A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
774 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do guys crochet?  (Read 7171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ax174
« on: May 31, 2007 06:26:18 AM »

Do men traditionally crochet?

I was wondering why there's a hierarchy of fibre arts: weaving, spinning, knitting, and crochet. 

Debbie Stoller writes that maybe crochet is at the bottom because there's a link to prostitution.  Teva Durham thinks it may have something to do with the equipment - weaving has bigger tools, therefore commands more respect.  Crochet is at the bottom because you use only one little hook.

I think it's because of men - specifically, men traditionally have done weaving, spinning, and even knitting, but not crochet.  At least, I don't believe large numbers of men in any culture have ever crocheted - am I wrong?  Does anyone know if that's true or not?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 06:27:36 AM by ax174 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwydion
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007 07:56:34 AM »

I know a few guys who crochet, but you're right, it does appear to have always been a female-dominated craft.

I think this may be because crochet is relatively modern (dating from the 1800s or perhaps late 1700s).  This was the beginning of the industrial revolution and male workers who formerly produced handicrafts were starting to become factory workers.  Spinning, weaving and knitting were beginning to be mass-produced by machines (raising supply but lowering the prestige associated with each craft).  Crochet is not amenable to machine production.  My guess is that this combination of factors ensured that crochet remained a decorative art, or, at best, a cottage industry, and was thus almost exclusively in the female domain. (And since it's associated with lace, cutesy-kitschy decor items, and baby layettes, not likely to attract many men).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pyogazel
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007 08:50:17 AM »

Men crochet in south America, in countries where this craft is deeply rooted.

2 cents
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jase
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007 01:39:50 PM »

At my church we crochet preemie hats and in our group we have 2 men, a college aged kid and an elderly man who learned to crochet as a child.

I was/am a knitter and prefer crochet. Not sure about the stigma due to prostitution, kinda far fetched imo. I think with the increasing popularity of crocheted animals, you'll see more and more men/teens getting involved with more popularity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iheartcapnhook
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007 05:53:31 AM »

When I was 11 I learned to crochet.  I taught my brother (who was 9) how to.  We crocheted together for quite a few years until it became "uncool" for him.  He recently took it up again (now 25) as something to do while watching the hockey game.  He also found that making afghans can really help him keep warm since he refuses to turn the heat on at his house during the cold months.  He now has a huge afghan and he's pretty dang proud of it.

He's the only guy I know who does any sort of yarn craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naff Productions
Make things so far out they're in!

You look marvelous

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007 07:18:13 AM »

Google The Crochet Dude and go look at his site.  Drew not only crochets and knits, but also designs and is published.  So, yeah, guys crochet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naff1 (nf)  adj. Chiefly British Slang.
Unstylish, clichd, or outmoded.

naff2 (nf)  intr.v. Chiefly British Slang. naffed, naffing, naffs
To fool around or go about: naffing about in a tutu (Suzanne Lowry).
Rheatheylia

...I think I could make one of those...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007 08:05:12 AM »

I always believed that the reason crochet is at the bottom of the hierarchy is because it can't be easily done by machine, weaving, spinning, and knitting all have machines and can be easily produced for the mass public, crochet can't, therefore has less exposure. Because you just can't go out and buy stuff made by crocheting people just think it's something that grandmas do. I work in a clothing store and very rarely we'll carry something crocheted, it's usually way more expensive than comparable knitted stuff, and doesn't sell very well because of it. As far as the question about men crocheting, the cool ones do, hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rheatheylia.com/index.php?page=patterns
Crochet Patterns, hats and amigurumi
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007 04:27:52 PM »

Google The Crochet Dude and go look at his site.  Drew not only crochets and knits, but also designs and is published.  So, yeah, guys crochet!

Awesome website! Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
kelibare
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007 06:11:54 AM »

My boyfriend picked up a hook and some yarn on Friday night...shhhhh...he doesn't want anyone to know.   Roll Eyes

It's going quite well, though.  I'm impressed with both his crocheting skill and my teaching abilities.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a lot of Lion Brand Homespun that I'd love to trade for something else!

http://www.wists.com/kgpwalters
http://www.myspace.com/kgpwalters
pawnshoppromises
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007 12:37:06 AM »

My dad crocheted when he was younger, and I just recently learned that my boyfriend's grandfather used to crochet, as well.

So, yes, men do crochet. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 Personal Swaps and can crochet pretty much anything! PM me!

My Etsy
My Ravelry
My Wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 4/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 3/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 6/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 28/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 5/28
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...