A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pond and Veggie Garden shots....  (Read 11602 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewgreen

2 B Carbon Free- live Neutrally- Plant a Tree

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007 02:22:19 PM »

Now thats what I'm talking about! Getting green! Fabulous job on the pond!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007 08:27:58 PM »

My fish haven't had babies this year or the bull frogs have eaten them. It is one way to keep the population down. Your pond looks absolutely gorgeous. We have black colored dragonflies and blue damselflies. Hope you get your babies caught and find homes for the little guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007 04:09:53 AM »

I keep trying but they see the net and swim away.  I do have frogs in there - one is considerable size - I have seen I think 4 different types of frogs in that pond but no... still the babies grow... and grow.... and grow....

I divided a lily yesterday - actually it was 3 different ones that were in a pot and were root bound so I divided and got 5 huge clumps... I wonder what the rest of the lilies are doing right about now but I will say I have never seen such huuuuge leaves on a backyard pond!  They are just gorgeous - and starting to take over the pond!  Every day I have at least 4 blooms.  It is really great.

I love my pond!  Now if only the black widows would stop taking up home in the rocks around it then I will be happy.  Scares me to weed around the pond cause of the widows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
susankg53
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007 04:30:53 PM »

I wouldn't want to weed with them around either, the other evening as we sat by the pond I showed my sister in law the biggest of the bull frogs and she thought he was a statue till I stood up and he jumped in the water. I should divide my lilies because they are starting to slow down, I'm sure they are root bound. I finally saw a little tiny fish yesterday, so maybe they are just first hatching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007 04:33:21 PM »

that one tiny fish is the beginning of the end I tell you - I STILL can't catch the little buggers. All they do is eat... swim... poop... eat some more.... I don't think they ever rest...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
susankg53
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007 04:40:53 PM »

when the weather gets cold, they slow down and then maybe you can catch them, but what will you do with them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007 04:53:19 PM »

I am actually wanting to catch them to give away - I can freecycle them out... if I can catch them. If I wait until the water cools and they go into hibernation then it will be too cold to transfer them to another pond - catch 22...

I do have to get them out though.  I have a 1000 gallon pond and it can't accommodate the population.  I am thinking of figuring out how to catch the large fish as well - they are beautiful koi but not nearly as sociable as the babies... so I think the big guys will be the first ones to go... if I can catch them too... There are just too many hiding places and they are too smart for their own good.. and I am too slow with a net  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
susankg53
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007 04:55:45 PM »

I see, is there a chance someone could help you drag a net from one side to the other? How wide is your pond?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007 05:03:43 PM »

A net might work - I just have a lot of obstacles - between the lilies and the chimney pipes.. My lilies cover more than half of the pond -and  spreading still.  I did just divide some of the lilies = I need to get more pots though. I  have 3 sections in a spackling bucket with water in it.... Not the best of lily pad homes but at least they are safe for now  Cheesy

I am thinking I am going to have to climb on in there and catch them that way... this way I can corner them somehow.  The pond itself is a good sized one - about 3' deep and 5'wide and about 10-12' long.  It will be interesting.... I will have my husband take pics if I get the nerve up to do it.  I used to have to climb in our old pond all the time - at least this one I can almost see the bottom - with our hot weather we have had a algae surge... but it's all good.  I can see mostly to the bottom and that's okay with me.  I climbed in there last year and stepped on a fish - okay, he obviously wasn't doing so good - we called him Flipper.  His rear fins were bent at a 90degree angle.  I felt sorry for him... he wasn't a good swimmer - but the pond is much clearer now - and Flipper has not surfaced this year at all sadly. He was still swimming around in the spring but I haven't seen him in ages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
susankg53
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007 05:09:14 PM »

My pond is 4 foot deep, 10 foot wide and 14 foot long and that figures up to about 4000 gallons. I bet you have more water than you think. I won't climb into mine, the algae is too bad and I can't see into the water very far and I have found a snake or two lurking about, and I've seen some really strange bugs in there so I'll just stay out of there. If I can't catch the little guys, they will have to wait for me to be able to catch them some other way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Overview of Strategy in Backgammon
Bearing Off in Backgammon
Movement of the Checkers in Backgammon, Part 3
Movement of the Checkers in Backgammon, Part 2
Movement of the Checkers in Backgammon, Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie
Magical Miniatures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...