A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I have an FO: My own tank top/camisole!  (Read 3311 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knottymama

not so knotty anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007 07:50:46 PM »

Absolutely beautiful.  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soulful hues knits and knacks, hand dyed recycled yarn and fun vintage finds!http://www.soulfulhues.etsy.com

my blog: http://soulfulhuesknits.blogspot.com/
Phisch
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007 08:53:07 PM »

*scratches head and wonders what the difference between tank top and cami is*

This took forever! But it's finally done and comments/suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: Happy Girl mentioned a pattern...I didn't take very good notes, but I tried to make a pattern, such as it is. Here goes:

Gauge: 23 st and 28 rows to 4″ with #5 needles knit in the round
Yarn: 100% bamboo yarn (purchased from Discontinued Yarns) in the color purple

Other hardware: stitch markers (one different color to help you remember which one indicates the start of the round), and stitch holders or scrap yarn

Final measurements (measured when laying flat): bust 16 1/2″, length 22″, hips 19″, waist 15 1/2″

Lace pattern from Interweave Knits Lace Nightie (free pattern, Spring 07 issue):
Feather Border: (multiple of 12 sts)
Rnd 1: *Yo, ssk (see page 2), k7, k2tog, yo, k1; rep from * to end.
Even-numbered Rnds 28: Knit.
Rnd 3: *Yo, k1, ssk, k5, k2tog, k1, yo, k1; rep from * to end.
Rnd 5: *Yo, k2, ssk, k3, k2tog, k2, yo, k1; rep from * to end.
Rnd 7: *Yo, k3, ssk, k1, k2tog, k3, yo, k1; rep from * to end.
Rnd 9: *Yo, k4, sl 1 kwise, k2tog, psso, k4, yo, k1; rep from * to end.
Rnd 10: Knit.
Rep Rnds 110 for patt.
Feather Panel: (multiple of 12 sts + 5)
Note: The decs at each end of this patt deliberately slant in the same direction
(k2tog), instead of slanting in opposite directions, like mirrored decs.
Row/Rnd 1: (RS when working back and forth in rows) K2tog, yo, k1, [yo, ssk, k7,
k2tog, yo, k1] 3 times, yo, k2tog.
Even-numbered Rows/Rnds 28: (WS when working back and forth in rows) Work
even in St st (knit on RS; purl on WS).
Row/Rnd 3: K2tog, yo, k1, [yo, k1, ssk, k5, k2tog, k1, yo, k1] 3 times, yo, k2tog.
Row/Rnd 5: K2tog, yo, k1, [yo, k2, ssk, k3, k2tog, k2, yo, k1] 3 times, yo, k2tog.
Row/Rnd 7: K2tog, yo, k1, [yo, k3, ssk, k1, k2tog, k3, yo, k1] 3 times, yo, k2tog.
Row/Rnd 9: K2tog, yo, k1, [yo, k4, sl 1 kwise, k2tog, psso, k4, yo, k1] 3 times, yo,
k2tog.
Row/Rnd 10: Work even in St st.
Rep Rows/Rnds 110 for patt.

NOTE about the lace: when I did the YOs, instead of scooping them like normal, I put the yarn on the needle in the opposite direction. When you do it this way, you are basically twisting the YOs when you knit over them in the following round. That makes the holes they make a lot smaller, eliminating the need for a camisole under the camisole for folks like me who like to show less skin.

How I did it:

CO 216 st (for 18 repeats of the lace pattern above). Place marker, join in the round, being careful not to twist. Place marker after stitch number 108 to divide in half (basically marks your right and left side) K for 3 rows.

Row 4: YO, k2tog for one round.

K for 3 row. Fold the fabric at the row with the YOs to create the picots. As you knit the next row, pick up and knit every other stitch of the cast on row along with the row you are knitting. So you k a st, then k a st plus a loop from the CO. Best to pull the inside half of the CO stitch and knit that.

Begin lace pattern above and knit lace in the round for 3 repeats.

This is where the Ive never written a pattern before comes in so please be forgiving.

You will knit stockinette over 3 repeats of your lace, then begin lace as shown above working back and forth, three repeats. Then k in stockinette over 6 repeats of lace already finished, knit 3 lace panels worked back and forth as above, then knit in stockinette until you get to the marker that indicates the beginning of the round. You will make five rows worth of lace and stockinette for the bodice.

