A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Candied Citrus Peel - Recipe/tutorial included  (Read 4051 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 31, 2007 05:42:13 PM »

Last year I bought a bunch of oranges from a traveling salesman (don't ask) and had a WHOLE BUNCH of orange peel, and I'd always sort of wanted to try making candied orange peel, but had never had enough peel all in one place.  I had a party coming up and knew I could get rid of all the fruit if I peeled it all at once, so I decided to give it a shot.  To my astonishment (not being a cooking sort, myself) it turned out well.  So, I did it again this year, trying out lime and lemon as well.

[/center

From the top clockwise, we have lime, orange and lemon.  I have it on good authority that this candy is tasty, but it seems most people favor the lime.  

How it's done:

For the lemons and limes, I bought 3 lb bags of each, sliced them in half crosswise and juiced them.  (I froze the juice in ice cube trays for yummy summer drinks.)  Then I removed the remaining membrane.  For the oranges, of which I had 6 medium fruits, I carefully sliced through the skin only into sixths from stem end to navel and around the middle crosswise, then carefully peeled the fruit and set the peels aside for my evil plans.  (I ate the fruit.  You can too.  Or, whatever.)

You'll want to cook each variety separately if you want them to all taste distinctly of their own flavor.  You CAN candy them together if you don't care that the flavors mingle a bit.  Dump the peels in a big pot and cover with cold water.  Bring this to a boil, immediately remove from heat. drain, cover again in cold water, repeat... You can blanch more or less times depending on how you want your candy to taste, but three times seems about right to me.  Fewer leaves more oil in the peel and therefore your candy will be a little more bitter.  More than three seems to remove the flavor too much.

Once the fruit has been blanched, slice it into strips.  My strips end up being from one to two inches long and about a quarter inch wide, but this is not an exact science.  Set them aside and start your syrup.  For three pounds of fruit, I used 4 cups of water and 4 cups of sugar, which I mixed in until it saturated the water.  I think this was actually overkill, as I was left with a LOT of syrup, but that's OK too, because then you have nice lime, lemon or orange syrup for teas and other uses.  The ratio of sugar to water should be about 1:1 in any case, and that can be adjusted to how much ever you need to cover your peel, if you use less than 3 pounds.  I think I used two cups of water and two cups of sugar for the oranges, and even that was a tad much.  

Once your sugar has mostly dissolved into the water, turn up the heat and bring to a simmer for a little under 10 minutes or until it reaches soft thread stage, around 230 degree or so (if you're lucky enough to have a candy thermometer).  Carefully add your fruit peel and cook on a simmer until the peel starts to turn translucent.  You can stir the sugar water a little while it's eating, but once it comes to a simmer try not to move it too much or you'll introduce crystalization.  I actually don't think this detracts from the resulting candy all that much, but it's best to avoid it for optimum results.

Once your peel starts to become translucent, (a LONG time... 45 minutes to an hour or more depending on how much you are making) remove the pot from the heat and start pulling out the candy pieces.  Roll them in sugar and set them aside to cool.  You'll have to work fast if you did a big batch.  You can even, if you prefer, strain the whole pot in one go and shake the pieces in a large container of sugar, but I find I get best results doing it a little at a time.  If the mixture in the pot is cooling too fast, you can keep it on low heat; just enough to keep the syrup from hardening while you work.  

Once the rolled candy is cooled off (or before that if you blow on it good and you just can't wait) pack it in an air tight container.  The stuff will last a good long while if kept in a sealed container in a cool, dry place.

I know there are a LOT of recipes and/or methods out there, but this one has worked quite well for me. It's easy, but time consuming.  I think however you decide to do it, though, it's great stuff and worth a shot.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011 02:54:06 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007 05:44:51 PM »

I love these peels. I may have to try this, but may get lazy and just buy them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007 05:58:31 PM »

Mmmm...lime...I might have to buy a few limes and give this a go. I don't usually have good luck when it comes to making candy of any kind, but this sounds too good to resist. And, the added bonus of lime juice in the freezer and lime flavored syrup just seems too tasty to pass up...

This summer, when I have time...definitely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007 06:03:14 PM »

mmmm i hear those are tasty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
OhSoRetroDarling

rummaging for answers in the pages

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007 06:46:12 PM »

I've heard that these are expensive in the stores. They've been on my "Find Out How to Make and Try it" list for a long time. Thanks much the instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creative thinking may mean simply the realization that theres no particular virtue in doing things the way they always have been done.
Avian Flight
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007 09:33:24 PM »

very impressive! they look tasty. that's a lot of sugar!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007 10:01:47 PM »

very impressive! they look tasty. that's a lot of sugar!  Shocked

Yes, it is. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007 03:57:39 AM »

Does boiling remove all the heavy toxins, or are you able to get none-sprayed ones? (some parts of the years you can almost smell the poisons they've been drowned in, buying citrus in sweden.. where ever it is we import them from that particular time of year Roll Eyes )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
teraspawn
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007 04:56:55 AM »

Wow, I was just wondering earlier today how to do this. Bookmarked!

I love candied peel. Thank you so much for the recipe Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007 04:58:32 PM »

The worst we have to worry about in the US is the resin/wax they put on the outside of the fruit to make it look pretty in the store.  You gotta scrub the fruit good, but not hard enough to take off the zest.  Fresh is best, obviously.  All the fruit I used was grown in the US, so no imports for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Graham Cracker Gingerbread Cottages
How to Make a Holiday Photo Card Ornament
How to Make Christmas Gift Card Holder Ornaments
How to Make Lanterns Out of Jam Jars
How to Make a Cork Picture Frame
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...