A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
776 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zucchini!!!  (Read 2350 times)
Tags for this thread: casserole , side_dish  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sandkitty
Here I am! Over HERE!!

Let's create some ART!

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2007 08:07:02 AM »

I rec'd a 1/2 bushel of young fresh zucchini---I'll take recipes from anyone willing to share! Yummy with peppercorn ranch dressing BUT need more recipes! Thank you in advance for sharing recipes...desserts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DTchick
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007 08:13:17 AM »

Shish kabobs! Awesome, easy, and you can add whatever you'd like.

My favorite is grilling them in foil. Make a bag out of foil and add cut up zucchini, fresh garlic, your favorite buttery spread, and any additional seasonings you like. I use basil or thyme.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't cause commotions; I am one.

I didn't recognize you without the handcuffs.
spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007 10:04:19 AM »

Hi there...I have no dessert recipes (sorry!)  I know that people make zucchini bread, but I don't like it very much.  And you can apparently make "apple pie" using zucchini...please do post if you decide to go that route.  Smiley

Pasta and zucchini go wonderfully together.  I use this recipe as a guide -- the technique is a little unusual, but it's easy and you'd be amazed at how well it turns out.  I usually use about 6-8 oz of pasta, tons of garlic, and about 4 cups of thinly sliced veggies: zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, peas, asparagus...the zucchini is my favorite though.  (I've never actually tried adding the cacao nibs.  I like adding a little bit of lemon juice and lemon zest, or fresh herbs.  Basil is great in this...and you can make it a one-dish meal by adding a can of chickpeas.)

You can also make zucchini pancakes.  I don't really use a recipe (shredded zucchini, beaten egg, flour, salt, pepper), but here are a couple that seem like they might be close:
Potato-Zucchini Pancakes
Zucchini Pancakes (Sweet)

By the way, I'm totally jealous -- I can't grow produce to save my life, and I don't know anyone with a big garden either  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
sandkitty
Here I am! Over HERE!!

Let's create some ART!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007 12:04:21 PM »

LOL - jealous??!! I actually received the zucchini-me grow a veggie??? Shocked Flowers maybe... hahahahaha! I love and appreciate the recipes posted here-love them all! Let's see...grilling or in a pasta? BOTH!!! Great Choices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L-train
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007 12:13:41 PM »

I made these brownies just the other day. I thought they came out more like cake than brownies, but definitely still good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sandkitty
Here I am! Over HERE!!

Let's create some ART!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007 12:44:42 PM »

See now-read the entires-I would love the green specks-I am weird that way! BTW, the brownie recipe...yummy! My dessert!!! Thank you!

I made these brownies just the other day. I thought they came out more like cake than brownies, but definitely still good!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007 12:45:24 PM by sandkitty - Reason: addition » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007 01:33:35 PM »

Hi!  This is a recipe for "Zucchini Pasta," I make it quite often, it isn't vegan, but is meat free.  It contains cheese, so you may wish to omit the cheese or substitute with vegan cheese.

Before beginning the sauce, boil sufficient water in a large pot. You will prepare a 1 lb. bag/box of a tube-type pasta.

1. Saute 1 chopped, large green bell pepper, 1 chopped large yellow onion in about 1 T. olive oil on high heat. Let these veggies brown well, but don't burn them to the point where they're charred.

2. Now, add 2 roughly chopped, large zucchini to the pan, as well as about 2 T. dried basil flakes, and a few pinches of salt and pepper (to taste). Stir, cover, and allow to saute (on high) until the zucchini is soft and disintegrating into the mix.

3. Now, add about 3 c. red pepper marinara (recipe at http://lavameanslove.blogspot.com/search?q=honey) or bottled pasta sauce (not as good, in my opinion) to the pan, stir, and bring to simmer (still on high heat). When the sauce is bubbling, remove from the stove, and combine the pasta and sauce in a large, deep pan. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese shreds (or slices, if you have fresh), and shredded Parmesan cheese (optional) over the mixture.

4. Broil the casserole in dish in an oven, and watch closely (the cheese browns quickly). When the cheese is brown, the dish is done!

Here's a picture of the dish:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

busgirlbrown

Commuter and Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007 01:41:47 PM »

I make something very similar to lava's, except I use leftover grilled zukes - totally good.  I also like halfing them, scooping out the seeds, and filling the cavity with sauce and cheese before putting it under the broiler. 

I had something at a wedding once that was steamed zucchini filled w/soft cheese and green olives (it was the vegetarian option).  That was good, but sorry, no recipe. 

They're also good in burritos - had them like that at a restaurant, and now I'm a total convert.  They key is to only cook them slightly so they have a little crispness - better than lettuce! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two suki get crafty
www.craftsuki.blogs pot.com
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007 03:36:53 PM »

There's this really good vegetarian recipe that I use, but I add chicken for flavor. Basically you cut up tons of vegetables, including zucchinis and others in the squash family, mix it up with tomato/tomato sauce. It's really good and really healthy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
craft-matic
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007 04:05:57 PM »

Ooh, I love zucchini.  I found out last year that I'm allergic to wheat, and can have pasta no more.  But I've found that if I slice zucchini thin lengthwise, salt and press it over paper towels, it makes a fabulous pasta-less lasagna.  It is also good boiled with eggplant in tomato sauce (with garlic and herb and butter, of course) and then ladled over fried polenta.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Putting in Hair Extensions
How To Prepare Short Hair For Hair Extensions
How To Attach Hair Extensions To Short Hair
How To Prepare Long Hair For Hair Extensions
How To Attach Hair Extensions To Long Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...