A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: short row help  (Read 384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigerita
« on: May 28, 2007 02:07:37 AM »

i'm working on my first top of my own design, and i'd like to use short rows for bust shaping, but i've only ever used them on symmetrical pieces, and i'm not sure if they would work on something like what i'm trying to do:

i've knit the bottom part separately, and i want to do the top part as a top-down raglan in one piece, then fold the two front pieces over when i sew it to the bottom.  is it possible to do short rows where i have the pink?  or do they have to be done on a symmetrical piece where the whole piece is taken up by the short row section?

thanks Smiley  and sorry for the terrible paint drawing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007 03:01:00 AM »

if you have access to the SnB knitting books, there's a jacket called prepster - and the front shaping is done in short rows - and it's from the side seams (so that pink line would be horizontal, rather than vertical like you have it)

you may want to check some other patterns as well, see how the short shaping seems to work out? (i'm a good technician, give me a pattern and I can follow it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
tigerita
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007 06:47:00 AM »

Thanks Dulcinea!  I had a look at that jacket, but it's crochet and i'm not sure if it would be the same for knitting...

I haven't found any patterns that use short rows on an asymmetrical shape before, and the impression that i have is that it takes up most of the piece of knitting, you can't just knit half of it normally and do short rows on the other half.   i could be totally wrong about this though, as i've only ever made one thing involving short rows, so i was hoping that someone who knows more about them than i do could either confirm or deny this...

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyflower
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007 10:18:31 AM »

if you weren't wanting to do top down, but instead do the top bit side to side, i would've thought that http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTw.html would be adaptable to your needs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007 11:30:54 AM »

Pretty much, wherever you want the shaping, you can do short rows -

what happens is this....  you're knitting along - and you have a portion of your knitting that needs to have more shape - some extra knitting there, where you don't need it in other places (like the bust of your top) - so that portion that needs extra shaping, you do some extra knitting there....

and you can go back and forth using the wrap and turn (I think that's what W&T stands for) method - it prevents the little gaps that you might otherwise have.....

my bet says you can look up W&T on google, though there's a pretty good explanation in the SnB book, as well as here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/
(scroll down almost to the bottom of the page)

HTH

Thanks Dulcinea!  I had a look at that jacket, but it's crochet and i'm not sure if it would be the same for knitting...

I haven't found any patterns that use short rows on an asymmetrical shape before, and the impression that i have is that it takes up most of the piece of knitting, you can't just knit half of it normally and do short rows on the other half.   i could be totally wrong about this though, as i've only ever made one thing involving short rows, so i was hoping that someone who knows more about them than i do could either confirm or deny this...

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
tigerita
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007 01:29:50 AM »

thanks!  i'm still not 100% clear on it, but i think the only way for me to get my head around it is to just do it and see how it turns out... i think i get it *enough* that i should be able to figure it out by playing around... thanks for the advice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About M.I.C.E.
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About the Art of Elicitation
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About the Sparrow School
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About Surveillance
Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews Talks About Enemies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...