A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gripe about the new book  (Read 3349 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clayfaery
« on: November 16, 2004 12:48:40 PM »

I'm fairly annoyed at the new book. The section on how to change  patterns has no info on enlarging patterns. It tells you how to lengthen ,shorten,  add shapping and use a different yarn..  Well poo I feel like I wasted the money on it. Seeing as most of the patterns stop at 48. and I have a 50 inch bust  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004 02:44:37 PM »

Hey, chin up! I'm sure that a 50 inch bust is a problem that lots of us would LOVE to have.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clayfaery
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004 03:04:52 PM »

... but i would love to find a cute sweater pattern in my size. Belive me a 50 inch bust is no fun...they don't make cute bras  or knitting patterns in that size  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004 03:57:49 PM »

Amen! What the world needs now is a nursing bra that doesn't look like crap. If you feel like doing an internet search, what you want to look for is (I believe) short row shaping. there may be an article somewhere, or maybe a kind knowledgeable soul will take pity on us and post a tute??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004 06:57:10 PM »

Amen! What the world needs now is a nursing bra that doesn't look like crap. If you feel like doing an internet search, what you want to look for is (I believe) short row shaping. there may be an article somewhere, or maybe a kind knowledgeable soul will take pity on us and post a tute??

Knitty has a really good article about short row shaping and there is a great article in the lastest Interweave Knits about it. I hear what you are saying, clayfaery, as my size isn't always represented in most pattern books. While I liked the latest book for its tips, techniques, and some of the patterns, I have to say that I was a little disappointed in the "fitted" sweaters.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004 08:07:57 PM »

Have you guys ever checked out White Lies Design? They have the greatest form fitting and flattering sweaters. Even if you don't have a robust bust (like me, I have no bust Sad ) but have curves in other areas these sweaters look so sweet on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodkarma
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004 08:43:47 PM »

Hey ladies,

I feel your pain, I really do. I am a busty gal myself, and used to be so much heavier all around, so I know all about trying to find the right shape/size. BUT, couldn't you follow the same directions Debbie S gives in SNBN to enlarge rather than decrease the bust?

Pay attention to how each size is different from the other. I'm going to make up an imaginary example... if small 34", medium is 38" and large is 42", each size is about 4" larger than the one before it. So just go through the directions and change them to make an XL (46") or an XXL (50"), or whatever you need.

The directions in the first chapter of SNBN explain the "magic formula" and how to find stitch ratios and row ratios. Seems like it would take a little bit of math, but you could change a pattern to fit yourself if you took your time and worked it out. And just like for anyone who tries to modify a pattern, no matter what their size, it might not be perfect the first time, and might take a little fiddling with as far as when/where to do decreases/increases, etc., but once you had it all tinkered out, it would be awesome and it would be YOURS.

Also, I think the magknits Donna pattern (http://www.magknits.com/chilly04/patterns/donna.htm) has been mentioned here somewhere. It would be a good starting point for redesigning any pattern your heart desires.

Just my 2 cents,
Knit on,

Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004 10:10:09 PM »

If anyone doesn't want their SnB Nation, and they feel like swapping for something else, i have a bunch of books that I don't want and i'm willing to trade for it! I really want that book but I can't buy it right now.

leave a comment on my blog if you want to trade: www.knitpowerstopeace.blogspot.com or PM me and i'll let you know what I have to trade you!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004 11:51:48 PM »

Seeing as most of the patterns stop at 48. and I have a 50 inch bust  Cry

I TOTALLY feel your pain. I'm a fairly new knitter, and nothing is ever in my size either. I've devised a couple of pretty successful ways to modify patterns or create altogether new ones inspired by the ones in the books.

My favorite thing is to take an article of clothing I already have that fits well, that way I know for sure it will look good on me, lay it out flat on the bed and measure the width in 1 inch increments going all the way down. You can do some math to figure out "Well, if the gauge is 4 stitches per inch, and I need a 50 inch bust, then I should have 200 stitches total on the bustline, so 100 per side." You can use the general shaping from the pattern and replace it with your numbers taken from your clothing item.

You can also get a scrap shirt, some 50 cent thrift store throw-away that you don't mind wasting, and rip all the seams out. When you see the peices laid out separately, its actually easy to invent your own pattern by measuring that and looking at the shapes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004 08:06:24 PM »

I found that the patterns were really easy to alter whether you had to increase OR decrease...just do the math!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Braid Like Anne Hathaway
How to Do a French Braid Dutch-Style Aka Inside Out or Reverse Braid
How to Do a Fishtail Updo
How to Do a French Braided Headband- Part 2
How to Do a French Braided Headband -Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...