A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrifted clothes + Elna = 2 more cute new bags  (Read 2759 times)
Tags for this thread: tote , paisley  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gwensmom
« on: May 28, 2007 01:08:28 PM »

After three weeks of furious sewing the bags for Gwen's teachers are done and ready to give tomorrow, the last day of school!  I really love the way they turned out and how they look so different even though they're made from the same pattern.

Each teacher told me her favorite colors so I knew what fabrics to use.  The first bag is posted here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170785.msg1748544#msg1748544.  And here are the next two.

Teacher #2 likes green and blue.  Those are my favorites too.  Isn't this paisley print just fabulous?  The lining is made from the blue linen shorts with pockets fashioned from existing shorts pockets.

The last teacher said "black" and I knew what to do for her immediately.  But when I got home there were no solid black garments to be found in my thrift store stash.  The very next day there was a nice black linen skirt waiting for me in the thrift store and it was on super sale for 10 cents.  The lining of this bag is done in leopard print with pockets from the skirt scraps.  This style really suits this lady and hopefully she will like it as much as I think she will.

Here is a group shot of all three.  Which one is more your stlye?

*** ETA: here is how to make a bag like this:

For bag assembly, use this tutorial:  http://www.supereggplant.com/archives/000216.html.  It's almost exactly like the Jordy bag but the bottom corners are done slightly differently.

The pattern is a trapezoid shape 15" high with a 14" top and a 16" bottom.  This includes a 1/2" seam allowance.  (The bag doesn't really turn out in a trapezoid shape so if you want that look, make the top shorter or the bottom longer or both.)  If you are doing patchwork like on the black bag, sew your fabrics together first.  Then cut 2 trapezoids for the outside of the bag and two for the lining.  I fuse heavyweight interfacing to the front and back of the bag to make it stiffer.

For straps that end up about 3/4" wide , cut four strips of fabric 1.5" x 26".  If you need stiff straps, fuse interfacing to one strip of each set.  If you fuse both, you will have a hard time turning them.  Lay two strips right sides together and sew down each 26" side using a 1/4" or less seam allowance.  Turn right side out.

On step three in the tutorial where she makes the corners, I measured in 2" from the point and sewed a three inch seam for a three inch bag bottom.  Cut a piece of plastic canvas to fit the bag bottom and insert it right before you sew the lining closed.

Et voila!  You have done it.  Now go post it so we can see.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007 08:25:20 PM by gwensmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

_Suicidal_Angel_
people love me do you?

I am eternally a slytherin....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007 01:34:20 PM »

i love the black one
really cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kedrock
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007 01:53:10 PM »

Beautiful job.  I love the paisley one especially.  I bet they will love the time and thought you put into their gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baby-bumblebee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007 01:53:25 PM »

OMG! I love all three! Your dd's teachers will be blown away.

I know you said in the other post that your dd is going to a special needs class, something I am having my dd do is color, draw, and maybe even write to her teacher. My cousin is a special needs teacher (mostly kids with autism) she has pictures and even a few letters from a few of her students ,she has them all in a book that shows how far along these students have come in just a few years. She loves loves loves getting letters from her little pen pals.

Just want to let you know they will love their bags!!! Also that they would also maybe like to keep in touch with your little one becasue I know they have to be close to her after 4 yrs! Smiley

Amy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my very first blog!

http://sassy-pixie.blogspot.com/
baby-bumblebee
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007 01:54:14 PM »

P.S Did you use a pattern? If so what one did you use or are you just gifted like that.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my very first blog!

http://sassy-pixie.blogspot.com/
onechancefancy
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007 03:10:56 PM »

Your bags are really cute. I like the blue paisley one best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftMomNancy
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007 05:19:50 PM »

you did a amazing job on these bags. The teachers wil love them. I think the pink is my favorite. Smiley
Nancy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gwensmom
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007 08:27:44 PM »

Thanks for all your nice comments!   I'm glad y'all think the teachers will like these bags.  Instructions about how to draw this pattern and a link to a tutorial for assembly have been added to the original post.

Gwen can't really write or draw but she is only moving to a class next door so she can still see two of her old teachers.  The third one is retiring but we will definitely keep in touch with her because Gwen is especially crazy about her.   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007 08:29:46 PM by gwensmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

biteswhenprovoked
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007 09:26:09 PM »

those are so cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angeltreats
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007 10:31:59 AM »

They are all lovely but the black/leopard one is my favourite.  What a lovely thought, the teachers will love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips For Shopping Like a Pro
Johnny Wujek Shares His Prom Style Tips
Worst Dressed at 2014 Golden Globes
Best Dressed at 2014 Golden Globes
How to Rock a Perfect Stylish Workday Outfit
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...