A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sublime Stitching Woodburning  (Read 2278 times)
Tags for this thread: woodwork , woodburn  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lady4feet
« on: May 28, 2007 06:01:21 PM »

This is my first woodburning project and I got to say it's not the greatest but I still like it. The pics (except the little stars) are from sublime stitching craftopia pattern.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/lady4feet/IMG_0232.jpg

On some parts, mostly the writing it looks like I gouged the wood more then burned it. Was this from the tip not being hot enough or was I just pressing to hard  Huh

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/lady4feet/IMG_0234.jpg

I was thinking about adding some color with a wash but I'm not sure, what do you all think?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011 07:17:56 PM by LimeRiot - Reason: converted broken images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007 07:01:58 PM »

I've never heard of woodburning. That's amazing! Hehe, I love what you chose to burn into pictures.

How'd you do it? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
susankg53
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007 09:12:20 PM »

WIP's- have you seriously never heard of woodburning? There is a tool that plugs into electricity and the tip gets very hot and you just draw it across the wood to burn your design. Well there's more to it than that, but that is what it is. I bet if you look on the internet you'll find some really awesome work out there.

lady4feet- very cute little sign.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007 09:17:57 PM »

WIP's- have you seriously never heard of woodburning?

Seriously. Cheesy

There is a tool that plugs into electricity and the tip gets very hot and you just draw it across the wood to burn your design. Well there's more to it than that, but that is what it is. I bet if you look on the internet you'll find some really awesome work out there.

Oh, that's very cool. I get it. I'm going to go search it right now. Thanks, susan. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007 09:51:33 PM »

On some parts, mostly the writing it looks like I gouged the wood more then burned it. Was this from the tip not being hot enough or was I just pressing to hard  Huh

Do you have a burner with a universal tip, or one that has interchangable tips?  Best thing for script or curved lines is the rounded point tip.  You will get cleaner lines this way.  But...it looks great, keep up to good work.
As for color, I have done this before, but only in certain areas.  Such as a pink wash on the dress form, red pin cushion, ect.  All over color rarely looks good.

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
Midnightoak
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007 11:53:46 PM »

For a first project you are well on your way.

As for pressing, you shouldn't really be pressing much at all. My dad always explained it as an aeroplane coming into land and then taking off again. It makes it much slower to burn but you get neater results. However that comes with practice more than anything else as you get to know your wood and pen better.

Temperature could be the problem, especially if you have a single temp pen, but with practice you can work round that so keep it up  Smiley

What wood were you using, because that can also seriously affect the quality of the burn as they burn at different temperatures and have different grain?
For example, ash is difficult to burn as it burns hot, pine is almost impossible to get neat (although a rustic finish is sometimes nice) etc. Experiment with different types of wood until you find ones you like. You are definitely on the right track.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007 04:36:44 AM »

On some parts, mostly the writing it looks like I gouged the wood more then burned it. Was this from the tip not being hot enough or was I just pressing to hard  Huh

Do you have a burner with a universal tip, or one that has interchangable tips?  Best thing for script or curved lines is the rounded point tip.  You will get cleaner lines this way.  But...it looks great, keep up to good work.
As for color, I have done this before, but only in certain areas.  Such as a pink wash on the dress form, red pin cushion, ect.  All over color rarely looks good.

Sorcha

One with interchangeable tips, it's just a cheap one from Hobby Lobby nothing fancy. For the script I started using the rounded point tip but the pen was getting so hot it was starting to be uncomfortable to hold so I took a break and decided to use a different point.

For a first project you are well on your way.

As for pressing, you shouldn't really be pressing much at all. My dad always explained it as an aeroplane coming into land and then taking off again. It makes it much slower to burn but you get neater results. However that comes with practice more than anything else as you get to know your wood and pen better.

Temperature could be the problem, especially if you have a single temp pen, but with practice you can work round that so keep it up  Smiley

What wood were you using, because that can also seriously affect the quality of the burn as they burn at different temperatures and have different grain?
For example, ash is difficult to burn as it burns hot, pine is almost impossible to get neat (although a rustic finish is sometimes nice) etc. Experiment with different types of wood until you find ones you like. You are definitely on the right track.

Oh thanks for the tip, I like that description. The wood was just one of those cheap plaques you can buy at the craft store. I think it's basswood maybe? Something really soft. Maybe I'll upgrade for my next project.

Thanks for the comments and tips guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RobertaMac
Space Putz

Bun In Oven

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007 07:02:08 AM »

That looks awesome!
You should email the pictures to Jenny, I'll bet she would just love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tadpole due- November 2008!
Another craft project, home made!

My stepmother's apron site

Wist
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007 03:12:40 PM »

for a first effort, it's not bad.  As others have stated, you just need to practice on different kinds of wood.  I have found the best wood for burning is maple, although it's sort of expensive.  Go to your local cabinetmakers shop and see if you can beg a piece of maple.

Also, all woodburners are different.  There are the cheapie hobby-type burners that are about 18 watts.  The next step up is about 35 watts.  After that, you get into professional-type burners.  Tips are different also and again, just practice with them. 

Good luck and have fun.  You are off to a good start.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007 05:37:05 PM »

Usually, if it's getting too hot to hold, you are holding it too tight.  Loosen your grip a little, and that might help.

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Johnny Wujek Shares His Prom Style Tips
Worst Dressed at 2014 Golden Globes
Best Dressed at 2014 Golden Globes
How to Rock a Perfect Stylish Workday Outfit
-- PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD VIDEOS ON MY STUDIO!
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...