A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,801
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the typical anniversary gift problem  (Read 1724 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grrr betsy
« on: November 15, 2004 10:24:15 PM »

as my 2 year anniversary is rapidly approaching (november 25th, thanksgiving =/) i still have no clue what to get/make for my boyfriend.
i'm having a total blank out.
he's very into astronomy, mathematics, and ayn rand. i don't want to give him any more books (as in novels, not home made), cd's or movies, been there done that.
i want this to be special. things have been shaky lately, i want to show him i care and i want it to be something that is ... i don't know, sweet.
i would really appreciate any ideas.
i'd like to incorporate constellations and the moon or something. he's way more into those than the planets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004 10:54:09 PM »

These are more of ideas of sweet things to do for him, rather than things you can make.

Do you have a StarDome or Observatory nearby? Perhaps you could take him there after/before a nice dinner.

Depending on the weather, you could have a moonlight picnic on the beach, or on a hill under the stars, with the typical picnic stuff - the blanket, the basket, the home-made food.

If you're allowed, and the ceiling is bare, you can buy a packet of glow-in-the-dark stars and stick them on your/his ceiling in all the proper positions and constellations (make sure you give your neck a rest in between constellations though!!!). If you're going to do this and don't want to fork out all your money on buying heaps of packets - cut up the stuff left over (the outline bits) when you've used all the stars - you don't have to cut them into shapes, and it will be enough for the whole ceiling of a medium sized room (compared with only about a quarter if you just use the stars).
Alternatively, you make up your own constellation of the two of you  Wink

You could cut out a whole bunch of star shapes and suspend them from the ceiling with different length string. This would be really cool if you did this over a dinner table and you cooked him a really nice dinner.... dimly lit room, candlelight and perhaps some twinkling faery lights. Or again, depending on the whether, you could do this outside if you have something to sit under and hang the stars.

Hope that helps!!! I'll try and think of some things you could make him and get back to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
grrr betsy
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004 04:54:12 PM »

These are more of ideas of sweet things to do for him, rather than things you can make.

Do you have a StarDome or Observatory nearby? Perhaps you could take him there after/before a nice dinner.

Depending on the weather, you could have a moonlight picnic on the beach, or on a hill under the stars, with the typical picnic stuff - the blanket, the basket, the home-made food.

If you're allowed, and the ceiling is bare, you can buy a packet of glow-in-the-dark stars and stick them on your/his ceiling in all the proper positions and constellations (make sure you give your neck a rest in between constellations though!!!). If you're going to do this and don't want to fork out all your money on buying heaps of packets - cut up the stuff left over (the outline bits) when you've used all the stars - you don't have to cut them into shapes, and it will be enough for the whole ceiling of a medium sized room (compared with only about a quarter if you just use the stars).
Alternatively, you make up your own constellation of the two of you  Wink

You could cut out a whole bunch of star shapes and suspend them from the ceiling with different length string. This would be really cool if you did this over a dinner table and you cooked him a really nice dinner.... dimly lit room, candlelight and perhaps some twinkling faery lights. Or again, depending on the whether, you could do this outside if you have something to sit under and hang the stars.

Hope that helps!!! I'll try and think of some things you could make him and get back to you.

these are all wondeful ideas that i'll keep in mind ofr some other time! UNFORTUNATELY we're celebrating at his house and he's in charge. and he lives 20 miles away (neither of us are 18 yet we both live with our parents) so i can't sneak over and do anything to his house while he's gone.
but you have a great mind i'm looking forward to your gift ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
grrr betsy
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004 04:55:31 PM »

Get someone to do a numerology chart for him. In addition to other gifts.

isn't that astrology? he doesn't like astrology, he likes astronomy Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004 04:56:34 PM »

My boyfriend and I just celebrated our 7 year anniversary last friday. I made him a bottle of "Love Pills" (search for Valentine's Pills on Craftster), and he absolutely loved them!  The awesome thing is that you can personalize the messages, include coupons, or put anything else you want in the capsules.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dansk
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004 05:49:51 PM »

You could make him a hanging model of the solar system and add a special planet for the two of you (heart shaped?). Name the planet something personal and make a little booklet to go along with it. The booklet can have pictures of the two of you and outline all of the interesting facts about your planet (your relationship), like how it was discovered two years ago (how you met), special things about life on the planet (memories of good times you have shared), etc.

If you do a search on google for solar system crafts you will find all kinds of directions for solar system models for kids. There are mobiles of the solar system you can make too.

I just reread your post and now I see you said he like constellations better than planets, sorry! You could do the same thing with a constellation, make up your own like creating a mobile of stars hanging down in the shape of a heart with the same kind of booklet to go with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrr betsy
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004 10:11:30 PM »

pleeease keep the ideas coming. i'm still clueless!!! I NEED YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL MINDS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004 12:12:29 AM »

This was interesting.  Scroll to the bottom and read the ideas of the International Astronomy Union for astronomically related giffs...
http://www.iau.org/IAU/FAQ/starnames.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
grrr betsy
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004 01:07:28 PM »

i think i've decided. maybe i'll incorporate constellations and galaxies into a card or something. but as a gift i think i'm going to buy a candle from ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/Goddesslissas-Lotions-and-Potions) that is scented with the oil they use to make the perfume i wear (celine dion). and then i'll make a big polar fleece blanket, and some of those love pill things, which are too cute to NOT do!
as well as try to buy this cd i played for him and he fell in love with (joanna newsom - milk-eyed mender)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004 02:13:03 PM »

Wow! Your boy sure is a lucky guy!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Nut Job
American Hustle Interviews
Zombies Help Kids Learn Movie Making
Sherry Lansing: The Role of a Studio Head
Sherry Lansing: Strong, Honest and Nice
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...