A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
319 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Falls (fake hair...yay!)  (Read 41915 times)
Tags for this thread: hair_fall , dread_fall , yarn , wool , wool_dreads , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dragornaked

handsoffassasta.net

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2004 10:54:34 AM »

kkiinnkkyy,

Is there an alternative to wool I could use? (I don't wear wool - vegan here!)

i've not made any yet, but reading the posts and on quinnster, there's plenty of synthetic alternatives, depending on the type of look you want to achieve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarab
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2004 10:18:34 PM »

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but I didn't see it anywhere - seasoned hair divas will know this, but I think it can save beginners from some frustrations:

When making fake dreads it's absolutely essential to use Kanekalon type fake-hair!
You *might* get lucky with other types, but chances are slim, as "KK" is the only hair that "melts" together good enough for the dreads to stick together.

If you can't find any where you live, Dr Locks have what you'll need - I've ordered from her/them many times, and have always been very happy. (Kanekalon Jumbo Braid is great.)

Someone mentioned having trouble with "crunchy"(?) dreads - try do dunk them in a pot of boiling water and hang them to dry; it might help.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2004 09:18:33 PM »

When making fake dreads it's absolutely essential to use Kanekalon type fake-hair!
You *might* get lucky with other types, but chances are slim, as "KK" is the only hair that "melts" together good enough for the dreads to stick together.

Actually, I have been making dreads for over a year and a half, and for me, I don't think the KK works as well as the cheap synthetic braid. I am probably the ONLY person who believes this, but I also iron my dreads rather than steam or hairdry them. I like smooth, melted, skinny dreads, so the reaction of synthetic to my iron is perfect. If you're looking for a more natural, hairy finish, Scarab is right: KK is better for you.

Some recent projects for me, just so this isn't text only:

Double ended synthetic dreads in flamingo pink and lime, made from the synthetic.

And a single black and flamingo pink fall with swirls made for Rachel of Agent-Designs corsetry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
Asha
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2004 02:13:28 AM »

Looking for instructions on makeing falls brought me here to crafter.org and I finally made some there a little uneven now from wear but here are som pics

THIS ROCKS   Logged
irishprincessbk
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2005 08:48:02 AM »

Here are some other hairpieces I have done recently. Some of them are not made of synthetic hair, but the method of wearing them is the same!

Those are some natural colored double-ended dreads that ended up in a pair of falls for a customer.

These falls are made with several kinds of plastic rexlace, plastic grid mesh, EVA foam strips, vinyl tubing in two colors, and are mounted on strips of old black teeshirt. My customer had thin hair in a growing-out undercut, so she needed a pair of lightweight falls. So we used plastic rather than synthetic hair! It takes a lot of the massive weight off of the head.

So, my point is...you can use all kinds of things in your falls to make them super fancy, even if you don't know how to make dreads.

how did you put the plastic on the hair falls an dwere di you find them i have been lookign for some plastic part sto make arm bands and thjings liek that
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005 01:51:01 PM by girlypirate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"THE CALM THAT KILLED THE STORM"--------06/16/05
irishprincessbk
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2005 08:52:48 AM »

I make dreadfalls. Oh yes, yes I do.

There's how I look today. Coincidence that we took some photos and people are interested in hair today.

There's a close up of my dreads. They are made from steam-sealed silky jumbo synthetic hair that I purchased at a beauty supply store.

Quinnster's site (URL in a post above) is really the best place to learn how to create hair, but I would be glad to make a tutorial at some point for those of you who want to learn through this site. I do dreads from synthetic hair that are quite sleek and smooth, loose falls with wool yarn (keeps your ears warm!), and I've made a silly wig or two with craftfoam, plastic lacing, and tinsel.

You'd be surprised at what you can put in your hair these days!

And there are the wool falls.

I can also do dreads for folks if you'd like. They're not easy to do and are time consuming, so if you want to be lazy, sweet. I'd be glad to craft for you, just send me a message. Grin

can you post a tutorial up here please, im tryed and failed at the hairfalls again, its rellay geting annoyign that i cant get it anywere near right
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005 01:51:38 PM by girlypirate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"THE CALM THAT KILLED THE STORM"--------06/16/05
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2005 09:41:25 AM »

my hair is about 2" short.  do i have any fake hair options?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KellytheGoddess
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2005 10:03:21 AM »

Absolutely amazing!  I guess I always thought that the dreads were permanent when I'd seen them on people before.  I am so glad to know that they can be made removable!  I'm going to have to work on that right after I come out of hiding in the library for like the month before my law school finals!  You can see that removability is a key issue when I'm going to be walking into court soon! Shocked  

Anyhow, quick question:  I like the idea of the lace/top of a stocking as the piece you attach the dreads to, but as I was reading the previous pages of this post (or on one of the many helpful links that was suggested) a clip of some sort was mentioned.  Is this just a barrette?  Is it one of those "claw" like hair accessories? Is there a type of clip that works better than others (e.g. the bigger the better, to help anchor it to your natural hair??) or is some sort of tie-on the way to go on this?

Oh, I guess I have a second question too: I have a natural haircolor that is a dishwater blonde...nothing out of the ordinary...should my dreads have some of this color in them.  What I guess I really mean is: will I like I just got a mass of colored hair stuck to my head accidentally if it is WAY far from matching?  Perhaps it is all in the way you pin some of the pieces in place after it is attached to your matural hair???

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't want to be obvious, I want to surprise myself...
imnotasuperhero

you know i'm not a super hero...

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2005 01:33:57 PM »

This thread is making me want to get back into fake hair!
 I made some double ended dreads last fall that turned out really well. I used two shades of brown jumbo braid(on sale!) so I would get a more natural look and I used steam(from a kettle) and a flat iron to set the dreads.  Took me a few evenings to rat the hair, I found that a good metal flea comb works really well for that, and another couple evenings to heat set them.I had a friend braid them into my hair and they looked really good.
I used to be really into doing weird things to my hair but since I got a job I have to keep it looking normal so fake hair is about all I can do. I think my next big project is going to be some awesome hair piece...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for clear safety eyes (15mm or 18mm)
snowwhitesuicide
Thrash&Burn

Another twenty-something knitter with an attitude.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2005 01:05:39 PM »

Most of these links aren't there anymore. So I think I basically have the concept of dread falls, I'm pretty good at making shit work without much instruction, I do have one question though, I want the skinny stick like result, when you iron them, do you just put your iron right on the dreads? And if so does it get any gunk on your iron??? I use my iron a lot, so I don't want to be making a purse or something and get goop on my iron, I'll just buy a dread fall iron specifically for that purpose. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005 01:22:45 PM by snowwhitesuicide » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Hair Care Tips For Moms
Cut Down Your Morning Routine With the Best Dry Shampoos
How To Blow Dry Your Bangs Like A Pro
Easy Braided Updo Tutorial: Summer Wedding Style
Must Try Shampoos For Your Hair Type
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...