A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tiny wallet that fits everything! **now with pic heavy tutorial on pg 2**  (Read 29685 times)
Tags for this thread: wallet , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

petchy
Self confessed fabric junkie

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007 06:30:03 AM »

That's really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solveig
take a look at my creative blog
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007 06:30:26 AM »

This is great!  It's extremely effective for carrying as little out as necessary.  Over the weekend, I took my daughter to a local amusement park and I wound up sticking keys in one pocket, folded-over bills and a credit card in another, phone in another, and coins in yet another little coin pouch!  This wallet would have made it a little less complicated!  Tongue  

I think the plastic looks fine.  But you could try using the thinner vinyl instead.  I especially love the pockets on the outside and the fabric is so cheerful and Summer-y!  Great job on this!  Cheesy

*PS:  While in said amusement park, there was a water-park part, too, that we were in.  Wouldn't it be great to somehow "vinylize" the whole wallet on the outside so everything stays dry?   Hmmm... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
saintlexi
Saint Lexi

Saint Lexi

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007 10:10:14 AM »

i love this!! perfect size and super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

delilah_bird
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007 12:57:24 PM »

Thanks for all the great comments!! I'm working on a tutorial for anyone who's interested... hopefully it will be up soon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollylynne

step away from the cashmere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007 04:00:34 PM »

i love it!! i'm all about efficient little wallets that will fit inside of the wristlets i make. nice job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenny.bloodless
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007 01:37:12 PM »

I am absolutely interested in a tutorial! This is perfect. I use my little mini coin purse for everything anyway but sometimes I hold up the line when I'm fishing through my cards to find the cash hidden in between and then having to move everything around just to dump out a few coins is a pain the rear if I do say so myself. I really love this design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Someday, somewhere anywhere, unfailingly, you'll find yourself, and that, and only that, can be the happiest or bitterest hour of your life. - Pablo Neruda
delilah_bird
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007 07:51:26 AM »

1.) Pick out the fabric and assemble all the materials including:
- 4 Pieces of Outer Fabric (~5.5 x 4.5)
- 4 Pieces of Liner Fabric (~5.5 x 4.5)
- 1 Zipper (~4-4.5)
- 1 Piece of Clear Plastic or Vinyl (not shown in the picture) (~5.5 x 4)

2.) Assembling the ID Pocket:

First you need to measure the size of the ID that you are going to be showing in this pocket. These measurements will serve as a sizing for the rest of the wallet. I did a simple guess by laying down the ID in the center of the fabric and marking around the corners as shown in the pic:

Once you measure out and mark those spots the next step is to cut out the piece of fabric between them and then cut the corners at an angle as shown in the next 2 pics:

Next, iron down all the little flaps of fabric so they lay flat:

You then want to measure out the plastic/vinyl so that it sits half to a quarter of an inch over the flaps. Then take the top length portion of the fabric and fold it over the vinyl. Sew that and then all 4 ironed flaps to the vinyl:

Back view of all 4 flaps and top portion sewn:

Front view of all portions sewn:

Now you need to sew one of the liner fabrics to one of the outer fabrics. This will serve as the liner behind the ID pocket. Measure how far down you want the ID pocket to go on the outer fabric, then sew the liner piece on, flip it over and iron it as shown in the next 2 pics:

Sew:

Iron (note how the liner fabric is sewed on lower than the outer fabric):

To temporarily finish off the ID pocket, set the straight stitch on your sewing machine to a long length, line up what you just sewed with the outer fabric and vinyl portion of the ID pocket, and put in a quick stitch at the width end of the fabric:

3.) Assembling the back card pocket:

You need 1 piece of outer fabric and 1 piece of liner fabric. Face the good sides together and then sew around the outside:

Turn it right side out and iron it flat:

*** This is where things get a little tricky and I hope that the pictures help show what I'm talking about, but if not let me know and I can try to explain it better ***

4.) Sewing on the zipper:

For reference (and perhaps a better explanation), the way I attached the zipper  and finished off the rest of the wallet is very similar to the steps in this excellent tutorial:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=22875.0

Take the ID pocket and a piece of liner fabric, lay them on the zipper with the good sides facing in, make sure you arrange the zipper so that it lines up evenly with the ID pocket.

Then sew it down:

Turn the 2 pieces of fabric over, iron them, and do the same thing to the other side of the zipper (this time with just a plain piece of outer fabric and a liner piece)

After ironing, this is what it should look like from the side:

You then want to pin on the piece you have set aside for the card pocket as shown in this picture (arrow):

5.) Sewing it all together:

This is the biggest and most crucial step, I highly recommend the previously posted link for perhaps a better explanation of what to do, but again, if you have any questions I will try to answer them as best I can.

What you need to do now is to unzip the zipper halfway. Then, take the two liner pieces and lay them on top of one another good sides facing in. Do the same for the outer fabric. Take out your ID or a credit card and double check your preferred length and width for the wallet, make sure you make it slightly larger than the actual size of the card (since you're going to need a little give when you put your money in the zippered pocket and cram in 5 or 6 cards into the pocket). double check that the zipper is lined up properly with your dimensions. If you prefer to pin things then you can pin everything in place. After it is all lined up and assemble sew it as shown in the picture (arrows) but make sure you leave the bottom portion of the liner fabrics unsewn:

After you've sewn it all the way around, trim off any excess fabric. Open up the zipper as far as you can (which is somewhat difficult as it should be completely inside out at this point). Looking into the open liner bottom, you want to turn the entire thing right-side-out:

Finally, fold the remaining open section of the liner inside of itself and sew across the bottom:

Tuck the liner into the wallet, add little embellishments -optional- (I added a little flower bead to the zipper) and you're FINISHED!!!!!....(almost)

6.) Show off your finished wallet!

If you make one I would love to see it so please post pictures! Also, again if you have any questions or comments I would love to hear them and I will try to respond to them as best as I can. Happy Crafting!

-M
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007 08:13:43 AM by delilah_bird » THIS ROCKS   Logged
owl be there
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007 08:35:56 AM »

yayy! great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007 09:56:39 AM »

Thank you for the tute! Awesome wallet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
JuliaAnn
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007 08:02:43 PM »

Thanks for the tut.  Now I will have to make one for my sister.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...