A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,580
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oh, to be more artistic...  (Read 2826 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 15, 2004 08:47:15 AM »

So, I've been thinking for a while now about posting some of my art, but I'm not very artistic, really.  I look at some of the paintings and what not, and feel my preferred method of ink and colored pencils, and my style, aren't really worthy.  They're not deep and meaningful, they don't use impressive mediums or creative out-of-the-box thinking.  But then I thought, "Damn, though, they're fun to do, and surely there's room for frivolity amongst all these true artists..."  So, here are a few drawings, and I'd like you all to just think of them as the fluff of the Craftster art boards.

I haven't had a lot of time lately to do much art for myself, so many of these pictures are quite old.  I think the tree girl was done when I was 16, 11 years ago.  The newest is the dancer, and I think she's probably 7 years old.  Maybe I'll post some newer stuff soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
ifoughtpirahna
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004 08:50:26 AM »

Woot!  love uhm!   Do you use a blender pencil when you're coloring them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness,
starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the
negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix, angelheaded
hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the
starry dynamo in the machinery of night
xmelinda
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004 09:09:41 AM »

It depends on what you consider "art"!  I think your drawings are really neat, and much much better than anything I could do.  My "art" is about 99% found-object, you know?  I have no skills for drawing something from a blank slate.  You may think your drawings are not "arty" enough, but look at children's book illustrations.  When I was a kid, my very favorite illustrator was Trina Schart Hyman and your style kinda reminds me of that:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316367958/ref=sib_rdr_dp/002-0356897-2906463

Something to aspire to  Wink

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004 09:37:48 AM »

Why thank you, girls.  xMelinda, you are too kind. I have issues with background.  Figures I'm ok with, but you'll note that all of the above have white space except the one with all the hair...  I really should work on that.  I've thought of illustrating before, but the background issues don't really lend themselves well to that.

No, no blending pencil.  I use Prismacolors, but as I mentioned in the thread about Aquariann's artwork, mine still have the Berol name on the box.  (Berol used to make them.  I don't recall who does now.  Sanford?)  They make blending pencils for Prismacolors, but I'm not sure when they started, and I've never had one.  I just do the darker colors first and use the lighter colors to blend the darker colors.  I saw the blending pencils when I was at Michael's this weekend, and considered getting one and trying it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004 10:37:57 AM »

Yeah, that's what I meant by "something to aspire to"  Wink  I'm sure that, like everything, it's a matter of practicing.  Hyman's drawings are magically detailed and lush -- but I'm sure she started somewhere!

I love the Prismacolors... I still have a bunch that I stole, 1 or 2 at a time, from the art studio in my high school many years ago...Ssshhhhh, don't tell...

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
aquariann
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004 08:31:01 PM »

Aww, your drawings are so cute. I especially heart the tree nympth, her hair being branches is super neat. Your ferrets were also adorable. I know what you mean about your drawing, as I feel the same about mine...it's fun to do and I love it, but I feel a bit awkard around stuffy artists that are all elite about expression and ideas and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when my wings finally tatter and fall, drown me in the sea.
but for now, float with me at aquariann.com

*find my fantasy art on magnets, bookmarks, cards, and more at my Etsy shop*
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004 07:42:32 AM »

Thank you, Aquariann.  I've always been rather fond of the tree nymph myself.  That's why she's here, even though I drew her 11 years ago.  Smiley 

I think I'm pretty ok with my place in the art world.  I decided long ago that not everything must have meaning.  Some things have all the meaning they need if they make a person smile.  They can be beautiful or sweet, whatever.  If they cause joy, then they don't need anything deeper.  Superficial needn't always be a bad word.  It's just difficult sometimes to put such works on display for others, whos' art DOES have deeper meaning, as is quite evident from some of the posts on this forum, because the tendency to judge others' work by one's own standards is pretty high.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aquariann
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004 08:12:00 PM »

You're ver welcome, doll. 11 years ago, eh? Back then I think I was drawing stick figures with big heads and using fashion plates with stencils. I loved those things. I still have them somewhere.

Ah, bravo, you said that much better than I could. "If they cause joy, then they don't need anything deeper." Yesh, indeed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when my wings finally tatter and fall, drown me in the sea.
but for now, float with me at aquariann.com

*find my fantasy art on magnets, bookmarks, cards, and more at my Etsy shop*
QueenofSwords

marty marty bo barty, bo-nana fana fo...uh oh....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004 05:17:46 PM »

OK, this might sound a little goofy, but....

There's art that "says" something, that has an intended semiotic meaning of some kind, and then there's art that says something both personal and true about the artist.  I think it's a lot harder to reveal yourself honestly than it is to give an intellectualized opinion about something; it takes more courage to risk personal exposure than to play with impersonal ideas.

It does take talent and work to do either one well and skillfully, and I respect that.  I find, though, that the older I get, the more bored I am with someone else's "statement" and the more interested I am with people expressing their truths.  When it comes down to it, it's the only way we can communicate to each other the unique landscapes inside each of our heads; given how hard it is for people to really touch each other, and how alone each of us really is, there isn't anything more profound than that.

Marty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yo, ye pharaohs! Let us walk through this barren desert, in search of truth, and some pointy boots, and maybe a few snack crackers.
Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004 06:04:18 PM »

Those are really really nice, very creative. Smiley Awesome work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design Anime Bodies
How to Illustrate Anime Mouths
How to Design Anime Animals
How to Illustrate Anime Clothes
How to Design Tall Anime Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...