A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,763
Currently Running With Scissors:
784 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Piratical corsetish floaty top from Pirates of the Caribbean Swap ***Tutorial***  (Read 3762 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teraspawn
« on: May 28, 2007 03:35:06 PM »

Front, modelled by a delightful though rather pudgy pillow:

Back, same:

Click here to see gallery pictures, on a proper human being.

This is the first proper tute I've really made, so I'd love some feedback on it! I pretty much winged the pattern after I found the fabric.

Four Pattern Pieces:

Measurements
A: Chest measurement + 5"
B: Distance from beneath bust to hips, or however long you want the top to be + 2"
C: Distance from collarbone to middle of back + 2" (about the length of your bra strap)
D: Distance from beneath bust to collarbone
E: Chest measurement divided by 4 + 4"

Cut one of piece 1, and two each of piece 2, piece 3 and piece 4 out of your fabric.
You will also need a fairly substantial amount of ribbon, and a piece of elastic 3" shorter than your chest measurement.

Directions

1. Fold both piece 2s in half lengthwise and sew along the edge, then turn right sides out. Hem raw ends.

2. Sew each piece 3 to a piece 4 on two edges, right sides together, with a piece two trapped in between. Turn the right way out, turn in the raw edges and hem.

3. Hem the bottom of piece 1, and turn over the top to make a hollow channel, about 1" wide.

4. Topstitch the two triangular pieces to the back of piece 1 with an overlap of about 4", just below the hollow channel.

5. Fold the garment in half, right sides together, and sew the edges up until just below the channel.

6. Thread the elastic through the channel, then sew the ends together so it forms a loop. Turn under the raw edges of the channel and hand-sew them together.
7. Sew the shoulder straps to the back of the shirt. The easiest way to do this is to try the top on inside out and pin them in the most comfortable place, then topstitch them there.
8. Cut 8 1" pieces of ribbon and cover the ends in clear nail varnish to prevent fraying. Fold each in half and sew to the back straps at regular intervals.

9. Thread ribbon through loops in a criss-cross pattern and tie in a bow (see photo).
10. Cut a short piece of ribbon, fold into thirds and gather the centre to make a bow. Where the two triangular pieces meet, sew the bow.

If you are larger of bust, you may wish to add darts. Or you could just use a proper busty pattern piece for that section.

You can use this tutorial for anything you like, modify it any way you see fit and sell things made from it. Just don't pretend you wrote it!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007 03:43:18 PM by teraspawn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007 04:47:36 PM »

:)Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007 08:23:24 PM »

I love it! Thanx for the tut, I will be definately making this top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onechancefancy
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007 09:26:24 PM »

Great stuff and thanks for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teraspawn
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007 12:10:00 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilylola
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007 02:49:48 AM »

Being the proud owner of this top I'd just like to say it fits really well

and after Teraspawn sent me this one in the Pirates of the Caribbean swap I'll very likely make another for when I don't feel like a pirate rampage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did but backwards and in high heels

MY wist
MY ETSY
folksy shop
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007 04:15:12 AM »

This really is an adorable top..... too bad I'm a bit too "blessed" to wear something that requires you not to wear a bra.... or should I say, a something that requires you to wear no bra that does not give you something in place of a bra to hoist the girls up!

It is very pretty, though, and definetly looks better on a person than a pillow.... unfortunately for pillows, they just aren't as sexy as a person, haha....

This does give me good ideas for some of my own projects, though... Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teraspawn
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007 05:14:45 AM »

Thanks lilylola!

This really is an adorable top..... too bad I'm a bit too "blessed" to wear something that requires you not to wear a bra.... or should I say, a something that requires you to wear no bra that does not give you something in place of a bra to hoist the girls up!

I think if I were to wear something like this myself I'd have to wear one of those godawful stick-on bras to avoid some sort of unpleasant public indecency.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CLAP 2 SEPTEMBRE
CLAP 2 SEPTEMBRE
German Shepherd/Chow Chow Filmed in High Definition
How to Make a Smooth Rock Music Video
How to Make a Stop-Motion Animation Brick Film
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...