A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: papier mache display head  (Read 1392 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

detritus
« on: May 30, 2007 06:04:14 PM »

I just set my etsy shop up last week...I'm planning on selling a lot of fiber stuff (knit/crochet/felted)--especially felted dread falls. I've looked at what is currently available on etsy and know I can do better. (As an aside, if any of you have a suggestion for what colors, lengths etc would sell best, I'd love to hear it.) I made my first pair a few days ago and couldn't find anything to model them on..I didn't want to put them in my own hair because-ew!--I wouldn't want to buy anything for the hair that had been previously worn. So I ended up taping them onto my boyfriend's TIE-fighter helmet. I was totally amused by the incongruous pairing, but the helmet is BIG. And it makes my falls look tiny.

So today I made a papier mache head to use for etsy photos. I used a big jelly tub and a blown up condom as the armature. I had a few spare condoms around the house and didn't want to buy balloons. My boyfriend was very confused when he saw the wrapper in the trash. Wink I'm pretty happy with it--but was wondering if you think it should be painted. I like it as is (once it dries of course) since it looks plain and should provide a more or less neutral background to display my wares. My boyfriend thinks I should paint it one solid color so potential buyers can see the colors of the falls on a solid background. I think painting it is just going to draw attention to the rough surface of the head--and away from the falls. Plus I would need to choose a realistic skin color (but which race?) or an unrealistic one (nobody can relate to purple skin).... What do you think?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sharre
life ain't always beautiful but its a beautiful ride

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007 06:33:17 PM »

I think you should paint it like your boyfriend said so as to not draw attention away from your product. So with that in mind, maybe it would be best to paint it in either black or white like the jewellery models you sometimes see. People still get the idea of how looks/falls/drapes/hangs etc but then again maybe metallic would be cool depending on the colours of the displayed items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog and I are getting reacquainted

Desperate desire for 4 skeins of Knitpicks Bare Merino Wool/Silk Fingering Weight and Knitscene Fall 2007. Willing to oblige? PM me to work out a deal
detritus
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007 08:22:49 PM »

Mmm. That's true. I suppose it's kind of busy right now. I'll just have to sand it before I paint. I have a feeling metallic won't photograph very well, unfortunately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007 08:27:17 PM »

How do you photograph metallic? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
sharre
life ain't always beautiful but its a beautiful ride

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007 08:31:44 PM »

I have a feeling metallic won't photograph very well, unfortunately.

true, way too shiny so it'll produce lighting issues  Wink but it'd make for a cool conversation piece
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog and I are getting reacquainted

Desperate desire for 4 skeins of Knitpicks Bare Merino Wool/Silk Fingering Weight and Knitscene Fall 2007. Willing to oblige? PM me to work out a deal
Spiderbite

Write your fears in here, my dear...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007 11:21:30 AM »

I would paint it black or white. If you leave it as is it will definitely detract from you product. I'll be too busy trying to read the newspaper! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check my etsy site for GLOW-in-the-Dark Nightmare Snatcher journals and miniature Worry-Woolie notebooks:
http://spiderbite.etsy.com

Likewise please check Weirdling Works the Etsy shop for my collaborative work with my father, in illustration and writing:
http://weirdlingworks.etsy.com
cherry blossom

nice head...i think i'll take it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007 02:57:58 PM »

i agree with painting it one solid color.  the way it is right now LOOKS really neat...but in the long run it will definately detract from your product.  that's why most of those hat modelling heads are just either black or white. 

what color background are you going to photograph them with?  you might want to paint the head the same color to keep things uniform and make it like a blank slate Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

detritus
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007 04:19:03 PM »

I use a white sheet as a backdrop. If I used a white head that would blend in nicely with the background, but I think the colors would look washed out since the camera/photoshop try to "average" the values so everything would look darker than it actually is. I'm leaning toward a plain black head so I would have  full range of color values so the product will photograph more true to life--plus a dark color will hide all the flaws in the surface of the head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patrick_Craftrick
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007 03:56:45 PM »

I don't think you would have much trouble with a metallic color.

Most display heads that I have seen are made from a high gloss plastic, very reflective.  Silver would be my choice if I were painting it.

Make sure that if you go with a white, pick an off white, like eggshell or something like that, white white makes things look funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ware the Sock-A-Zins!

http://potatocraft.etsy.com
detritus
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007 08:49:57 PM »

I ended up going with black. My concern with metallic is that it would highlight all the imperfections in the surface of the head. While that's not my product, I don't want to draw attention to my shortcomings! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Tips for Operating a Monster Puppet
How to Make Plant Markers Out of Spoons
Capri Style Table Decoration
How to Dress Your Table with Bread and Nuts
Center of the Table Decoration
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...