A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Falls (fake hair...yay!)  (Read 42967 times)
Tags for this thread: hair_fall , dread_fall , yarn , wool , wool_dreads , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Uglytrollgirl

I eat lead paint and i cannot lie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2004 01:10:52 PM »

Yes you could! There are a a few methods you could use to do it.  You should go on http://www.quinnster.co.uk   It has alot of great techniques and is VERY helpful.  Just to sum up the method that seems pretty easy and temporary, is to make invididual dreads with loops at the top, thread hair thru with a latch hook tool, or crochet needle, and braid a little bit of your own hair in, secure with tiny rubber band.  This to me seems the easiest to do and remove.  but there are TONS of ways, you should definitely check out the website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY or die
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2004 10:32:36 AM »

Here are some other hairpieces I have done recently. Some of them are not made of synthetic hair, but the method of wearing them is the same!

Those are some natural colored double-ended dreads that ended up in a pair of falls for a customer.

and

These falls are made with several kinds of plastic rexlace, plastic grid mesh, EVA foam strips, vinyl tubing in two colors, and are mounted on strips of old black teeshirt. My customer had thin hair in a growing-out undercut, so she needed a pair of lightweight falls. So we used plastic rather than synthetic hair! It takes a lot of the massive weight off of the head.

So, my point is...you can use all kinds of things in your falls to make them super fancy, even if you don't know how to make dreads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
Greame
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2004 12:27:33 PM »

Sorry offtopic.. but omg carpejugulum you look amazing!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2004 10:07:02 AM »

Sorry offtopic.. but omg carpejugulum you look amazing!  Cheesy

If you're looking at my user photo, thanks! If you're looking at the head with the falls on, that's Angela, the girl I did the pieces for, not me.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
Greame
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2004 08:27:14 AM »

i was looking at your avatar  Wink  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2004 09:19:48 PM »

Thanks kindly! I'm wearing a pair of my dreadfalls.

Has anyone had any luck making their own dreads besides me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2004 09:23:35 PM »

I was successful at making ribbon falls once...  I also threw in some clear tubing and yarn.  they were cool, but much more perky and punky than gothy.  they were for a costume.

all I did was take a piece of old nylons and started putting ribbons and yarn on it using a half hitch knot.  then I sewed the tubing in.  I varied the lengths of the pieces so that they were bouncy looking.  to wear them, I put my hair in pigtails and tied the pieces of nylons around each pigtail and then wrapped a leg of nylons in a figure eight around the pigtails to pull them together higher and to help with the weight issue.  I covered the top of my head with a scarf.

I wish I had pictures but I don't have any with me at the moment, and the falls have since vanished...  maybe I'll have to make some more!   Grin
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004 09:28:34 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2004 06:06:56 AM »

Those are the best!!!! I have a stylist friend who will absolutely go wild when she sees those. (emailing page....now!)  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Uglytrollgirl

I eat lead paint and i cannot lie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2004 02:11:52 PM »

carpejugulum, your dreads are so neat and tight!  mine lost their shape almost immediatly.  What heating method did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY or die
Lilitha

~*~Hyper Kawaii Puff Ball~*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2004 08:48:25 PM »

These are old pics of me...but I'm wearing my falls here.. the corset-shirt was also altered by me... I don't remember the brand of hair I used here...I think it was called something like jumbo hair and it costed me $6 cdn... the hair itself was very frizzy... which made life easier since the dreads kinda stick together and doesn't require heat setting... this type of hair will not straighten even under boiling water... it will straighten a little but not much...

Currently right now I'm working on a synth red dread wig... the materials I'm using is this type of yarn... it looks flat-ish and is long fine strands of synth fiber twisted together..... these are originally used for knitting/crocheting those slippers and bags and what not... but I like how easily they fluff up and stay together as dreads...

*Note*oh yea I found out what they're called now... slippers and crafting yarn and I fixed all those stupid words...I tend to type in the wrong words when I'm tired...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004 11:05:15 PM by Lilitha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~I Fell In Love When I Fell Down The Stairs~*~
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is Crochet
Crochet for Beginners: Turning
Crochet for Beginners: Posture and Hand Position
Crochet for Beginners: Triple Crochet Stitch
Crochet for Beginners: Single Crochet Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...