AT THE SAME TIME, after you make your first completed set of lace, you will begin decreases. Decrease 2 st every 4 rows. You will to a SSK just before the marker, k1, slip marker, k2tog. You will do 5 decreases. Knit in pattern as indicated above for 6 rows then begin increases. Increase every 6 rows 4 times. You will do a right slanting invisible increase, slip marker, k1 left slanting invisible increase. (NOTE: If I were to do this again, Id leave off the increases to make it tighter at the top of the rib cage and more flattering).

When the 5 lace panel repeats are done, you k stockinette for 5 rounds. The following round, you do YO, k2tog. K 3 rows stockinette. Then fold the fabric towards you so it bends at the YO row. Youll pick up and knit the row underneath similar to the way you did with the CO row. This *will* be a lot trickier! The hard part is figuring out which stitches to pick up and knit along with the one you are knitting. I messed up in a few places but no harm, no foul.

From this point on, youre basically knitting a tube. After 2 inches, you begin binding off for the arm holes. BO 3 st on either side of the markers then one st on either side for 6 rows so that they curve nicely. Youll decide where your front and back will be at this point and place a marker for the center front.

After all the stitches for the arms are bound off, you will bind off for the back. By now you will have to work back and forth, as opposed to in the round. Do this until the back is 3 . K 17, bind of all stitches until the last 17, k those. Turn the work, p 16, turn the work. Bring that one stitch over the next ones then k 16. Turn, p 15 st, turn the work, bring the one stitch over the adjacent one, k 15. K in stockinette until the strap is 5 long (or longer is you need it to be). Mirror this to make the other strap. Place the stitches on stitch holders.

For the front, you k in stockinette to the center marker. BO the st on either side of the marker. K back and forth in stockinette for 4 on both sides of the front. Youll make straps same as you did for the back. K in stockinette until the strap is 5 long. Graft/weave/kitchener st the front and back straps together. Do a single crochet around the arm holes. Do single crochet around the neck and keyhole, add single crochet chain on each side of the keyhole to make a bow.

Surely, there will be questions.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007 08:47:51 AM by Lothruin - Reason: Please do not quote pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ye ol' blog: http://www.inthatnumber.com
Also found lurking at: http://phisch.vox.com
neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007 12:28:52 AM »

That's very pretty, I love the picot detail! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frenchnewwave
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007 04:55:33 PM »

Very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixiepurls
Knitting, Spinning & Podcasting

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007 08:02:22 PM »

very nice drap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting Blog:          http://www.pixiepurls.com
Knitting Podcast:     http://podcast.pixiepurls.com
pandaseal
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007 10:17:11 AM »

I have a bit of a stupid question. How would one go about making this pattern bigger?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phisch
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007 01:40:23 PM »

Pandesal (your name makes me hungry)...I have no real idea. In the pattern where I got the lace from, the size jumps maybe 5 inches from the smallest to the next one up.

You probably could go up a needle size and then compare the gauge and see what happens. I did knit this very tightly. The recommended needle size for the yarn is 2 times bigger I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ye ol' blog: http://www.inthatnumber.com
Also found lurking at: http://phisch.vox.com
lisascenic
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007 06:22:43 PM »

Lovely!

I looked in a few places, and camisoles were originally worn with corsets, to keep the difficult to clean corsets from soiling.  They tend to be a bit more like lingerie, and were originally made of non-stretchy fabrics.

Tank tops are named after an archaic expression for swimming pools ("swimming tanks") because they resembled the old bathing suits of the day.  These are usually made of stretchy knits, and have a more gender-neutral styling.

But goodness knows, nobody mangles the English language like the fashion industry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007 03:29:01 PM »

It looks great.  I just call most everything that's sleeveless a tank top.  It seems like all the definitions are too confusing, just like capris vs pedal pushers vs cut offs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
pandaseal
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007 06:16:26 PM »

Pandesal (your name makes me hungry)...I have no real idea. In the pattern where I got the lace from, the size jumps maybe 5 inches from the smallest to the next one up.

You probably could go up a needle size and then compare the gauge and see what happens. I did knit this very tightly. The recommended needle size for the yarn is 2 times bigger I think.

Thank you, I'll try that. Can you you tell the name of the lace pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eliminate "Back Fat" With the Right Bra
How to Deal With Bra "Spillage"
Picking a Bra to Prevent Sagging
Fashion Social Media Recap: Kerry Washington at the CFDA Fashion Awards
High-Low Hems Are Perfect For Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...