A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Metal Scale Earrings  (Read 1679 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hawkwolf

I love to Maille!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2007 01:36:58 AM »

Ello!

Just wanted to post this little accidental experiment.....LOL

These are stainless, they hang that way naturally, making a 'feather' like appearance. I think it's purty cool!

This one's anodized aluminum, I made a whole ear chain for 2 piercings. Do you think it's too much? I was thinking maybe just the scales down the back of the ear, and a bit of maille from the bottom of the lobe to the bottom of the curve of the scales? My wife likes it, but she's kinda biased...LOL

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Tadd (AKA Hawkwolf)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011 06:22:39 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Custom chain maille for sale!
"http://www.Hawkwolfs.com/"
 Hawkwolf's Armory and Accoutrements
starrygal
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007 01:45:41 AM »

I love the earrings, and would wear them lots if I had em.

The earchain is even better, it isn't too much at all, don't change it, it looks great!

Where could I buy scale like these?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 01:46:21 AM by starrygal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007 02:43:22 AM »

both are awesome, but I do think the earchain would be more balanced if it got smaller closer to the earlobe. I think you should try, but not change the original. They'd be cool in different ways, the "going smaller" (by maille or whatnot) would probably give a slimmer and slightly more stylish impression. Just don't ask me how, it's just a vision I suddenly got... Grin
Just my thoughts Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007 07:10:22 AM »

That's really cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Kristl
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007 12:43:13 PM »

I like them both but I agree with Melladh about making another ear chain were it gets smaller...but I won't mess with the original as it looks great... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--- Kristl ---
My Jewelry and Gift store. Updated daily with new things. (closed for remodeling will be reopened soon with lots more stuff)
Kristl's Gems:
http://www.Kristlsgems.com
pinterest:
http://pinterest.com/kristlm/
glass_trees
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007 01:22:50 PM »

cute i love the second one (i'm recently in love with the color purple! lol)

but i'd like to see if you could make one attatched to the cuff (much like the second one) but on a cuff only because i know some people don't have the upper part of their ear peirced...(i had for a while but after try number two i for-went the idea...) lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shay8317
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007 01:50:19 PM »

Very Cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
red_phooka
Geek

I <3 Zombies!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007 02:17:09 PM »

both are awesome, but I do think the earchain would be more balanced if it got smaller closer to the earlobe. I think you should try, but not change the original. They'd be cool in different ways, the "going smaller" (by maille or whatnot) would probably give a slimmer and slightly more stylish impression. Just don't ask me how, it's just a vision I suddenly got... Grin
Just my thoughts Smiley
I agree, and maybe even the singles could taper? Start out longer closer to the lobe and get smaller towards the end. . .then again, I could just love wings  Tongue
They look super cool though. I like the simplicity of them, yet they ceraintly catch my interest.  Cheesy
How were they an accidental experiment?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello color!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007 02:33:45 PM »

I love it! I too think it would look neat closer to the ear.

I second the question, where did you get the anodized aluminum "scales"? I'm recently in love with anodized - um - stuff, aluminum, niobium, whatever, - but I haven't found anything other than plain wire or jump rings. So if you have a good anodized "stuff" source, please post!

I haven't used most of my piercings in forever, but I think I'm gonna make something similar from clay and give one of my upper holes a workout! (I got 11 holes in my right ear  Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hawkwolf

I love to Maille!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007 11:31:12 PM »

Hi, all!

Thanks for the comments.... I wish I could get more sizes of these, but currently there are two sizes, and these are the small ones. They're actually meant for scale maille, like shirts etc. so there aren't a lot of call for them yet. Cheesy

Hello Summer, and Starrygal: I get my anodized stuff from The Ring Lord . They've got lots of cool stuff for the chain mailler!  Grin

Glass Trees: I'd like to try ear cuffs to use for that very reason, too, actually....any thoughts on where to find some? Thanks in advance!

Glad you guys like 'em!
Have fun!
Tadd (AKA Hawkwolf)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 11:32:32 PM by Hawkwolf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Custom chain maille for sale!
"http://www.Hawkwolfs.com/"
 Hawkwolf's Armory and Accoutrements
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Orchid
How to Fold an Origami Lily Flower
How to Fold an Origami Bunny Rabbit
How to Fold an Origami Butterfly
How to Fold an Origami Cherry Blossom
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...