A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Over Pins  (Read 2144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FerretNose

Shine on, you crazy diamond...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 15, 2004 09:13:20 PM »

Yea or Nay?
My mother has been sewing over pins (in hems and other straight stitch situations) for friggen' ever. My Granny sewed over her pins. As far as I know, Mom's machine has ever been damaged- in fact, only last month she finally got rid of the sewing machine she used to make my own baby clothes with- and I'm 31!

How is it that the needle seems to skip over the pins? Does it hit the pins ever? Does anyone else here sew over pins? I just got a machine and I'm torn. On the one hand, sewing over pins seems so convenient. On the other, it looks like a no-no.

So, I ask you, O wise ones- to do or not to do?

Thank You!
F.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wanna trade ATC's!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferretnose/
kate conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004 09:35:09 PM »

Most often the needles just misses the pins or if it doesn't hit them directly straight on the needle just deflects them to the side. But when the needle does directly hit a pin it breaks the needle. Violently. Plus the "deflecting" dulls your needle really fast.

I used to sew over my pins, but I've found it's easier and faster to just pull them out as you go along. It saves you the chore of pulling them out later! Also, a lot of seams don't really need to be pinned if the fabrics are easy and not slippery.  I find myself using a lot fewer pins with much better results, and of course this is faster.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004 09:40:27 PM by kate conspiracy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004 09:37:56 PM »

*raises hand*  I admit it, I sew over pins.  don't tell my mother, she'd kill me!

the needle doesn't always got over them, at least not for me.  I have bent quite a few pins, and I've broken a couple of needles, too.  I've never had anything more serious than a needle breaking happen, although sometimes they get lodged in there really well and it's hard to get out.  I think that's partly b/c my mom's machine is a 1960's wokr horse - nothing can kill it.  and breaking needles is always an opportunity to have one fly in your eye, as my middle school home ec teacher always reminded us.

so, you really shouldn't do it...  but I find that it's worth it for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004 09:23:41 AM »

I always pull mine out, because I like to have my pins parallel to the line I'm sewing, and even by pulling them out 99% of the time, I've still broken some needles that way.

I've heard if you DO want to sew over them, though, you've got to pin perpendicular to the line your sewing. Which makes sense if you think about the chances of the needle missing the pin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
jennybean
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004 10:17:08 AM »

this is definitely a habit worth breaking ... but i CAN'T! i always sew over pins (definitely at a right angle to the line i'm sewing!). but i have hit them and it scares me like heck every time! sometimes it bends the pin and sometimes it breaks my machine's needle, and i am very afraid that in the future sometime i'm going to get a shard lodged in the machine and have expensive repairs.
my mom says it's ok, and my aunt says never do it. so who knows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ophelias_demise

Madness in great ones must not unwatched go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004 10:37:59 AM »

My sewing teacher in high school taught us to sew over pins. I've only had a few pins bend and one needle break but other than that I've never had a problem with it. My mom  always sews over pins and she's been sewing for about 30 years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Give a hobbit a black eye! Attack, Space Monkeys, attack!
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004 11:18:59 AM »

When you sew over pins you risk a couple off things.  First of all, if you strike a pin, the pin will bend.  Sometimes it bends way down into your machine and gets stuck in there.  When you try to yank it out with your pliers (do you hear the voice of experience here?) you might throw off the "Timing" of your machine - especially if you have an advanced machine like mine.....ahem....and have to take it in for an expensive repair. 

Second of all, you can break the machine needle.  This is not the end of the world if you keep a large supply on hand you can just replace it - I buy my machine needles in boxes of 100 - so this isn't a problem - BUT be sure to get every little bit of the needle out of the mechanism - there is a top that is still screwed in - there is a point - that is probably down inside your bobbin case AND there may also be a piece of the shaft that may be somewhere in between causing havoc and if you continue to sew with little bits of needle in the mechanism - you risk damage to your machine and might have to take it in for an expensive repair....  not that I have ever done anything so foolish...

The third risk is to your eyes.  I have had pieces of machine needles strike me in the face - never in the eye - so far - but I wear my reading glasses for sewing - I'm not taking any chances!

So, your choice....choose wisely....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004 11:23:57 AM »

When I first learned to sew, my instructor told us it was okay to sew over pins. So my best friend and I (who took the class together) merrily went on our sewing-over-pins way. Until the day that a needle broke and *did* hit her in the face. Right below the eye. It wasn't "in the eye," like all of our moms (and home ec teachers)warned us, but close enough!

The following week, I read an article in Quilters' Newsletter by Alex Anderson (Host of Simply Quilts) who said that she had always sewed over pins in the past, but that she had recently had an experience that changed her mind. I can't find a link to the article online, but if Alex Anderson isn't sewing over pins, I'm not doing it either!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
angelwing75
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004 11:42:17 AM »

Same thing here....I used to sew over pins until I got a pin jammed in the machine, which broke the needle, which in turn flew up and hit me in the face.  Now I just pull the pins out as I go along, which really is easier than pulling them out later.  (And I'm sure it's much easier than having a piece of a broken needle removed from your eye!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004 12:44:40 PM »

I just take them out as I go along. It's easy, but I end up wit alot of random pins all over the place Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sweet and Spicy Pepper Jelly Recipe
Sourdough, Italian Sausage and Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
How to Make a Broccolini-Cheddar Gratin With Rye Breadcrumbs
How to Make Breakfast Salmon Scrambled Eggs
Salt Beef Bagels With Ultimate Pickles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...