A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why must all my dresses make me look pregnant?  (Read 629 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

geekburger

I'm a Beastie!

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2007 04:40:29 PM »

Not that pregnant is a bad thing. Just not the look I'm going for at this point in time. Wink

I have a little waist, and I have a hard time making myself dresses that fit in the waist and top, with bigger skirts. So I've tried gathering the skirts now, but they always puff out way too much.

Any suggestions for making dresses that have fitted tops and flared-ish/a-line skirts (skirts don't even have to be super flared - my butt's not that big, I just like the wider skirt.)

Then again, maybe I just have a special talent for looking pregnant.  Tongue

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007 07:57:23 PM »

I also have a small waist, but my stomach is sort of rounded below the waist (belly-button area).  I can't wear dresses that have an empire waistline, or ones that poof out at the waist.

You might try adding a belt around your natural waistline, it will make you look slimmer.  Or drop the waists a bit on your dresses to around your hips, and let them flare out from there.

This dress is probably not a good idea:
http://www.craftaustralia.com.au/forum/2006/img_bio/Mrs_Woo_Alice_weeps.jpg

But this one probably is:
https://www.magicmomentsprom.com/item_images/me_PF1145.jpg

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Miss Lauren
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007 10:27:20 AM »

See now you didn't mention the rest of you but I've got a tiny frame so small bust, tiny waist and larger hips so most things ever look to big or pregnant (not the best look when I'm 19 but actually look about 13- the looks I get!!)

I'm currently making Simplicity 3833 shift dress, view D with an A line skirt and I also love New Look 6457 as the skirts aren't too pouffy and the waists can easily be altered to find better. Someone recently made a gorgeous Batik dress on the completed section with a Butterick halterneck pattern which looked amazing and really nipped in the waist so I'd have a lookies for that post. I also really like 50's style dresses to give a more hourglass, curvy figure so halternecks, nipped in waist stlyes are good- have you tried looking at company's like Stop Staring for ideas?

Lauren x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007 09:29:24 PM »

You could add a sash around the waist to help nip it in more. It's not the best look with some styles, but I think it could work with many of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Amy Wechsler
Authors Reveal Their Favorites
Meet Author Philip Smith
Meet Author Jimmy Carter
Meet Food Writer Michael Ruhlman
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...