A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tattoo question  (Read 633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2007 04:03:21 PM »

My darling daughter (who I just want to string up by her toes right now) went out and got herself a tattoo for her birthday.  Now...I don't have a problem with tattoos.  I have even thought about getting one for myself.  What I have a problem with is the fact that she got it on the back of her hand, kind of by the thumb area.

My question is how are some ways for her to cover this up when she needs to interact with the real world?  She is planning on becoming a costumer in either the film or theater fields so she feels like it will be no big deal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007 05:16:48 PM »

there are make up kits designed to cover up tats, i've never tried them but a lot of people are crazy about them.
http://www.ivillage.co.uk/beauty/makeup/foundation/qas/0,,548141_577618,00.html

http://www.smartcover.com/sc_concealer2.php?gclid=CPyjnr3OtIwCFRROQwod0mI-Rg

here are a couple links for some makeup options.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
FauxChina

Hello, my name is AAAAAAAAAHHHH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007 05:38:45 PM »

What shop did she go to?  That way I know to avoid it...  Most reputable shops will not tattoo hands, necks or faces unless the person is already heavily tattooed, or at the very least will try extremely hard to talk the client out of that placement.  I hope the makeup kits work, because chances are she will need them until she has actually established a career.  If you're good at knitting, the only thing I can think of other than gloves is a sweater with thumb holes in the sleeves, but then that isn't job interview attire...  Ooh what about some kind of funky bracelet with an attached ring if you are into jewelery making?

I wish her luck in getting into the particular field that she is interested in, and hope that she isn't part of the majority that changes careers at least 5 times in their life time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a new mom to my beautiful baby girl Rhaevyn, born June 12th, she keeps me super busy.
letusplay
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007 07:35:11 PM »

i understand your concern.
i got a tattoo on my chest, and my parents dont mind it, they only worry about my wedding day.  most likely they will make me cover it up with makeup, but i will most likely refuse.  my tattoo is as much a part of me as any other part of my body.

As for a tattoo holding you back from a job? i can cover the tattoo up with modest blouses and tee shirts, but personally, i wouldnt want to work at any place who would refuse me a job because of a tattoo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007 07:09:51 AM »

Thanks for the links Kurtzie.  I had not heard of that brand of make-up before.

Don't worry FauxChina, we are in Houston area in Texas.  Far away from you.  She was apparently very insistant for the hand.  When I asked why, she said it was because she didn't want to take off any clothes to get to an area to be tattooed.  That's why she had it done on her hand.

Letusplay, I understand what you are saying about not wanting to work for someone who would judge you just on your appearance, but the sad truth is that there are a lot of people like that. 

I just worry about her trying to get established in her career.  That's why I wanted her to pick some place that could be covered up for a job interview or meeting with a director or whatever.  It really isn't the thought of her having a tattoo, it is just the fact that it is on her hand that is driving me crazy.  Especially since she didn't have a good reason for placing it there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Jon Scieszka Talks About Spoonfuls of Stories
The World of Philippa Gregory
Peter Akinti Talks About Forest Gate
Author Adena Halpern Reveals Her Favorite Movies
Author Peter Lerangis Offers Some Advice for Aspiring Writers
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...