A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I have a manly job swap.  (Read 1233 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

winter83
« on: May 27, 2007 02:31:41 PM »

I thought of this idea while I was at work. I work as a welder.  I was wondering if there are any other craft women on here that have a manly job and work mainly with men. I am one of the only 2 girls that work where I work and sometimes it gets a little lonely. So I was thinking about as swap for other women in this situation.

Things that could be made I was thinking could be girl looking tool belts, costumed painted tool set, work gloves made girly things like that. I know I would like a girly welding hat that doesn't look stupid.

Another reason I thought of this was because it is so hard for me to find things for me to do my job right all the clothing have to wear is to big or doesn't fit right and I am tired of it. I can never get gloves that fit right because they are all to big!

Any other ladies out game for this??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aspenwall
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007 02:41:21 PM »

I think there are good ways we could use that besides just a career focused thing...like girly gardening tools, girly toolbelts, girly headlamps!!
I worked at UPS for 5 years and had my own tape gun with rinestones on it and I had a nice box cutter on a beaded necklace.  I think any woman would enjoy having a sturdy toolbox that wasn't grey and yellow or black and red....
what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

winter83
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007 04:54:37 PM »

thats a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aspenwall
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007 03:48:46 PM »

hopefully some other people will agree....
and we can get dis party (i mean swap) started!
 Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhinestonextract

i just met a girl from the future

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007 03:30:16 PM »

i'm a student, and i spend a lot of time in the foundry with all the guys casting 8 ft tall bronze scuptures - i do small/light metals but i'd still be interested in this swap.  the tool belt is what caught my attention lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aspenwall
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007 09:40:56 AM »

I just started gardening (like, for the first time in my whole life) and I can think of a lot of tools I'll need...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007 12:58:13 PM »

My job is kind of gender-neutral. But I have a "manly" hobby: I sail.

And I do most of the "manly" repair jobs at home. (DH cooks, though. Good trade!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
psmommy
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007 01:46:21 PM »

Ha Ha!  This is great!  I'm a Purchase Requisitioner/ Parts Supervisor for the Maintenance department in a platic packaging company. And the only woman in the Maintenance dept!

I unfortunately wouldn't be able to do another swap right now though.  As I am already in one and it's my first.

Great Idea though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aspenwall
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007 03:45:37 PM »

I think that's alright PSMommy, I'm not yet able to do a swap either but keep checking back, I have a feeling we might get it together to do this one day Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psmommy
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007 07:26:08 PM »

Sounds Good!!

I could use a personalized tape measure!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
winter83
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007 11:19:12 PM »

If more people are into it then i'll open in up for people to sign up. When would be a good time for everyone??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aspenwall
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007 08:37:36 AM »

I would have to wait until my 30 days are up.  I have not yet been a member for a month Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhinestonextract

i just met a girl from the future

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007 12:13:34 PM »

i'm in five swaps right now, so i need some time to free up some spots
THIS ROCKS   Logged

am0420
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007 10:13:07 PM »

I LOVE this idea! My husband taught me how to weld, and now I have my own welder. I'd love to have somethin girly in the garage!! I wouldn't be able to do it til mid summer though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit_core
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I put the RAGE in beverage.

Too lazy to be evil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007 10:55:11 PM »

I'm afraid I work at a Hallmark store, but I'm 6 foot and chunky, and thus get to do all the "manly" jobs.  I would love to be part of a girly tool swap!  I'd love my own blinged out box cutter, and all of my beads, right now, are organized in this awesome toolbox/thing that I bought at Home Depot.  I was mad that it was orange, and not something more neutral, like black.  It's be fun to get another one and pimp it out for someone else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."  Douglas Adams

Debbies only get respect in the knitting world.  How unfair is that?

Because Poe wrote on both of them.

Anyone up for a Jasper Fforde swap?
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007 04:51:40 PM »

I am a girl in the traditionally male-dominated profession of architecture. There is another girl architect in my office of 9, but I really feel it when I have to do site visits and I'm surrounded by construction guys. I really liked the idea of the blinged-out tape measure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007 05:12:21 PM »

this awesome toolbox/thing that I bought at Home Depot.  I was mad that it was orange, and not something more neutral, like black. 

Wait a minute. Orange isn't a neutral? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007 11:22:24 PM »

I think this is a great idea.  I work as a bartender, and as the only girl there, it's definitively testosterone overload!  A bottle opener that didn't just advertise Bud Light, a shaker that wasn't just generic silver, oh the list goes on!  Boys can be so boring sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Anais The Amazing World of Gumball
How to Draw an Orca Whale
How to Draw Amy Wong from Futurama
How to Edit CSS in the Properties Panel in Dreamweaver CS4
How to Use the Refine Edge Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS5
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...