A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leaf Camisole Knit.1 Summer '07  (Read 8800 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rescuewife
« on: June 02, 2007 08:43:54 PM »

Anyone else like this pattern? I thought it looked very summery and quick to knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007 05:48:16 AM »

Hi Rescuewife.  I am up for this!!  Grin In fact, i started this yesterday before i found this knitalong.

However, i am an experienced knitter and Irish (and not used to reading American patterns) and i have reached an impass with the pattern ... Do you know that "Work even for 3 rows means?"  It asks you to do this after the first set of decrease rows in the "make the front" section (second paragraph).  I have never come this phrase "work even" before and i am stumped.  When you get this far and if you know what it means, please can you let me know.  I thought that you are maybe supposed to knit the "lace rib pattern" but as it is worked in mulitples of 21 stitches, this does fit in either!

Any help would be great!!  I have emailed knit1 for help, but i don't know how long to takes from them to reply.

Apart from the confusion, it has been great fun and very adictive!!!  Grin

P.S i am knitting the large size, i  also don't know how large is "large" but i think the roomier the better on hot days! tee hee hee ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007 06:10:31 AM »

Panic over, i have read through the magazine and it says that "work even" means to continue knitting without any increases or decreases!!  Phew ... at least i can crack on with it.  Still not sure about how to do this and if i can figure out where all the "yarn over's" go, but will see how i go!  Will post some pictures soon!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rescuewife
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007 01:36:50 PM »

Hi Scarlet,

I bought my yarn last night and cast on my stitches...then the baby woke up!

I am not a very experienced knitter, and have never done lace before, so you will be way ahead of me.

I'm looking forwad to seeing pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007 05:17:01 AM »

I will try and get pictures soon.  I am not using the yarn that they recommend, as Cotton Ease is not very available in the UK.  I use an online supplier to buy it and she will be selling the yarn for the pattern in near future.  So until it is available, i am knitting it a more textural cotton so the lace is not as obvious as it would be with the correct yarn.  Also i am knitting it in red, so nothing like a lettuce leaf at all!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rescuewife
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007 11:39:16 AM »

I did go ahead and buy the cotton ease, even though I wasn't sure I'd like having 50% acrylic. We live in Florida, so I prefer natural fibers because summers are so hot!

I don't believe it was very expensive; if you like the pattern and want to knit it again in the cotton-ease I'd be happy to send it to you.

My good friend lives in England, but she is a non-knitter so I haven't asked her about yarn options there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apixiegrl
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007 12:00:46 PM »

I was thinking of knitting this also.. I have 3 projects on the needles atm.. as soon as I finish one or 2 I'm in..I have some cotton yarn in my stash . I have to do a gauge swatch to see if it will work.. If not I'm going to use the cotton-ease. I also live in florida.. but I think the cotton ease will be ok.. maybe it will absorb perspiration hehehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rescuewife
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007 12:03:38 PM »

I was thinking the acrylic might help it keep its shape better. It's soft and I like knitting with it so far.

Where in FL are you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apixiegrl
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007 04:54:49 PM »

I live near orlando.. from experience .. I knit the tank top in last minute knitted gifts out of a cotton tape and as I wore it .. it started stretching..and.. cough.. it got scary..so maybe the acrylic will hold it's shape.. (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rescuewife
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007 09:33:17 PM »

I got through row 7 and realized I only have 86 sts on the needles! (I'm making the small.) I have NO idea what I did wrong. This is my first lace project and my first top. (I did most of a sweater in Colinette Point 5 but put it down when it got too hot to think about it).

So I'm going to pull it out and start again. My first hint of trouble was the directions for odd rows, "K the knits and p the purls." Being a fairly new knitter, I didn't know which was which when I looked at it! I think I can tell the difference now.

When it says to k1 p1 into the double yarn overs, does that mean I knit and purl the same stitch before I slip it off the left needle?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007 05:05:26 AM »

Hi rescuewife!  Don't panic!  I had to start the project twice and i am a confident knitter!!  I was losing stitches all over the place in my first go.  I hope i can answer your questions....
When it says to k1 p1 into the double yarn overs, does that mean I knit and purl the same stitch before I slip it off the left needle?
When you have wrapped the yarn twice around the needle in "yo twice" or however it is shown (i don't have the pattern in front of me).  You get two loops on the needle, in effect, two new stitches!  Therefore, you knit (k1) into the first "loop" and purl (p1) into the second loop on your left needle.  However, depending on how tightly you knit, it may seem that the yarn overs have disappeared when you come around to a actually knitting into them.  It may mean you need to do the yarn over more loosely when you initially create them.

Thanks for the offer to post the yarn to me!!  That is so kind.  however, panic over, the yarn has just become available on the website i use (http://www.banyantreeyarns.com/). So if i like the top when it is finished, i will order the yarn and knit it again in cotton-ease!

I hope this has been of help, please don't hestiate if you need me to explain anything else!

