A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
888 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renewed with my embroidery machine (many pics)  (Read 2122 times)
Tags for this thread: patches , machine_embroidery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carole73
My family IS my life!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 30, 2007 03:16:01 PM »

It's been awhile since I used it.  And I remember I stopped because it can be very frustrating!!

But now I'm giving another go at it. So.. I pickup a few free design on the web and I'm trying some with my machine, just to try them.

I used pieces of scraps to make a sort of patch.
---here is the lot so far---

---a few details---

I don't know what to go with them, maybe I'll add them to a jeans purse or something. Or keep them for future swaps.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Families are like a box of chocolates... some have nuts in them Smiley
La famille c'est numro 1
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007 03:33:27 PM »

I wish I had an embroidery machine. Is it any easier than hand-embroidering? I love the fat cat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
TrentSketch
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007 03:40:48 PM »

I wish I had an embroidery machine. Is it any easier than hand-embroidering?
So long as you don't lose the hoop, much.  Depending on the machine though, and the pattern, it can be a pain to cut out all the little extra threads the machine may shoot out to help in centering or for one color to appear in multiple, unconnected areas of the design.

Still, they are fantastic, especially if you have some kind of system for custom patterns.  I have a secondhand Brother with a scanning system where you draw your design out in black permanent marker on plain white paper, physically scan the drawing with a hand scanner, and save it to a design card.  It's fantastic.

They can be very expensive if you use all of the embroidery machine threads and stabilizers and everything else, but you can get by with nice quality regular machine thread and sturdier fabric.  New machines can be rather expensive though.

Now if I could only find the hoop again, I would be posting some of these designs to Craftster...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carole73
My family IS my life!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007 04:22:50 PM »

I have a Brother PE-150, it's not the best, but hey we didn't have alot of money. I bought it with my sister, we wanted to start something together...after alot of frustration, because like TrentSketch said it can be a pain.  You always want a perfect little design.  But one of the reason I started again is because I've notice that even on store bought things the design is never perfect.

I wish I had an embroidery machine. Is it any easier than hand-embroidering? I love the fat cat.
For example, the fat cat: It's missing one line of thread.

But I don't mind, I think I can use them anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Families are like a box of chocolates... some have nuts in them Smiley
La famille c'est numro 1
susankg53
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007 05:15:09 PM »

I love the fat cat also. I bought a box at a garage sale and there is a card for a Janome Sewing Machine and I hoped it would work on my Brother but alas it doesn't. Now I'm looking for someone to give it a home. It's all cats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarpaper
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007 05:12:34 AM »

I love the fat cat also. I bought a box at a garage sale and there is a card for a Janome Sewing Machine and I hoped it would work on my Brother but alas it doesn't. Now I'm looking for someone to give it a home. It's all cats.

you may be able to transfer the designs to whatever format your machine takes using the computer, have you tried? i'd hate to see you give up a good set of designs if it was actually usable to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007 10:28:32 AM »

sugarpaper- the designs are on a memory card that inserts into a Janome so unless I buy this one little gadget that costs right around 300 dollars I can't use them. I think I'd rather give it away than spend that money. Know anyone that wants it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shay8317
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007 01:37:46 PM »

I wish i could do stuff like that! Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mickncrispy
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007 04:47:46 PM »

For example, the fat cat: It's missing one line of thread.

The fat cat "looks like" he's missing one line of thread but that is because the fabric you are embroidering on has shifted during the embroidery process.  If you stabilise your fabric more, either by first starching the hell out of it and using a light (cheaper) stabiliser or buying a stabiliser made for the fabric you are embroidering on (expensive option) it will help stop the shifting.  I have also found that if you get some of that rubbery non slip drawer liner and cut thin strips to put on the edges of your hoops when you hoop the fabric that it helps grip the fabric better and gives better results. It's cheap also which is a good thing.  Having said all that I love the designs you have done.  The little patches could be made into drink coasters or pockets on a bag or patches on jeans or something.  Anyway sorry for the novel and keep experimenting and having fun with your machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ive got a perfect body, though sometimes I forget
Ive got a perfect body cause my eyelashes catch my sweat
Yes, they do, they do
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Tips with Star Stylist Allan Avendano and Movie Star Joey King
How to Hide Thinning Hair
Five-Minute Health Fix for Dandruff
How to Maintain Color Treated Hair
Wavy Holiday Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...