A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gift for friend going to Canada  (Read 929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

paramecium
« on: May 30, 2007 01:37:05 AM »

Im looking for a gift for a friend, she will go on a study exchange to Canada in august (and stay at least till december), its a long way away (from europe) and i want to make her something fun/nice/practical/cool/sweet/whatever.
Shes an economy student, she likes fashion (especially shoes Wink ), chocolates, sheeps, good music, to have things organized properly,
dancing (salsa etc), 50s stuff, ....
and shes 21.

I had already some ideas (like making one of these hats with fur ear flaps (i made one for myelf and love it), but i doubt wether she would wear it.
Or I could sew up something to keep her jewelery in.

But i would like to give someting with a canada theme.

Ah and since she is always overloading her luggage, it must not be something big.

ideas? thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007 11:44:20 AM »

You could buy a hanging shoe rack and decorate each pocket with different embroidery or iron-on patches.  That way you would have room to put things that would remind her of home as well as celebrating her trip.  The shoe rack rolls up so that it wouldn't take much room in her luggage, and if she loves shoes as much as you say, then she'd see it every day. 

(There's nothing special about the one that I linked to -- it's more just to give you an idea of what I was thinking about.  So that I wouldn't have to say roll-up hanging shoe-holder thingy.  Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
EnchantedDandelions

I believe in magic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007 11:46:47 AM »

Maybe make/decorate a couple journals for her to take along to write about her trip... and a few matching photo albums?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

April: hippy momma to Abbie (2yo) and Isaiah (11mo). 

Enchanted Dandelions- My Etsy
Life in the Mountains- My Blog
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007 09:10:19 PM »

Recon a pair of shoes for her.

Make a sheep-shaped purse or stuffy!

Make a MP3 cozy.

Make a journal/calender/organizer thing. Decorate it. Get a lot of inspiration from the Paper crafts section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
ninjanator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007 07:48:21 PM »

it's cold up here in Canada in december-ish (although it was unseasonably warm this past november) so a scarf would be good Smiley any type of "keep-warm" presents will probably help Tongue

Maybe you could give her something to cure home-sickness, that kind of thing. 'Cause she can always buy the Canadian themed things up here (we have gift shops everywhere. With tons of memorabilia with moose, beavers, and the like. Oh and maple syrup candy/biscuits -> which are delish so ask her to bring home some biscuits Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
shea_47
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007 10:20:47 AM »

i agree with ninjanator. in certain parts of canada, it's very very very very cold in the winter (in northern ontario it hit -49 degrees celsius every day for a week and a half). so mittens, a scarf, a hat, thick socks or something along that vein would be good. even if she is not a hat person, she will (probably) come to be one, lol.

canada themed stuff is a-plenty out here...especially in august when stores are still trying to get rid of stuff from canada day (july 1st).

the jewelry holder is a nice idea. if she likes to be super organized, you could always get her a jewelry case and decorate the outside with stuff that reminds her of home and her friends/family there.

(by the way, if she is studying in thunder bay, ontario, tell her to try a persian...it's like a cinamon bun with pink icing on the top, they're amazingly delicious!!! i always buy half-a-dozen when my family drives through there!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I have put my heart and soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." -Vincent van Gogh
white trash hero
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007 05:01:12 PM »

-49, im supposed to be going
jeez, took me long enough to get used to english weather!

im getting a maple leaf tattooed on my foot as a reminder kinda thing (not in red just autumn-y looking)
but her get her something to remind her of home! good tea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
projectwonderland
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007 08:16:31 PM »

Possible some personalized pre-stamped post cards so she can write home?

and maybe a mixed CD with all your (you and her) fav songs with a personalized case.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007 08:19:00 PM by projectwonderland » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize Football Cutouts template
How to Resize a Page in Photoshop
How to Add Texture
How to Add Photos to a Frame
How to Personalize the Urban Grunge Template
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...