Wink
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007 04:44:16 AM by Scarlet » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rescuewife
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007 08:14:04 AM »

Thanks! Yes, I think I must be doing the yarn overs too tightly, as it was hard to see that there were 2 new stitches.

I recast last night and worked through row 4... we'll see how it goes now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007 04:20:05 PM »

does anyone have a picture of it??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
rescuewife
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007 06:22:52 PM »

It's in the newest Knit.1 magazine. I can scan it for you but I've never posted a photo on craftster so I can't guarantee I'll do it right!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apixiegrl
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007 09:57:50 PM »

I have a picture on my blog of the picture in the magazine with the yarn I plan to use.. scroll down a bit... it's the last picture on that post.
http://magicpixieknitter.blogspot.com/2007/05/things-that-were-are-now-and-will-be.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007 08:03:55 AM by apixiegrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007 09:59:43 PM »

Great progress! Lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
rescuewife
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007 08:52:39 AM »

I have a picture on my blog of the picture in the magazine with the yarn I plan to use.. scroll down a bit... it's the last picture on that post.
http://magicpixieknitter.blogspot.com/2007/05/things-that-were-are-now-and-will-be.html

I LOVE that diamond shawl! Is it a pattern or your own design?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apixiegrl
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007 08:52:06 PM »

The shawl pattern is from the book Victorian lace today. It's the second pattern in the book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rescuewife
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007 08:51:49 AM »

The shawl pattern is from the book Victorian lace today. It's the second pattern in the book.
I keep reading great reviews of the book. I see why!

My leaf camisole is coming along slowly but surely. I have to wait until all 3 kids are in bed so I don't get distracted and lose my place~ I've never done anything but stockinette, garter, or seed stitch. I tried to knit with Conan O'Brien and even got lost listening to him!

I'm on row 10 of the front so nothing worth showing yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007 10:00:44 AM »

Here is my progress so far...

I'm knitting it is slightly thinner yarn than the recommended, so it has less structure, but i quite like the more flowing qualities of this cotton yarn.  I'm also making the body about 5 cm longer than the pattern suggests, as most of my skirts sit low on my hips and i don't want to show too much tummy/white Northern Irish flesh!!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007 10:01:24 AM by Scarlet » THIS ROCKS   Logged
apixiegrl
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007 12:01:08 PM »

wow that looks great so far.. I want to start mine now.. I'm still finishing up a project..I like it in red.. (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rescuewife
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007 01:23:10 PM »

It looks lovely! I might knit mine longer, too... no one wants to see a belly that's been used by three babies! I like that the model in the magazine is wearing it over a blouse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007 01:10:03 AM »

I will definitely wear a top under this cami when i finish it.  The thinner yarn i have been using means that it is quite lacey (much more so than it implies in the photo in the magazine)!!  Eek!  And i think i will need something underneath to protect my modesty!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rescuewife
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007 06:48:28 AM »

Yes, they always use super skinny models with no obvious flaws, don't they?! Does it get very warm in Ireand? Around here I would love to be able to wear just a lacy cami!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apixiegrl
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007 09:23:33 AM »

the bodice seems a little small to me..I might have to make the medium size top and smaller size bottom.. I hope that will work out. Using the thicker yarn and condensing it down with smaller needles probably helps the top stay a less revealing. I have yet to do my gauge swatch.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarlet
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007 05:59:30 AM »

Hi  rescuewife!!

I now live in the South of England and we get quite tempermental summers.  Sometimes is can be as hot as 82F - 86F, but usually between 68 - 77F, so i will wear a cardigan over it, as i live on the coast and it can be quite breezy.  But then we can have a cold rainy Summers sometimes, but that doesn't happen so much in the South of England, it is more likely in Northern Ireland as it is a lot further north!  Cheesy  I though Florida would be hot, hot hot in the Summer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rescuewife
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007 09:53:46 PM »

Well that's pretty warm if it's humid! It's hot here already, in the 90s. But I live on the coast so there's a nice breeze and just a few minutes' drive to the beach.

I am at an impasse on my cami. I finished the leaf pattern on the front and started the ribbing... I'm on row 15, having worked the first set of insructions twice, then the second set 3 times, yet I have nearly a third of the fabric left and no idea what to do!

What did I miss?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007 05:22:23 AM »

I don't have the pattern with me at the moment, but i will check it when i get home... I just remember that when i was in that section, it was confusing.  I am not sure if this is the problem you are having, but when it tells you to knit straight, do the same repeating pattern across the rows, just don't do any decreases, just knit or purl them like normal stitches.  So you will be doing a decrease row followed by the same pattern again in the next rows, just do not do the decreases...

Anyway, if you can maybe elaborate on "I have nearly a third of the fabric left and no idea what to do" that would be really helpful, as i am totally stumped too   Huh Sorry... But then it may be clearer if i had the pattern with me at the moment!!  D'Oh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rescuewife
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007 08:08:19 PM »

Hi again,

I set it aside for a few days to look at the pattern with fresh eyes and I may have figured out the problem!

The first row of the "Beg rib pattern" says to do the stitches in brackets 3 times. I think I may have only done the stitches on the second line of print 3 times! That's what I get for knitting after midnight.

