A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has anyone modified Butterick 3772 (toddler A-line sleeveless dress)?  (Read 1079 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rescuewife
« on: June 02, 2007 08:55:09 AM »

I love how quick and easy this pattern is; I've made 2 dresses so far but my little girl is so skinny she looks like she's wearing a tent!

I was thinking about adding some shirring at the back? Or maybe cutting the pieces narrower? I am not very experienced so I'm a little afraid to go chopping off pieces of the pattern.

Thanks for any suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nemejia
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007 09:35:17 AM »

you could always add ties to the back
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sexy mother
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007 11:23:41 AM »

sizing can be such a pain in the butt. Did you cut the pattern to her age or to her measurements? my DD#2 is nearly 7, she is the hight of an average 4-5 yo but measures to the size of an average 3 yo. Tracing the pattern means you can get the hight you want and the right measurements. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007 04:34:42 PM »

sizing can be such a pain in the butt. Did you cut the pattern to her age or to her measurements? my DD#2 is nearly 7, she is the hight of an average 4-5 yo but measures to the size of an average 3 yo. Tracing the pattern means you can get the hight you want and the right measurements. Hope this helps.

I'd have to second this.  Buy yourself a GIGANTIC pack of white tissue paper.  Most places like Target and Walmart have it for a couple of dollars.  If it's multisize you can see the trends of the different sizes and adjust following the same guidelines.
     When I resize soomething I make a dress out of it with material I'm not completely in love with, so if I botch it, I botch it.  Then I use the good stuff.  Just take her measurements and make sure you still leave a couple of extra inches for seams and ease.  You can totally do it, and then with a sleeveless dress pattern that you know fits, you'll be able to use it for anything.  Add sleeves, differnt necklines, etc. from you original, just don't ever cut the original that you altered.  Here is a link for you, too.

http://sewing.about.com/sitesearch.htm?terms=pattern%20altering&SUName=sewing&TopNode=3797&type=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rescuewife
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007 08:04:28 PM »

I actually never thought of taking her measurements, I just went with the size clothes I buy at Target!

I am such a by-the-book person I never thought of adding sleeves or adjusting the neckline...I'm excited that I can have so much variety now!

Do you use white tissue because you can see through it and trace over the pattern?

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007 06:24:46 AM »

Yes, that is exactly why I use it.  After you get it all done and you've made something and you know that's it, then you can make one out of postal paper too.  (Lasts longer)  I would keep the postal paper one as your original that you don't cut.

Just remember about the mesurements:  If her waist is 20" then add your ease (usually just a couple of inches) divide that by four = 5 (this is because patterns are in fourths) add your seam allowance. 

You can also use the same pattern to make shirts, jackets, you name it.  Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007 06:27:02 AM by rozekitten » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to store cooking oil for later use
Basic Preparation and Stir-fry Methods for Cooking
Stip fibers from peapods for Chinese food ingredie
Important ingredients for Chinese cooking
Learn about basic Chinese cooking equipment
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...