A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pond and Veggie Garden shots....  (Read 9915 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2007 07:27:31 AM »

This year I really went overboard on gardening.  Here in Alabama it is full swing in the gardening season. If you haven't planted yet (like a month ago) there isn't any reason to now - it is getting too hot and dry already!

I didn't take a picture of it but I will - I removed the sod 5' - 6' from the fence completely around the yard - and moved 2 truckloads of woodchips to mulch it all - and put in edging... It took a few weeks but  all is good.  I will be planting more shrubs in the fall - and some perennials after I get them going in my portable 4 shelf greenhouse thingy I got from traveling tool sale..  I am soooo glad I bought that!  My seeds started and grew just amazingingly!  I am going to order more seeds now and start some in the next month or so for fall planting..

Anyhoooo.... Here is my pond.  My clematis already did its thing sadly but the liatris (I know I am spelling that wrong!) is just starting.  I have been having lillies blooming regularly now - of course not today when the camera was out!

Please ignore the bags of rock.... I need to put some more out after I weed tomorrow morning!

Here is my veggie garden.  I have tomatoes, squash and beans all growing. There are two different kinds of eggplant (both flowering but not producing quite yet) canteloupe, cukes, butternut, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans and what will hopefully become a truckload of tomatoes..
My radishes were eaten by something.  I will be replanting them this week... maybe tomorrow.

How can one fit all those yummy goodies in a small backyard garden?  Vertically!  I love to grow vertically.  It is better for the veggies and it is such a huuuuge space saver.
I bought these handy dandy cheap*arse yard trellises - for $5 a pop at a discount store but I needed to add some growing support - so I used yellow nylon twine (which was a better choice than the hot pink I had - not to mention I had a ton of the yellow) and spider webbed it.  I figured soon enough the beans(yellow and green) and the butternut would take over them.. the cukes and canteloupe share a garden trellis on the other end of the garden.

I am not a big fan of tomato cages. I like to stake them instead.. so I got these great handy dandy plastic covered steel stakes from Wallyworld and used nylon kneehighs to tie them to their stakes.. This tomato plant is the one my oldest picked out - it's a yellow one.  I am embarassed to say I think I have like 18 tomato plants in this garden.  Long story.... Some I grew some I bought.

I put patio blocks for a walkway and intended to grow my radishes and carrots inbetween but haven't done so yet.  In between two is my itty bitty compost pile.  I need to work that in the ground this weekend...

Since we are a drought area - around all the plants is a good layer of newspaper and also grass clippings on top - it helps to keep the ground moist and bonus weed prevention!

So far so good!  Now if only I could get a ladybug colony established!  I have two ladybug houses but none are brave enough to move in just yet..

So far so good on the gardening season.  I will post up more pics as things start to really kick in!  I have a lot of gardening planned this year!
Okay.  I have to do some weeding!.. and move that yard cart from the end of the garden... In any defense - I was just on vacation for a week - but it still needs to be done.

Maybe in a few weeks I can upload much more colorful shots of my garden.  I am also going to work on some yard art to hang too - but that is another day.  Right now I will just be happy that my garden is even impressing my husband!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007 07:33:44 AM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
susankg53
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007 12:42:13 PM »

I'm impressed. I should take picture of my lilies, they have been blooming so nicely this year, but I need to weed around the pond before I take pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
discodudette
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007 02:05:47 PM »

looks like a backyard haven!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007 02:16:22 PM »

I am so embarrassed by my weeds in my garden. 
I planted - and sprouted - lotus last year in the pond but my koi decided they looked a bit tasty so they didn't make it.  Destructive little buggers... okay, not so little.  The pond I put in last spring... I dug most of it by myself.  My husband dug for about an hour then gave up so I went outside and dug for about 8 hours - solid clay - it was so worth it!  I love my pond. 

Maybe next year the rest of the yard will start looking a bit better - once I get more plants in it.  Right now it just looks like chipped up trees.  If you look carefully past my garden in the patio tile shot you can pretty much get the gist of it - big open chipped tree wasteland.  I do have some shrubs here or there - and beyond the garden is the blueberry bushes - although I think this fall I am going to move them so I can increase my garden space... I can't help it - with a little taste of success I want it all now!
Must.... make.... more..... room.....
too bad carving pumpkins don't grow so well vertically....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
susankg53
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007 03:14:06 PM »

I cheated on my pond. First we decided on the shape and I started digging and we had Bermuda grass to dig through and then clay, then the sun shone down on my poor old head and back and the sweat started trickling down, and I went in the house to cool off. That evening my husband said he had a friend with a back hoe and he was coming down on the weekend to dig the pond. In one hour or so, my pond was dug and it is 10 feet x 14 feet and it is 4 feet deep. All I had to do was smooth it out some and dig the steps down and a few shelves on the sides. We only have 1 Koi and a whole bunch of goldfish and some frogs and occasionally a snake, can't forget the snails. I have truly enjoyed this part of our yard more than any other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skullbie
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007 08:12:32 PM »

That is so gorgeous!!!
I would love to have something like that, sadly bugs flock where i live.
so beautiful though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007 09:43:35 PM »

too bad carving pumpkins don't grow so well vertically....

I saw some pumpkins growing on a loggia type trellis last year at the Denver Botanical Gardens.   Your garden is wonderful-here in Colorado we're really just getting into the planting/transplanting season, except for the salad garden, which is kicking "A" this year!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
susankg53
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007 02:16:37 PM »

here's a picture of one of my water lilies, there has been more this year than last, I have white ones too but none were blooming at the moment
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007 04:14:38 PM »

That's a gorgeous photo!

I wish I had a pond full of water lilies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007 04:22:23 PM »

craftydeb, your garden is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!  I'm amazed at what you've done with the space you have.  Do you preserve vegetables?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Inexpensive Flower Arrangements
Basic Cable Knitting
Positioning Tips For Your HUSQVARNA VIKING
How to Create Unique Fabrics
How to Do Photo Artistry On Quilts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...