A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bird silhouettes on the wall  (Read 34783 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« on: May 28, 2007 09:10:46 AM »

I've been really wanting these Blik wall decals for a while now.  however, my budget doesn't allow for them so I set off to make my own.  I used a bird silhouette stencil from the stencilry site (which looks suspiciously just like the Blik decals now that I take a second look...) and printed it out, traced and cut out some scrap fabric, and attached it to the wall using spray starch*.  I'm very happy with the result, although I think I might end up tweeking the positions a bit.

*to attach fabric to the walls using starch, all you need is to saturate the fabric with starch (either liquid or spray) and smooth onto the wall.  it peels off the wall easily when you're done (great for renters!).  any residue on the walls can be easily wiped off with a damp sponge and the fabric can be rinsed out and used again for something else.  it can also be used on many finished wood surfaces and laminate, though I'd recommend trying a test patch to test for residue on very matte walls/surfaces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mgodby86
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007 09:57:10 AM »

they look great!! i love all the little wall decals that are out on the market these days..but my are they expensive. thanks for the tip about using starch to attach fabric. i'm a renter and probably will be for a while, so i will definitely try something like this! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007 10:56:53 AM »

That is so awesome! I love the Blik decals too, but they are so expensive! This is a really cool way to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007 08:33:21 PM »

Lovvve 'em!  Yours turned out great!

They're definitely the focal point of a room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007 08:43:05 PM »

That's a terrific alternative to Blik wall decals!  I'm adding this to my list of things to try Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
bubbanizzlemomma

Beware the smiling Zillameister

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007 10:18:59 PM »

AWESOME!!!  ANd many thank yous!!!  My stepdaughter has been wanting to do things to her walls that I know she'll outgrow within weeeks/months.  Now I know how to do them without the permanence.

And BTW....the birds look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007 01:03:18 PM »

Ok, You=My hero!

I wanted the exact same stencils from Blik too, but, much like you, paying my rent has to come first, and so buying kick butt bird decals that are the same price as a little over a weeks worth of groceries was not in the budget....

I knew that there had to be some solution to making your own, but I hadn't gotten around to finding one yet, and then POOF! I saw this post!

Also, you are further my hero b/c I did not know about stencilry before, and I searched and searched for particular stencils (particularly birds, which I am very fond of) and I just kept getting cheesy, grandma's kitchen variety... so, now I have some of the exact designs I was looking for but could not find! Hooray!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007 01:37:08 PM »

Great job Kategirl!!! I have been wanting Blik decals for a while!!

I know this is a dumb question but where do you find starch? Is it sold in regular stores? I've never used it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007 03:05:07 PM »

I know this is a dumb question but where do you find starch? Is it sold in regular stores? I've never used it. Smiley

not a dumb question!  you can find starch in normal stores right near the laundry stuff (since starch is meant for use with ironing...  a starched shirt, you know?).  I got mine at kroger, a grocery store chain.  they had one type of liquid starch and a couple different types of spray starch (the liquid starch was $3 and the spray was $1.50 on sale for $1).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello color!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007 12:17:14 AM »

Omigosh I totally didn't know starch will stick things to walls! That's so neat! You can also get spray starch at the dollar store. (Ask them if they have it if you're not seeing it, because they most likely do.)

Btw, those particular decals are available in re-stick, so you can reapply those. Cost a bit more than the regular ones. I have the hibiscus flowers and banana leaves ones in re-stick, and I haven't reapplied them yet (just moved a few days ago), but I don't think they'll survive too many moves. Just FYI. Also, since they don't make your order until after you buy, you'll have to wait 'bout a month after you order, which so totally sucks. But I *love* the glossy sticker look, and I haven't found a place where you can buy big sheets of sticker paper...

And, yeah they do look suspiciously alike! Stencilry isn't making any money off your use of the stencil, and Blik is losing money (opportunity cost) from you making your own stencil of their most popular design, so what gives?

P.S. It would be a good idea to make them in different sizes so it's not so monotonous. Vectorize them and do as you please...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 12:18:45 AM by hello summer! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Essentials For Women In Their 20s, 30s, And 40s!
How To Fix Broken Powder Makeup
Sneak Peek: March 2014 NewBeauty TestTube
How to Apply Blue-Green Eye Makeup Inspired by Kelly Osbourne
Three Beauty Mistakes That Make You Look Tired
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...