A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,221
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anthropologie Inspired Bridesmaid's Dress - Now with Tute!  (Read 15434 times)
Tags for this thread: simplicity_3799 , dress , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WendyZ
« on: May 29, 2007 01:12:22 PM »

My cousin is getting married this Saturday, and she asked me to be a bridesmaid about 6 weeks ago.  Of course, I waited until yesterday to make a dress, but it was fairly simple. 
My inspiration is this dress from Anthropologie:

I used Simplicity 3799, made it formal length, added an elastic casing to the inside, and added the ribbon sash...VIOLA!

The entire dress is more the color of the neckband - (may camera does wondrous things when you use the flash!)

Here's a close-up of said neckband:

The dress is made from dull satin and chiffon from the "dyed-to-match" table at JoAnn's with a poly-cotton broadcloth lining.  (The wedding's on the beach so I wanted something that would breathe!)

With coupons and sales the dress cost under $30.00 to make and I just got shoes at Payless for $8.00!!!  This is the cheapest wedding I've ever had to be in!

Thanks for looking!

Okay, I finally got around to coming up with a tute for this!  I made another one from some batik fabric my Mom bought for me (YAY MOM!) and I took some pics along the way...well, actually, a lot of pics! 

1.  Cut out your dress and neck pieces.  I cut one of each neck piece, interfaced them, then cut out the lining/facing.  I've found there's better accuracy in the fit between the two pieces when you do that.  BTW - if you want to add length, now's the time to do it.  I figured out what my desired length from under my arm to the floor and added accordingly.  When purchasing your fabric, get your length twice and you'll have enough fabric. 

Dress pieces

Neck pieces

2.  Sew together the body of the dress and finish your armholes.  I faced the arms with bias tape in this dress, b/c that's all the facing pattern piece does anyway.  If you buy extra-wide double-fold bias tape, you can use it all folded up for the underarms, and press out the center fold for the elastic waist band casing. 

Body pieces sewn together

3.  Sew two lines of gathering stitches along the top of the front and back of the dress.  Pull the bobbin threads to gather.  I pressed the gathers down so they would lie flat when I was working with the neck piece and that made it a lot easier. 

Gathering stitches

4.  Grecian neckline -
 - Sew your neck pieces together at the shoulder seams.

- Sew the inner circles of the neck piece and its facing/lining together (right sides together), clip profusely and press.  (I'm almost positive that this is NOT how the pattern says to do it, but this is how I did it and I'm happy with the results.)

- Sew a line of stitches 5/8" from the outer edge of the lining/facing of the neck (the non-interfaced side).  You'll use these stitches later. 
 - Pin the outer edge of the interfaced side of the neck piece to the front and back of the dress.  Remember the deeper curve matches with the fuller gathers (that's the front!) 

- Sew all the way around the outer edge - even on the parts that aren't pinned to the front an back of the dress.  You'll use these stitches later!

- Press your outer curve.  Press the curve inward along the dress edge.  Now you're going to use the extra lines of stitches.  Use them as your guide to press the shoulder parts of the neck piece inward.  Press the lining/facing piece all the way around along the line of stitches you did earlier using them as a pressing guide.  Be careful not to burn your fingers with steam from the iron!
Outer Piece

Lining/Facing

-  Finish your neck piece.  Pin the lining/facing to the part of the neck piece that shows and sew them together.  I hand-stitched these together from the inside of the dress.  You can edgestitch them together on machine if you want.  (That's probably what I would have done if I didn't feel like watching a movie instead.  This was sewn together while watching Stranger Than Fiction - great movie!)

Pinned together

Sewing the facing

Finished neck piece - inside

5.  Elastic Casing. 
 - Find the placement of your waistband casing. I tried my dress on, and put a pin where I thought it should go.  Then I folded the dress in half longways and pinned the other side.  Then I folded it along those pins and pressed  a line into it.  I used that as my placement line for the casing.   
 - Sew extra-wide bias tape to the inside of the dress along your waist-line.  Sew along the top and bottom edge of the bias tape.  (Go higher for an empire style, or lower for a blouson style.)  I started at one side seam and left an opening when I came back around, so I could run the elastic through. 

- Measure, cut and insert your elastic.  Sew the ends together with a zig-zag stitch. 

6.  Hem your dress, make a sash or tie some ribbon around your waist and wear that sucker!

If this makes no sense or if you have any questions, please let me know!

Hapy Sewing Grin
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009 03:55:14 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Flute with no holes is not a Flute.  A Donut with no holes is a Danish.
susankg53
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007 01:15:45 PM »

nice dress
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007 01:30:05 PM »

Wow that's pretty. You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
MirthFairy
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007 02:02:04 PM »

Pretty! I like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pomegranateseeds
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007 02:03:49 PM »

I love it!  Very pretty (and cheap).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MasterBlaster
LONESOME NO MORE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007 03:10:34 PM »

It's breathtaking, seriously!  Way better than the Antropologie one, I mean it.  I love the color and it drapes way better.  You, my friend, are a master.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
New2sewing
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007 03:48:10 PM »

this is officially my first post on Craftster and I must say it because i'm super impressed. Could you please give a tutorial on how you sewed the grecian neckline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WendyZ
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007 06:03:29 PM »

Wow, nobody's ever asked me for a tut before!!!

I don't have time to write it out before I go to Florida, but I'll definitely do it when I get back.  Hope you can wait a week Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Flute with no holes is not a Flute.  A Donut with no holes is a Danish.
rufous03

feeling dancey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007 08:14:03 PM »

oo, i like it!  the ribbon is a nice touch. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fingertip
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007 05:57:47 AM »

oh your dress is sooo beautiful! i too would like a tute when you get back! Smiley
did you use a zipper at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Plait Hair
How to Flat Iron Black Hair
How to French Braid
How to Style Hair with Wax
How to Use a Hair Diffuser
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...