A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
329 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bright Pink Skully Over the Top Bag  (Read 1556 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

michellesangel
« on: December 27, 2008 05:18:39 PM »

Surprisingly the BHG Quilts and More magazine can be found in the newsagents in my tiny town in Western Australia, and although I don't quilt, I've bought every issue of this they've had to date (albeit 2! haha). I must admit they hook me with their cover images and when I saw this bag I just had to buy the magazine.

They call it "over the top" and it was in Winter 2008 Quilts and More magazine by Better Homes and Gardens. For details on the mag try this link http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/magazines/quiltsandmore/index.html

The printed fabric I used was a quilting cotton on sale at Spotlight and I just wasn't sure it was appropriate for an 8yr old girl but I love the colours and patterns! The faces on the fabric reminds me of Redheads matches Cheesy The black and bright pink are just a plain cotton drill, or something to that effect. I found this rather challenging to sew, but I am a novice. It was my first time using magnetic snaps and they're so easy, the hard part is top stitching once they're in!!! I think the iron on interfacing I used was too heavy and it didn't like being turned right way out, and then looked all crumpled. I couldn't get my iron inside to the base so sadly it stayed that way.

The bag

Side View, it has a bit of depth

The snap

As a gift bundle for a little girl for christmas. Inc - a personalised covered note book, headband, key fob, snap clips

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008 06:22:24 PM by michellesangel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemadrid
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008 05:49:40 PM »

i really like the fabric it's super cool do you know who made it? that purse is awesome and i like the notebook and all the little nik naks in the package super cute stuff! good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellesangel
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008 06:04:12 PM »

The selvage reads:

west 22nd  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED PATT#CX3421 PRETTY IN PINK

hope that helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty_chick66
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008 06:46:17 PM »

They are really great ...I bought that fabric from Spotlight ages ago and haven't wanted to use it ...I really should do something fab with it ..thanks for the inspiration  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*..cheers wendy...*~
michellesangel
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008 07:25:36 PM »

They are really great ...I bought that fabric from Spotlight ages ago and haven't wanted to use it ...I really should do something fab with it ..thanks for the inspiration  Smiley
I got this on sale $8/m which for me is a bit high. Well it was! I went to another Spotlight in Perth to see if I could get some more and it was $18.95/m when not on sale! SHEESH!!! I wasn't sure I wanted to use it either!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008 07:27:47 PM by michellesangel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

khuss_06
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009 01:04:14 PM »

Oh man I absolutely LOVE the pattern on the fabric, and all your little side creations are so cute! You definately have some creative talent and use it wisely. I just might have to give this kind of project a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theskyturtle
Turtle In The Sky With Diamonds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009 01:14:37 PM »

Wow, those are some cool handles you have there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blog about sewing, designing and making your own clothes and accessories: http://skyturtle.net
Solsisters
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009 09:45:33 PM »

I looked at that bag and thought the handle might be a little awkward to actually carry. Now you made it,  what do you think?

I use a Pellon 808 craftfuse for bags of this weight. It's a midweight fusible with some stiffness. Not sure if you have Pellon in AU....

On magnetic snaps... place them at least 1" to 1.5" from the top edge of the bag to make top stitching easier. I've foun dthat if you fuse several layers of regular interfacing or a bit of very stiff interfacing (like Peltex) with a larger piece of fusible over it THEN put the mag snaps through that IN addition to the metal plate they provide, you tend to get a smoother look and the snaps do not rip the lining.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleLipstickGirl
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009 07:49:39 PM »

I am in love with this, and I want that fabric lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schonwiedersamstag

"like a child dizzy on lemonade"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009 02:05:59 PM »

I really like the fabric and the bag looks great.
The little girl must have been really happy when she got her Christmas gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"O nein, schon wieder Samstag und eine lauwarme Sommernacht"
"Und die Mdchen glauben daran, dass im Rabauken verschollen
Ein Prinz nach Freiheit schreit den sie haben wollen "
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Dr. Mark Hyman
Howard J. Morris and Jenny Lee Talk About Women Are Crazy, Men Are Stupid
David Grann Reveals His Favorite Person in History
Karen Hunter Talks About Stop Being Niggardly
Recipes from The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...