A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crazy Quilt Cards (first paper project)  (Read 1317 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Laughing Cat
« on: August 27, 2007 02:00:20 PM »

Hey, all. I'd never scrapbooked or anything before, so when I was told that I would need to make almost a dozen cards for a group of first years I was mentoring at my college, I was stumped! However, after thinking about what I liked, I looked at the quilting machine for the quilt I'm making and had an idea!

The results (taken at one in the morning, so not of the best quality):

I loved quilting, so I made crazy quilt cards! Grin The cards were actually a lot easier than they appeared: I drew a pattern on an index card, laid it over eleven sheets of paper, and cut all of the layers at once with scissors. (I should have used a rotary cutter or something similar, as some pieces were off, so random patches of white show. Or at least made two stencils and cut in two batches.) After that, I glued them onto more index cards, then glued on lengths of ribbon, stitched through the card with embroidery thread (three strands), and stuck on brads for buttons. By then, it was getting really late, so instead of adding a border (to hide any bare patches around the edges of the card) and using a cream colored backing paper as I'd planned (it would have required more cutting), I just used sequins and brads from a nice sequin/brad pack and some ribbon that matched to make loops to hang them from the first years' bulletin boards before gluing an index card onto the back to hide the wrong side of the card.

Not as pretty, but simpler. I think that they liked them, and I greatly enjoyed making this. Smiley Maybe I'll try scrapbooking sometime. It was fun and relatively quick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007 02:31:09 PM »

hey, i love it!! i love crazy quilts because no two ever look the same and your cards are awesome. i love how you used the technique you use to cut the fabric to cut the paper...i NEVER though of that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poprock6903
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007 04:04:00 PM »

aww, I was a mentor last year, too. Have fun with it... mold those minds! Also, I have that paper stack, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007 08:35:26 AM »

Wow, that's awesome!  I know some people who would go bonkers over that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Does Gender Play Into The Politics Of Style?
The Zoe Report: Caftans
MMVA 2014: Most Memorable Red Carpet Looks
AOL Experts: Molly Sims Coredrobe
How a Teen Vogue Assistant Dresses for Work
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...