A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 306,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question I know has been asked a billion times - Pricing on Etsy  (Read 1999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mienna
« on: May 29, 2007 10:44:02 AM »

Ok, I've just started listing on Etsy (within the last few weeks) and I'm having a really hard time pricing my items. I know some people say charge $10 an hour for your time + materials, and others say materials x 3. But I don't want to rip anyone off, I'm not going to lie I bargain hunt for material I use. Including fabric, yarn, etc. If I see a sell at ac moore for cotton fabric, and I plan on making some hand towels, I'm all over it like stink on poo. So, what's fair? How do y'all judge how much to charge? Any have a tried and true method of figuring out what to charge?

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007 03:46:02 PM »

Pricing is really hard. I used to think that the cheaper the price, that more people would buy it and you'd get a better turn out. I found out that you'd be getting ripped off and some would be turned off by it. I just think of a reasonable price taking into consideration time, effort, and materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007 07:03:15 AM »

If you're looking for one singular way to price that is above and beyond all others, I'm sorry but you're unlikely to find it.  Pricing methods vary.  Price in a way that you're comfortable with.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=143666.msg1441637#msg1441637
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007 07:06:06 AM »

Thanks for the link, I looked at that. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xxmetal_mistressxx
+you'll rebel to anything+

I am god or at least I smell like it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007 02:49:45 PM »

I'm Just starting my etsy shop as well, and what i've done is searched simular items that are being sold. Take for example bottlecap pedants. Some are sold from $7 to $25 dollars depending on the embellishments.

So with that example I would say
1. The price range found on etsy (low-highest)
2. The material cost (the price for resin, embellishment/charms, bottlecap, chain, and jump rings. since they're bought in bulk I would said by giving it to someone i'm only out maybe x dollars)
3. The amount you would reasonably pay. If something is 25 bucks your more likely to think about that purchase. If something is 4 or 5 dollars you are more likely to do an impulse buy or add it to your order.
4. Shipping Cost. (high shipping cost outweigh low prices sometimes.)

There for starting out I would be able to confortably be able to sell the bottlecap necklaces at 8.50 + shipping.

Now over time after you get comfortable with etsy, you have a larger base of sales,  and you perfect your items I would say I would feel comfortable to adjust the prices.

Main rule of thumb as much as we would like to sell a pillowcase with a couple lines on it and call it modern art for $250. The likelyhood of the purchase is very high. Just think about what you would honestly pay. The lower prices will pay off once you get a lot of people
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like my coffee black just like my metal.

I make fun plastic jewelry check it out!
www.poisonousporkipine.etsy.com
Love personal swaps!
The 100 atc challenge 5/100. The happy 100 atc challange 0/100
xxmetal_mistressxx
+you'll rebel to anything+

I am god or at least I smell like it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007 02:51:19 PM »

I took a look at your shop and think it's perfect. I would feel comfortable buying your items!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like my coffee black just like my metal.

I make fun plastic jewelry check it out!
www.poisonousporkipine.etsy.com
Love personal swaps!
The 100 atc challenge 5/100. The happy 100 atc challange 0/100
Mienna
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007 09:42:25 PM »

Thanks! Cheesy

And I agree about what you've said. I'm still trying to iron out some flaws, I think. Mostly I want better photography for myself, but it's not a skill I was born with unfortunately. :p

Also, my thoughts on shipping, it will totally turn me off a site if the shipping is obscenely  high, but it feels like they're trying to rip me off from the get-go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pawsntails
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007 09:42:29 PM »

I tried to find similar items and come out somewhere in the middle.  I started with my prices too low and I could tell right away that I wouldn't be happy with continuing on like that.  I think you will get a good sense once you're selling.  I did the hourly plus materials format when pricing.  But then there's the buying your materials time, posting items etc...it's endless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quality fabric pet collars
http://www.pawsntails.etsy.com
Mienna
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007 09:46:19 PM »

Yeah, every few days I swear I open it up and debate the prices, I probably spend more time doing that then anything else. I don't want to under charge, but I don't want to rip anyone off either. Constant... Struggle... AHHH!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pawsntails
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007 10:38:20 AM »

Yeah, every few days I swear I open it up and debate the prices, I probably spend more time doing that then anything else. I don't want to under charge, but I don't want to rip anyone off either. Constant... Struggle... AHHH!!!

I hear ya - I have agonized and agonized over pricing for the exact same reasons!  Also about shipping - I want to cover my costs, have a teeny buffer but not charge too much.  I have spent much time tweaking my shipping costs too.  (I'm in Canada so costs are higher for me)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quality fabric pet collars
http://www.pawsntails.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Order of Applying Makeup
Lip Color: Four Girls One Look
Truth Be Told: Why Do We Wax?
How To Use the NYX Color Correcting Palette
Jennifer Lopez Slays It in 10 Outfits at AMAs
Latest Blog Articles
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap
The X-Files

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...