A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Midnight at the Chocolate Factory - A formal! (LOTS of pictures!)  (Read 15332 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slymaria
« on: May 28, 2007 01:19:41 AM »

So I just spent the last month or so crafting for the York University Faculty of Education Year-End Formal! I was the Social Director, so it was my partner's and my job to put it all together! I guess it's like a prom but for the (soon-to-be) teachers!
I chose Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a theme, but to class it up a bit we called it "Midnight at the Chocolate Factory"! It turned out really great and I'm proud of it, so I thought I would share!

The centrepieces:
Someone on the council had the great idea to make each centrepiece correspond to a particular character in the story. Here's what I came up with:

Table 1 - Violet Beauregarde

Miss Violet's piece was made with a light fixture glass sphere from Value Village ($1), covered in blue with the old grade 2 crafting technique of mod podge and tissue paper. The face was cut out in pieces of tissue paper and glued on. I then used a blue votive hollder that I had at home, put some blueberry runts in and e6000ed the sphere on. Inside (I forgot to take a pic, argh) Was a bubble gum pink votive candle surrounded by actual pink bubble gum.
As you can see, we used nerds, gobstoppers, and runts (as well as sparkles) as table confetti on all the tables. That was a big hit, most of it was eaten by the end of the night!

Table 2 - Charlie Bucket

I went with old-school Charlie for this one (some were inspired by the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory and some by the Burton version - both equally awesome in my opinion) It was made up of a champagne flute that had little bubbles in the actual glass (not sure if you can see that here though) and a bowl with clear marbles and floating candles glued on top. hanging from the bottom of the bowl on fishing line is a floating shrinky-dink Charlie. the 3 marbles in there WERE hanging with him, but I guess they were a bit too heavy.
In the first pic, you can see the table number card. I made one of these for each table as well, with the number and a stencil image of the character/thing that the table is themed (that was barely a sentence) and on the back of these cards is the title of the theme and the lyrics to a song from one movie or the other which corresponds to it too, in case people haven't seen the movies or read the book, they can get some vague idea of what's going on there Smiley

Table 3 - Veruca Salt

"Veruca Salt, the little brute, has just gone down the garbage chute."
A floating-candle holder with "garbage" at the bottom - ribbon, bits of fabric, and a shrinky-dink fish skeleton, tin can, banana peel, and upside-down Veruca. Here are some details of the garbage and the fish bow. I also used etching cream to put on those swirls so it would look a little more like the garbage chute in the Burton movie cuz I'm neurotic like that:

Table 4 - Mike Teavee

2 glass cube things stacked on top of one those led ornament base things, and a clear cube vase with a tv screen and wee little Mike etched on. Black cube candle inside.

Table 5 - The Pink Sugar Boat

Entirely from the Burton version - but the song on the card was entirely from the original crazy acid-trip boat ride (even better when sampled in Pendulum's "Through the Loop"!) Made of model magic cuz I was too lazy to paint, and then placed on a brown fabric "chocolate river' Then filled with gobstoppers cuz it makes it THAT much better!

Table 6 - Augustus Gloop

Glass sphere bowl, mod-podged on some red stripes. Floating candles in instant hot chocolate mix, and a polymer clay Augustus hand reching out! I absolutley love this one because of that little hand. It was my VERY FIRST polymer clay creation, even though I have literally had Fimo sitting in my house for about 8 years now, I've always been too afraid to bake it cuz I was sure I'd screw it up. It's pretty much my new favourite thing ever. More shots of the hand:

Table 7 - The Oompa Loompas

I originally wanted to etch the oompa loompas on the little glass candles, but it just didn't look good enough th be worth the work. Plus when they were etched on they looked like little nazis for some reason. So i mod-podged! The base is a glass rectangular vase turned on its side, with a light-up led wand and tissue paper inside.

