A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
339 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do guys crochet?  (Read 8262 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

endlessly_intricate
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007 01:36:01 PM »

Last semester, in my psychology class a guy who sat in front of me would crochet before class started.  He was actually the first male I'd ever physically seen crocheting. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yukonviolet
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007 07:44:18 PM »

More people crochet than knit apparently.  I personally don't think crochet is "at the bottom" but a myth perpetuated by those who don't crochet.  As hooker is an english term and probably quite modern I don't think there was a connection to prostitution but it sure made crochet seem more "sexy" to people in the last couple of years since the Happy Hooker has come out.  Many of the people who first crocheted didn't speak english and wouldn't know what a hooker was would they?  I think less men crochet because it was primarily done in thread which is awkward for a yarnie like me and I can't imagine what it is like for a guy with big hands.  I also find crochet more "artistic" and where you see a lot more men is in free form crochet.  Yes I know there is free form knitting..... but I think crochet is easier to manipulate don't you?

As mentioned above though crochet has a strong tradition in Latin America and Carol Ventura talks about it in her Tapestry Crochet books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007 01:53:34 AM »

My father was a golden gloves boxer, very macho guy - what was called a "greaser" back in the '60s - he beat up guys that looked sideways at my mom before they got married and she told him no more fighting or she would leave him...

he learned to crochet little doillies out of crochet thread from his grandma when he was a kid, and butterfly shaped ones even! He did it later in life to relieve stress, especially since he had to give up fighting and drinking or lose my mom!

he started me learning because he could crochet better than my mother and I wanted to learn because it was about the only thing we shared just the two of us - my fav was making little variegated butterflies to throw on the dresser

by the time I was 5 I could crochet fairly well, he was a good teacher

I miss him.

Ronda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
CraftyLittleDevil
Mostly harmless

the tooth fairy is a mountain devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007 04:43:03 AM »

One of the most amusing sights I have seen lately was during a break at uni one day, when one of my housemates was working on the blanket she is crocheting and ended up teaching one of our guy friends how to crochet. Picture a 19 year old skater looking very concerned because he couldn't work out what he'd done wrong, giving names to each of the 'dance steps' involved each stitch and getting very excited when he got to his favourite part of the stitch- the 'whack it back' step. He took about half an hour to finish a row for her, and it actually didn't look too bad. Then as the guy left for class my housemate discreetly pulled out the stitches he'd done so she could redo them neatly. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007 05:43:13 AM »

I work in a middle school and a couple of years ago, I ran a crochet activity. I did have a boy in the group, but he wasn't very successful. This year, I had a bunch of the kids in my 7th grade homeroom crocheting blankets for the Snuggles Project. There was one boy who already knew how to crochet (better than me, I think) and he had a cluster of his buddies crocheting with him, after he/I showed them how to get started. His friends didn't think he was a "sissy" either for being able to crochet. And in middle school, that's a huge deal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007 10:29:31 AM »

Yes, they do!   Grin

I just found a short article on some of the famous men of crochet.  Bill Elmore put out two short books (now out-of-print Sad)on the different techniques that he created for crochet.  If you can find them, they are definitely worth reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Infinite Annie
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007 02:32:26 PM »

I think men invented crochet.  A lot of the netting and rope work on early ships is very large scale crocheting with hemp and jute.  The sailors used their hands to crochet (I used to do thatwith string when I was a kid), and with the finer ropes they used hooked tools that they fashioned to pull the loops through.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!   Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chel02
Kakusei Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007 04:34:25 PM »

of course men crochet! lol. if a woman can why can't a man? my grandpa, and two uncles can crochet Smiley but then again growing up with 5 sisters my uncles would learn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Store!

www.kakusei-designs.co.nr

(opening sooon!)
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007 07:56:07 AM »

When I was in middle school there was a boy who was on the football team, as well as other teams I can't recall, who crocheted in class. He was big and beefy and no one dared say anything to him about it cuz if he wanted to he could beat the snot out of the little smart***es. Wink He made some cool stuff.

I know a young man (19yo) who not only crochets lovely gifts for elderly people (he works in a nursing home), but teaches others, mainly women, how to crochet. Seems to me like a great way to be in close proximity to females who appreciate your many talents. Cheesy

My 22yo son knits. He tried crochet, but didn't like the motions as much as knitting. He makes 'manly'-colored hats, scarves, socks, and slippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SilentMynerva
Crafty Goddess!

The Silent Roman Goddess of Wisdom!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007 04:25:08 PM »

I used to crochet at my college and I used to get guys come up to me and say... don't tell anyone but are you using a granny square... I would look at them and say ummm yeah.... kinda crazy... crocheting is a tradition in my family.... I'm pretty sure my great grandmother taught my uncles .... but only one person other than me in my family has gotten into it.... and my boyfriends mother tried to teach my boyfriend when he was little..... he didn't get into it but he did do it as a child.... he has clumsy fingers... haha....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style your Side Bangs or Fringe
Cheryl Cole Inspired Big Hair and Loose Curls
How to Get an Instant Beehive Style
How to Create Funky Front Hair Rolls
How to Create Brigitte Bardot Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...