A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,581
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knit-blogging question: WIP progress bars??  (Read 719 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2007 04:07:33 PM »

Okay, so I surf a lot of knitting blogs just about every day, and a lot of them have those nifty little progress bars in their sidebars of what they are currently making. The problem is, I can't find where anyone got them! Please help me!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
JennBabe
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007 07:09:54 PM »

I wonder the same thing!  I have just recently posted something on my blog, and am going to try and post more often.  I want to know how to get those progress bars also! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girldistracted
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007 01:00:46 AM »

There are a few different ways to do them. Some use flashy programming and css, both of which you'd probably need access to the code of your blog, which some free blog providers won't give you (at wordpress, you have to pay for example, but at blogger you can edit to your hearts content.)

There a version using tables which is what I'm using at the moment. It's relatively straightforward, but can be a bit fiddly if you're not used to working with html.

The easiest way to do it is probably using pictures. It seems annoying since you need to upload multiple pictures, but it'll work anywhere on any blog or website and is easy to use and change.

I'm sure there are other ways out there and that others can expand but i'm mostly familiar with the ones that work without changing css and other code since wordpress doesn't let me access it without paying and I'm cheap!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007 01:02:03 AM by girldistracted » THIS ROCKS   Logged

klement
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007 03:04:40 AM »

I do mine with css and used this tutorial :

http://knitticisms.blogspot.com/2005/04/how-to-those-nifty-progress-bars.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ImaginationsEnd
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007 07:27:22 AM »

I second the "pictures and HTML" method from yarntomato.com. It's what I use on my blog, and its worked out quite well so far. Just read the whole page, and you'll get a good feel for what you have to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
randomcyn

OH MY GOD IT'S EATING MY HEAD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007 09:31:51 AM »

I use the CSS method. I didn't follow any instructions but it looks like I'm pretty much doing the same thing as the tutorial klement posted. The one thing I don't like about this method is that I can't put the percentage number in or beside the bar, so I think I'm going to try tweaking mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007 01:14:58 PM »

Thanks! I think the CSS thing is kind of out of the question for me right now since I don't want to pay just to change the template...oh how I wish Blogger could import posts so I could switch...
Anyway, I tried the table thing and it seemed to work, except I can't seem to figure out how to manipulate how wide the bar is so that it'll correspond to the percent. Girldistracted, how did you do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
girldistracted
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007 06:54:21 PM »

Thanks! I think the CSS thing is kind of out of the question for me right now since I don't want to pay just to change the template...oh how I wish Blogger could import posts so I could switch...
Anyway, I tried the table thing and it seemed to work, except I can't seem to figure out how to manipulate how wide the bar is so that it'll correspond to the percent. Girldistracted, how did you do it?

You have to change the numbers in several places, that's why it's a bit fiddly. Roughly in the middle of the code, it's got <td width=10" and <td width'"90", that's the two cells that are the first bit of the percentage bar (the completed, coloured bit) and the blank space. So in the first one you put how much you've done, for example 30, then in the second you'd put 70 (ie 100-30). The other bit that's a bit annoying is that by putting the bit where it says 10% where it is in the tutorial it centres it in the blank section, which could look a bit stupid if you had say 90% done. You can move it to the first cell, ie put it in between the two td tags, or just put it below the whole bar (this is what I've done). So yeah, you have to change the values in the few different places.

When I get around to it, I'm going to upload the yarn tomato images. Just one line of code, one img tag, and if you upload them with files names like 10.png, all you would have to do is to change the one bit to 20.png or whatever.

Hopefully that made sense, I'm really bad at explaining things and tend to ramble way too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Southern Breakfast
How to make Fried Squash and Zucchini
How to make Mashed Potatoes
How to make Salisbury Steak Hamburger Steak with Gravy
How to make Mixed Beans
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...