Table 8 - Willy Wonka

(Don't tell the others - this is kind of my favourite!) Mr. Wonka's hat is made of a glass vase e6000ed (actually pretty much EVERY centrepiece is e6000ed in one way or another - I LOVE this stuff) to a glass plate, tissue papered and mod podged to all its purple glory. Then filled with runts and a purple pillar candle with swirls cut out of it that glow as the candle burns (see next table for better pic of the candle) The hat-belt or what have you is brown fabric and a polymer clay (piece #2!) W

Table 9 - The Great Glass Wonkavator

Because I couldn't find a good enough rectangular vase, this is 4 5X7 and 1 5X5 picture frames glued together. The buttons are clear stickers and the backing they came on glued on (e6000 of course!) Those are silver ribbons on the side btw, not tape. The base is a upside-down sphere candle holder dealie on top of another led ornament base. The Candle, like table 8, looked awesome at night:

Table 10 - The Wonka Puppets

By special order of my friend, our table was of the melting puppets (in the Burton version) I used a glass vase that holds a tealight on top and opens from the bottom to fill it with pretty things like pot pourri and flower petals. I filled it with butchered and charred baby doll parts and fake tealights so it actually looked like it was on fire from the inside. Then I dripped red candle wax along the top. Did I mention the last big event I planed was a Halloween party and Haunted House? Smiley To make a bit less "gothic" as my mom said, I printed out the scene from the movie of the puppets on stage and glued it around the base of the vase.

Table 11 - The Golden Tickets

Not gunna lie, this one was last minute as people bought tickets last minute and we needed another table. It actually looked really nice though cuz this candle was insanely bright. It was already in my house, and I printed out some golden tickets and stuck em on. Done and done!

Speaking of golden tickets -

The Raffle

We had a raffle for some prizes, so we kept the theme going and did some "Golden tickets" I wrapped the raffle tickets and 5 raffle ticket sized golden tickets in "Wonka bar" wrappers. We gave each guest one as they came in, and then we all opened them together. 5 people won the biggest prizes, and others were raffled throughout the night for other prizes. It was fun!

The Factory

So there was another table that was SUPPOSED to have a drink fountain (which was dead once I set it up, grrrr!) and it was supposed to look like the inside of the Chocolate factory. This kind of fell by the wayside though, but whatever, it still looked good. *shrug* I had some grass, wire trees, lollipop flowers, a crappy punch bowl that is NOT a fountain, a mist bowl for no reason and a cut-out of Mr. Wonka!

Here it is at night:

And no crafting on my part here but I need to mention that OF COURSE we had a chocolate fountain! :

Also (you can see it in some of the pics) each person received a Wonka bar as a favour!
Hope you enjoyed the huge amount of pictures and thank you Craftster for all the lovely ideas my head has collected from you over the years that have come together to create all this stuff!

*edit* - Yay, I've been published! http://www.craftycrafty.tv/2007/05/party_theme_the_chocolate_fact.html
Thanks, randomsynapses at craftgrrl!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007 09:01:06 PM by sylvieonabun » THIS ROCKS   Logged
clovergrace
The Positive Pessimest

Sometimes when you fall, you fly.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007 01:32:05 AM »

As a side note, oompa loompas freak me out....

This had to have been THE coolest function I've ever seen! ESPECIALLY for a formal! I can't believe all that work you put into it! I am so impressed! It makes me want to see the Burton version!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slymaria
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007 01:51:36 AM »

Hahaha well I can't promise the Oompa Loompas in the new version are any less creepy, but you should DEFINITELY watch it!

And thank you! The work was worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007 03:13:32 AM »

you are my hero this is amazing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007 03:22:53 AM »

Oh my god! This is glorious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
dmcay
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007 03:27:38 AM »

Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow!!!! Shocked

This has got to be the most awesome ever!!
I really really love ALL of them especially the Augustus Gloop one!

Great job!!! Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleCat
Cats with headphones... be afraid. Be very afraid.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007 05:44:39 AM »

OMG, that is awesome!

Definitely give yourself a big pat on the back for pulling that off!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Berries and cream! Berries and cream!
mezofoprezo

paint MY name on the bathroom stalls.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007 06:51:09 AM »

Wow... just wow. I loved reading this long post, and loved all of the different ideas. Wow! I want to go to that party.. :/

Hehe Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not as easy as it was
or as difficult as it could be
for the Samurai in autumn

My blog!
http://mezofoprezo.blogspot.com
marleah
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007 07:03:47 AM »

Ok, it's been FOREVER since I have posted on Craftster ... but OH MY GOD! This is simply amazing. You did a fabulous job, and all of your centerpieces and decorations kept with the theme in an AMAZING way! Congratulations on pulling that off, it totally looks professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frix220

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007 07:31:14 AM »

This is AMAZING!! How creative! I wouldn't have thought of half those things. They're lucky to have such an awesome Social Director.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turf Author Jonathan Ross Interview
Jonathan Ross on Golden Age
Profile of an Artist: Ingrid Dabringer
Supervillain Origins: Kraven the Hunter
How to Draw Mello
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...