A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Are these essential oils OK to use for soaps?  (Read 624 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftyteen
« on: June 02, 2007 03:16:35 PM »

I have been thinking about making soap for a while. Not the melt and pour, the real stuff. This morning at a garage sale, I came upon some small bottles of essential oils. The brand is aroma Therapy The label reads
             "100% essential oils"
             " This essential oil is at full strength. Do not use directly on skin or take internally."
            " For aroma diffuser use only"

So are these not OK to use in soaps? Undecided It sounds kind of stupid since it says that it is for aroma diffusers only but I wanted to check it out with you guys.

Thanks in advance for your input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolaness

Live Like You Mean It...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007 03:21:55 PM »

if they're 100% pure, it's fine - by the time you've blended it (i'm guessing you're doing hot process?) as long as you're using only a few drops, it's not going to hurt anything Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroravioletta
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007 04:58:48 PM »

Assuming that they are indeed 100% essential oil, it depends on which ones you use and how much you add. There are some essential oils that you need to be careful with in skin applications, and with any essential oil you need to be careful not to use too much.

If you're thinking of making soap from scratch, then I'm guessing you already have a bunch of resources on the craft. Do some research into safe percentages of essential oil to use in your kind of soapmaking, and check on the properties and safety notes of the individual oils you have. For cold process soaps, I've been told that up to 1 Tb essential oil per pound of soap is okay, but if the oil is a strong one, you'd want to use less. In Hot Process soapmaking, rebatching, melt & pour, etc, you'd also need to use less, but I haven't done much of those, so I don't know the recommended amount.

What scents are they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
craftyteen
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007 07:32:37 PM »

They are all 100% pure and natural essential oils.

I have not decided whether I want to try hot or cold process soap. I have absolutly no knowledge on the subject! I have only tried my hand at melt and pour.

Since they are for aromatherapy, many of them are mixtures of different oils. They are,

~Eucalyptus Globulus
~"Mind Rest" containing peppermint, lemon, rosemary, and eucalyptus
~ "Refresh and Revive" containing Siberian fir and eucalyptus
~" Lavender Tengerine Orange" containing Oleum Lavendulae, citrus reticulata, and citrus sinesis
~"Infinite Love" containing Ylang Ylang, tangerine, and sweet orange
~"peppermint" mentha piperita
~"Sweet Orange" citrus sinesis
~" calm Emotion" containing Petitgrain, manderin, lavandin super, and rose geranium
~"Soothe and Calm" containing lavandin super. lavender, sweet orange, and atlas cedarwood

Thank you both for your input. I really appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007 09:56:29 AM »

You can also use these EO's for linen sprays if you would prefer, for skin just dilute with a little carrier oil like sweet almond, olive or grapeseed.  Be careful with the citrus oils as they can cause photosensitivity.  I think the fir and cedar and eucalyptus oils are too strong too use neat on skin. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftophile

Craftophile: For the Love of Craft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007 10:03:08 AM »

By putting them in soap, you are dilluting them...therefore they aren't being "directly" applied to skin.

Oils ending in "mint" (peppermint, spearmint, etc) can also cause problems for some people. If you were selling them, obviously you would list the ingredients, if you were just making them for personal use or to give away, I would make sure that the person wasn't allergic to the ingredients.

A great place to learn about soapmaking is http://www.teachsoap.com. They cover all the different ways: cold, melt n' pour, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftophile.blogspot.com/
What is a Craftophile? 1. Lover of craft books. 2. Collector of craft books. 3. A place where you can find reviews of craft-related books, magazines, websites and more!
Editor, Craft Gossip Bath & Body http://bathnbody.craftgossip.com/
auroravioletta
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007 05:59:53 PM »

All those oils sound great for soap to me Smiley

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: Pioneer Studio Executive & Philanthropist
Sherry Lansing: True Love at 47
Sherry Lansing: The Choice to Work and Be Single
Sherry Lansing: Worthy of More
Sherry Lansing: The First Wives Club
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...