A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Signatures on Front  (Read 1135 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 31, 2007 12:28:21 PM »

So, I've been noticing that some people sign the front of their cards, like you would sign a little painting.  This appeals to me for some reason, and I'd like to do it, especially since I've started working on larger pieces, like journal pages and canvases, in addition to ATCs.  I'd like to have a signature to use on all these different art works.

BUT, I've also noticed that these kinds of signatures are very stylized.  They don't really look like the signatures people use elsewhere, like on checks -- and furthermore, my handwriting is very school-girlish.  I don't mean childish, I just mean it's very close the letter forms we were all taught as kids -- it's not really stylized at all.

So -- I really feel silly asking this, it seems so personal and rudimentary -- is there a technique or method or process to developing a signature for artwork?  Is it really any different than the way one signs checks?

And most importantly, am I making too big a deal out of this? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007 12:32:16 PM »

Yes, you are making a big deal.  Get over it.  NAH, just kidding.

Yes, your art siggy should be different from your regular one,  IMHO.  Mine for my art is first name, last initial.  ATC artists that I have swapped with usually use initials only, and, like you said, sometimes make them stylized, like a symbol.  I think this is the best method.
I can give you a few examples...but they aren't on this forum.  Roll Eyes

To develop your own style, look at the combination of your initials, and how they can artfully 'interact' with each other.  Just do what we all did when we got engaged (or had a boyfriend, or a 'crush') and practice it!  Just doodle a whole page and see which one you like best.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 12:33:57 PM by OriginalYouth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

minouette
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007 12:40:22 PM »

I think you can put as much thought into this as you want; you neither need to worry about it nor on the other hand is it a silly question. I think handwriting says something about a person. There's nothing wrong with having handwriting that is legible (or "school-girlish")- maybe that's just your style and is thus an appropriate signature.  Smiley

On the other hand, I do have friends who are artists who have put thought into this and simply signed their name again and again until they developed a stylized signature. If you want a stylized signature that's where I would start; get scrap paper and sign like on a cheque again and again and maybe exaggerate anything patterns you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
JaneD
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007 01:23:49 PM »

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, my handwriting is very generic, but whenever I have time and artistic block (which is often) I practice writing and signing my name in different ways... trying to find something I like, I haven't stumbled upon anything quite yet but I'm getting there Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007 01:42:56 PM »

So, this didn't occur to me until just now, but I do have a stylized signature that I use at work on memos (I just had to initial one, which made a light bulb go off in my head).

My initials are K.A.T, and I sign memos KAT<rest of last name>.  I like my initials a lot.  Clearly, there's a start of something useful there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007 02:41:20 PM »

I'm a rather lazy old bird so I'd check out all the fonts you have on your computer and see if there is something there that you like. You can either practice it like stated above or let one of the Copy-type stores make you a stamp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007 02:54:07 PM »

Initials are always fun: I usually use my first & last: HK
Here are mine (HMK), my sister's (TNK) & my boyfriend's (CAT)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
Selise
Out Of Control ATC'er

So In Love - 1 Year Together 22 Feb

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007 03:34:12 PM »

I've done a lot of digital art, and when I sign a piece (usually I only do OOAK or editions of 5 prints) I do a stylized J and S together (My initials)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007 08:41:28 PM »

I used to have to initial things on legal documents and there I just started connecting the letters to each other pretty much just as a way to be different.  But once I started playing with art, I doodled the letters into a Chinese chop-like design.  I used that for several years before someone commented that he though the design looks like mountains and that I should add a moon to the scene.  Given that part of my name sounds like "moon" that really appealed to me so I went back to playing with it some more until I got a design I like.  The latest evolution has been to create a digital one that wasn't just lines so I could use it on digital things.

As others have said... play with your writing, initials, designs you could make your own.  Your signature should somehow reflect you and that pretty much means anythings possible.  Have fun!
Maimun
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
DrunkKitty
Mischief managed!

I am the girl anachronism!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007 06:05:58 PM »

Something to think about, if you're a single woman, is whether or not your last name is going to change. If you plan on keeping your maiden name, then naturally you have nothing to worry about, but she had been married twice, so her projects throughout the years had different signatures on them. She encouraged all the girls in the class, to think up a signature that they could use forever, like your first initial and your middle name, or a stylized way of writing your first name with the year you did the project on it.

It's something that's always stuck with, namely because I don't like my last name and have no ties to it (from my mom's 3rd husband...she's on #5 now  Roll Eyes ).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pork and Hominy Stew Part 2/3
How To Make a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
How to Make a Traditional Baked Easter Ham
How to Make Corn Dogs
How to Make Corn Chowder
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...