A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Want to make a Christmas tree!  (Read 6240 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftobsessed
« on: November 15, 2004 01:15:30 PM »

Any thoughts on how to do this? I was thinking of wire and pink plastic garland. Any ideas on what kind of wire or some other cute way to do this?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004 01:28:43 PM »

I found directions once where you took several wire hangers, arranged them hook side in so they formed a triangular shape and wired them together.  Then you wrapped them liberally with garland and lights.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
Heatherb
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004 06:11:24 PM »

I think this is what you mean - Have Fun!

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/christmas/coat-hanger-christmas-tree.shtml

Heather
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004 12:21:13 PM »

Yep, that's it! Of course, you are limited to the size of the wire hangers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
TPK
Crafty Pirate Wench

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004 02:57:17 PM »

Think it might be possible to put a second tier under the first one, wired to the frame above?  I haven't done this, so merely speculating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geekin' out at the Cosmic Fun Palace
munster2004
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004 04:52:20 PM »

I have a great idea! You could also use a tomato cage, it's a lot quicker and looks a lot nicer! Just connect the pointed ends to a point and rap the cage and cover in lights! Walla you have a tree!!! Cheesy
Luke
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redthewitch75
You are Here.

"If love is a labour, I'll slave til the end!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004 10:30:12 PM »

I just made a tree. I will have to post the pic when I get a chance! What I did was I got some silver/tinsel pipe cleaners, a wooden dowel(not too thickl, but not the thinnest ones) and a terra cotta pot. I drilled alternating holes all along the dowel. I turned the pot upside down (the dowel should fit near as snug through the hole in the bottom of the pot) and stuck the dowel through the hole and applied a fair amount of hot glue around the part where the dowel and the hole meet. Once that was set, I applied a more liberal amount of the hot glue on the inside of the pot around the dowel. Then I stuck the pipe cleaners into the holes (the holes should be just big enough to be able to insert the cleaners securely) and secured them with a dab of the hot glue. Then I began wrapping the dowel with the cleaners, to completely cover the wood, gluing each end of the cleaner in place on the dowel. My inspiration was those old, old tinsel Christmas trees. Not the aluminum trees from the 40s. Not exactly the same, and the cleaner wires are not strong enough to support small ornaments, but it is still a cute and funky little sparkly tree, and I plan on making some small paper snowflakes to adorn the tree with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love you more than cheese!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10173989@N00/
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004 06:31:52 AM »

One year, my family was pretty disorganized (even more so than usual) and didn't have time to go get a tree. Besides, we were going away for much of the Christmas break, and a real tree would have shed all of its needles by time we'd gotten back. So, my ever-resourceful mother took our acorn stove (which we no longer use), wrapped some crinolines and spare tulle around the stovepipe so that the whole thing was tree-shaped, then draped the entire contraption in white cheesecloth (my sister had miles of the stuff for some reason that I can't recall). Then she decorated the white 'tree' with lights, and hung some ornaments off it --- the cheesecloth has a loose enough weave that she could poke those little wire ornament hangers right through it. The whole effect was hilarious, but actually quite pretty. The lights make the soft cloth glow very nicely! And hey, for once the stove and the tree didn't have to compete for pride of place in our living room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004 12:00:23 AM »

wrapped some crinolines and spare tulle around the stovepipe so that the whole thing was tree-shaped
You have spare tulle? Lucky, lucky you.

Anyway, I saw this either here, or in a book. I can't remeber which...
Find a medium-ish sized branch, and make sure it doesn't have any leaves. If you want to, you can spraypaint it. Silver looks coolest, but any colour is fine.  Fill an icecream container, or larger container if you need to, with concrete. While it is still wet, stick the bottom of the branch into the concrete. You may need something to rest the branch against something. When the concrete is dry, push the bottom of the container inwards so that the concrete comes out, or leave it in if you like it like that. You can then decorate it accordingly, i've heard they look especially nice covered in fairy lights.
Ive explained this really badly, so ask me if you would like to know anything.
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004 06:56:56 AM »

I saw instructions for a tree using a wire tomato plant cage. Turn it upside down, put on a little string of lights and wrap that tinsel garland around it.  It looked so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How Jimmy Gownley Draws Amelia
How to Draw a Sabertooth Tiger
How to Draw a Dodo Bird
March 18th: The Art of the Steal
Billy Connolly Talks About His First Art Collection, Born on a Rainy Day
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...