A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: People trying to copy your craftistic/artistic ability?  (Read 2930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007 01:26:35 PM »

1. Copying isn't very fair, but it happens. It can be flattering. Maybe the girl is trying to find herself and she doesn't know how to go about it.

2. If you don't want your stuff copied, don't post it on Craftster. This website is all about figuring out how things are done and doing it yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
ArmyOfMe

It should be raining

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007 09:15:37 AM »

I can see boths sides here. Copy cats, quite bluntly, piss me off. But that is when they are obviously taking your idea/product and replicateing it, then giving everyone the idea that it was their original creation.

But on the other hand, I've seen people, that make money off what they create, warn others not to copy "cause its lame" or whatever. But their designs arent original. They have a unicorn sewn on a shirt and then threaten you about taking their designs. Uh, unicorns are quite popular, I dont believe you created them.

But as far as craftster goes, you are showing your stuff at your own risk. This place is to share creations and ideas and feed off eachother. And I think it works wonderfully! I'm am inspired by all of you daily. And very grateful for it  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007 06:19:05 PM »

Today, my not-so-close friend copied the frame I was decorating. And she said, "Oh look! I'm copying you!" Huh

And I don't mind sharing my posts at Craftster because I rarely do it and I'm sure there are more inspiring posts than mine. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
crumpet79

Never quite sure what I'm going to make next...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007 06:41:39 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear she said that.  I would have smacked her upside the head...not that violence solves anything but sometimes it's nice to imagine.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007 06:55:55 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear she said that.  I would have smacked her upside the head...not that violence solves anything but sometimes it's nice to imagine.

Yes, and my "friends" always accuse me of outshining them. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007 12:09:11 AM »

I have a friend at work who is super fab at making wall graphics in photoshop. Her work is up in many buildings...anywho, I was asked to design a wall graphic too. I was really excited but nervous; she's really good and I wasn't sure I was as good as she. I finished it and the client loves it. As it turns out, she thinks that the things I do are better than what she does Smiley

It doesn't matter in the end who is better but to be happy doing what you are doing. If someone is just trying to copy to be a butt face, the love won't show through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
dastardliestboo
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007 12:36:31 AM »

I had some work published in a magazine, and a couple of months later a very similar item was for sale by an established company. The strange thing was that with the launch of this new product, the "designer" posted a long story about how she came up with the idea. I found it strange that she had never done that with her previous product launches, or to my knowledge since.

I was REALLY mad - for about 2 days.  Then I just thought, "Whatevah!" The published magazine is proof that the original design was mine. 

It just peed me off that someone not only stole my design, but was making money off it. I didn't know whether to be more offended or glad when the product didn't sell so well....lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlehands
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2007 07:09:47 AM »

it's actually imitation, and not copying, that is the highest form of flattery, and yes there is a big difference between the two, so of course you have every right to be annoyed. but you have to remember that in the art/crafting worlds, especially, it's so easy to become "inspired" by things you see and other people's works. especially when you're working close with other people. it's just natural that your ideas bounce off each other.... and while it definitely can be annoying at times, i think it's okay. to be honest, i don't think ANYTHING is really original anymore. anything you do, it's 99.8% certain that someone before you has gone and done the same thing. i think what is important is taking something and making it your own -- that's why IMITATION is a form of flattery, because you're taking something and molding it to make it more personal and relevant to yourself.

as for the girl you're talking about, she probably doesn't fit into the type i just talked about heh. i don't know if there's much you can do about it, really, but i suppose you just get the satisfaction of knowing that she will never grow as an artist, which is a complete shame. until she finds her own artistic voice, i don't think her artwork will ever mean anything to her, beyond a pretty picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mixymo

Craftsters + HP Fandom = Best people in the world!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007 07:42:54 AM »

to be honest, i don't think ANYTHING is really original anymore. anything you do, it's 99.8% certain that someone before you has gone and done the same thing. i think what is important is taking something and making it your own -- that's why IMITATION is a form of flattery, because you're taking something and molding it to make it more personal and relevant to yourself.

i totally agree, littlehands. to be honest, many times i've thought of a brilliant idea, then googled it, and found the exact same thing, already being made & sold.

i'm in a textile design course, and i hardly show anyone what i'm doing. i avoid questions like a weasel! to the point of going into other rooms to work. the sad fact is, some people just can't be trusted and that pisses me off to no end. the other day, a classmate came in and said, "hey, i kind of copied the way you do your drawings! hahaha!" yeah..funny.. Angry ugh! *mental slap*
i've actually refrained from posting some of my stuff on craftster for fear of copycats. it's sad that it's come to that.

i guess you just have to be content knowing that YOU are the one who came up with the ideas yourself.

and WIPs, as for those friends accusing you of outshining them, well clearly they are insanely jealous and know they can't do anything about it. so they try to make themselves feel better by putting blame on you. friends do this to me as well, and i absolutely HATE it. but in a way, they mean it as a compliment. an insensitive, somewhat ironic compliment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

The Sketchbook Project 2012: Across the World
likespointysticks
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007 04:35:35 PM »

Perhaps I'm just an evil person, but . . .

WIPs, you said she copies even the sketches you make, right?

Were I in your position, I'd sketch a few ridiculously hideous or bad things and see if she copies those. Or talk loudly about your plans to put two colors together in an outfit that are totally wrong. Or use a really difficult technique to put your work together that someone without skill wouldn't be able to duplicate without looking like an idiot. You are the source of her copying . . . use that fact to your advantage and see if you can get her to make a fool of herself. That'll teach her to copy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my dictionary.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Light Painting and Starlight Photography
The Retouching
Processing the Raw File
Post Production of a Landscape Photograph
Post Production of a Low Light Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...