Any suggestions on the best way to un-knit 67 sts without screwing up my leaf pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wabbit
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007 09:07:00 AM »

Has anybody reached the front decreases (a.k.a the breast part)? I just can't get the math right! If I knit the given number of rows I only get half of the decreases I need, because what they call the RS decrease row actually decreases nothing, except for the first time when you're asked to bind of 2 x 15 sts... So if I "cont to dec in this manner", I only decrease on the WS rows and have too many sts left. Bah.

I guess you didn't understand anything unless you happen to have the same problem Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Even if I were thinking, which I am not, that would not show that I exist."
apixiegrl
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007 01:35:10 PM »

"UMMER 2007 ISSUE OF KNIT.1

All corrections are underlined.
Pattern ##10 Leaf Camisole

photo on page 37, instructions begin on page 79

The instructions for a WS row were omitted from the FRONT.

Please add the following uppercase line of text to the fourth paragraph/third dec row:

Dec row (RS) K1 (3, 5), yo, ....63(67, 71) sts. WORK EVEN FOR ONE ROW.

Next row (RS) ....."
I found that on the website under oops.. maybe that will help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarlet
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007 03:29:17 AM »

I have now finsihed the front of my top (minus the cups, as i haven't done these yet).  I have to admit that i made up the last bit for the shaping for the cups, as the pattern was really vague and i ended up with too many stitches too!  Anyway, i have just discovered that even the large is too small and i am a Uk size 12! (i think that is an American 8??)... Anyway, that will teach me for uses yarn thinner than the recommended and not swatching first!!

I may continue and see if blocking gives me more room, or a could knit some nice side panels to add extra room around the tummy area!!
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rescuewife
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2007 10:01:57 PM »

I have been at a standstill; my mom is visiting and I already figured out I can't knit this with anyone talking to me! I hope to catch up on vacation next week.

I pulled out that partial row of ribbing... hope I didn't twist any stitches or otherwise ruin the lace pattern.

When progress is made I'll post again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007 06:07:54 PM »

hello everyone. i just cast on for this last night. depending on how it turns out it may be a gift for my mother.

i am using the recommended cotton ease because i have some i bought for another project i messed up.

no pictures yet as i'm only on the 6th row of the leaf pattern at the front bottom.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007 08:09:17 PM »

heh.. I didn't know there was a knitalong for this.

I cast on yesterday..
this is the first 14 rows of the front:

Somehow I managed to mess up a SK2P.   Huh
I'm sure it's easily fixed though.

I'm using lion brand cotton ease, btw
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008 07:55:32 PM »

Hey, guys, I just picked up last year's magazine, and I must do this!  But, how did yours go?  I especially want to know about that beautiful red one!

Let me know!  I've never done any lace stuff at all, ever, so, um, any advice would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008 04:57:58 PM »

i never finished mine . i tried twice and ripped it out twice, it was hard Sad or there was a mistake in it. i do want to try it again though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
KnitaLLnite
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008 04:58:10 PM »

Hi! I just recently started this project a few days ago and I have a problem. After the first decrease row, It says to ?work even? I know what it means, without decreasing or increasing, but how is it done? One lady I met said to follow the pattern normally, but what pattern are we using?Huh akk. Is it the row right above it that says Next row:? None of them make any sense. =[ I have the right number of sts. but I don't know what to do and when. Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008 08:07:38 PM »

I haven't started myself, but my guess is knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches and for yo - p1 and double yo - p1k1?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnitaLLnite
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008 09:17:02 AM »

I thought about that but it doesn't make sense! One lady told me to work the pattern normally but I dont see what pattern? See Im guessing you have to continue the yo's and all the decreases and increases to make it the even part in work even. Can someone who has done this explain? Im totally lost and I need help--fast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008 06:18:10 PM »

I thought about that but it doesn't make sense! One lady told me to work the pattern normally but I dont see what pattern? See Im guessing you have to continue the yo's and all the decreases and increases to make it the even part in work even. Can someone who has done this explain? Im totally lost and I need help--fast!

look at the sts in the row below & follow them (i.e. knit for knit sts, purl for purl sts, and usually purl into yo).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnitaLLnite
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008 03:48:45 PM »

Is that supposed to continue the leaf pattern or does it just disappear? Just knitting and purling wouldn't continue the leaf pattern and then in the dec row It would go back. maybe I should look at it again but I think I need to take a break from this project and clear my mind. IM confused because If all your suppopsed to do is knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts, then wouldn't it just say to do that like the other rows?
Still confused!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008 04:05:33 PM »

the direction you were asking about was to 'work even for 1 row.'  The row after is when you look at what the pattern (or errata correcting that part of the pattern) is telling you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Quickie: How to Master Cat-Eye Liner
Beauty Test Lab: Rubber Varnish
Beauty Quickie: How to Make Your Mani Last
Beauty Quickie: The Quickest, Easiest Reverse French Manicure
Learn How Get a Denim Look on Your Nails
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...