A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,903
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where can you find awesome swimwear fabric? Is spandex dye/paintable?  (Read 1908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katatsumuli
« on: June 03, 2007 07:47:08 AM »

I'll put the questions at the front.

Do you know of a place with strange/awesome swimwear fabric prints? (or with done swimming suits that aren't only for bulk sale to stores)

What search terms have you had success with on ebay/the internet for finding strange/awesome swimwear fabric?

Is it possible to dye/paint on/embroider spandex and still have it look good and be just as stretchy?

Thank you Smiley

For years I've been looking for a swimsuit that didn't have stupid tropical flowers on it, something that has a really strange print. (Yes, I know this year the flowers are vintage folky, not tropical, and they're gorgeous, but I still want something stranger.) A few years ago I saw one with planets but for various reasons didn't buy it, and I've been regretting that ever since. A swimsuit with galaxies on it would be the coolest thing ever, but there has to be other awesome fabric out there too.  Maybe it's easier to find fabric to make one than to search for a complete suit, so I've been trying that for the most part.

I've tried searching ebay and the internet for cool prints, but have not had much luck. (Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms? I've been trying things like spandex swimwear fabric.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

@  @,  .@  _@:  _@=  _@v   _@V   ..........._@V -(<3)
stacysews
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007 11:02:47 AM »

I've purchased swimwear fabric from ebay (big4fabrics was the seller) - they seem to have a very large selection with some unusual prints.  I typically search for nylon, lycra or spandex when I search. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007 03:15:18 PM »

I have never made an actual swimsuit, but is the material you'd use just 4-way stretch?

If that's the case, I'd check out Spandex House. They have a huge selection and some of them are quite interesting! I have never ordered from them, though, so I can't speak to that. I probably will at some point, just haven't yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katatsumuli
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007 05:18:15 AM »

Thank you guys both very much  Cheesy.  I'll keep looking. (Hey, Spandex House is pretty sweet. I see a cloudy sky one. Ebay and Big4fabrics has some gorgeous things too.) (Also Stacy, your swimsuits are awesome. That's what got me to ask this here in the first place.)

I have never made an actual swimsuit
I haven't either, but I'll try  Grin.
(Maybe with this many nice patterns I'll end up with too many and make some for my sister. She's a D cup though, and I have no idea how to support that  Huh.)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007 05:58:26 AM by katatsumuli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

@  @,  .@  _@:  _@=  _@v   _@V   ..........._@V -(<3)
stacysews
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007 07:21:39 AM »

Thanks!  I actually enjoyed making swimsuits - they are a lot easier than what you think they'd be to make!  As for patterns, I highly recommend Kwik Sew or Jalie (a bit more difficult to get a hold of, you'd have to purchase them online).  I did see that McCall has a new one this year too (with lots of options).  I picked it up, but haven't tried it yet:
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5400.htm?tab=sportswear_suits_jackets_coats&page=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007 08:43:48 AM »

(Maybe with this many nice patterns I'll end up with too many and make some for my sister. She's a D cup though, and I have no idea how to support that  Huh.)

You can buy a swim bra at Junonia.com (expensive, but worth it IMHO) and then make supportless swim wear to wear over the bra. Works for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Penguillama
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012 07:06:17 PM »

I would give your local (large) fabric store a try. Lycra is probably most appropriate for swimwear--I just went to a fabric outlet in the city, and they had a table dedicated to swimwear lycra. you could try dyeing a swatch, but I don't think lycra or spandex would take the pigments very well. other than that, ebay would be best for obscure fabrics.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012 07:09:04 PM by Penguillama » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Super Bowl Team Tee
Spotted: Kristen Stewart in Plaid - Twice!
Emilia Wickstead Spring 2014 London Fashion Week
Fashion Palette Spring 2014 New York Fashion Week
Emilio De La Morena Spring 2014 London Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...