ended up going with a brother it seemed like the best bang for my buck and I love it. It has sewed perfect stitches for the day I took it out of the box. I bought it in April and I sew a lot more now that I have a good machine.
My advice is if it's giving you problems already return it and go to a reputable dealer and look at their machines. They should have something in your price range, and you will get support for your machine from tham as well
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cumber1137
Livin' to swap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007 09:11:59 AM »

I have a Brother and it's great. You have to change the needle if you want to sew that many layers of fabric. It sounds like you just don't have much experience with sewing machines. A more expensive machine is not necessarily  better and in my experience Brother is one of the best for the money. I don't like Singers. They aren't being made as well as they used to. No machine works perfectly, you need to adjust yourself for every new machine you work with. Have you tried using it? If you don't like how it works I would get a different one. Brother's are great, but you may just prefer a different style or brand of machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist --> http://www.wists.com/cumber1137

"Huzza for the tipper with the squished up boobs" - Luke from Gilmore Girls.
paroper
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007 06:50:47 PM »

Some of the machines that are sold at Wal Mart are not that great.  The quality of the machines sold under the Brother name is kind of all over the place.  There are some really great inexpensive Brother machines and there are some that are just trash.  I really don't know about this one.  The 270D is pretty popular as a starting sewing/embroidery machine.  They start (I think) somewhere in the neighborhood of $369.  There is a Singer 200 that is considered to be quite similar.  The machines that are used in the schools are basic mahines BUT They are not at the bottom of the line. If I were to purchase a machine, I'd much prefer a Brother from a dealer than a Singer.  I've heard that Singer quality has improved over the past few years but they went through a really bad time and they just aren't my favorite machine.  Plus, Singer, Husky/Viking and Pfaff and (I think Elna is in that mix too?) have just consolidated into one company.  Who knows what will happen with that, whether they'll keep all three companies/machines or if they will drop machines or brand names.  My luck would be that they would not stock parts for the machine I purchased....if I were serious about one of these, I'd wait a few years and see what happens.  Right now Pfaff looks like the healthiest part of the company.   
'
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tools of the Trade
Low Light Digital Photography
Simple Supplementary Lighting
Finding and Archiving Digital Images
Photographing Black and White Images
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...