A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,390
Currently Running With Scissors:
779 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: clay and bookmaking  (Read 453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mgodby86
« on: May 25, 2007 07:13:44 PM »

hi everyone!

i was wondering if any of you could help me generate ideas. i have been dabbling in polymer clay over the past few weeks, and i really enjoy it. however, i started paging through some of my old book/journal making books and was inspired to try my hand at that again.

i need some ideas to incorporate clay things into the book. i'd be really interested to see some pictures if any of you have tried this. also, how realistic would it be to try and make book covers out of clay?

thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007 07:42:01 PM »

Actual book covers? Huh

I'm not too sure about that, but you could definitely make decorations out of clay and then glue them onto a book cover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
thefloridagurl
Crafting keeps me sane.

Rockabilly with a Vintage twist

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007 03:32:41 AM »

I have actually just done this. I made embellishements out of polymer clay (the air-drying kind, cause I had it laying aound).

I just rolled it out (pasta machine, empty bottle, kitchen roller, whatever you have laying around) and used some of my rubber stamps to stamp words and pictures into it. To protect the stamps you might wanna dabble them into either baby powder or, in my case, flour (maybe not the best idea, but hey - I am all about experimenting!). That protects the stamp from sticking to the clay.

You could probably even embed things into the clay, like marbles or pearls or something.

Let it dry (or bake, whatever clay you use), paint it the colour you want, and voil - instant and personal embellishment.

Then you just glue it to the book, or card, or whatever, and youre all set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007 08:36:34 AM »

i need some ideas to incorporate clay things into the book. i'd be really interested to see some pictures if any of you have tried this.   also, how realistic would it be to try and make book covers out of clay?

There are actually many ways to use polymer clay for book covers, items on journal or scrapbook pages or cards, minibook pendants, and even as the pages themselves  Grin
If you want to check out lessons and examples for some of those things, look on these pages at my site:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/books.htm
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/cards.htm

Those pages deal mostly with "how to" use polymer clay for making those kinds of things.  If you're also interested in how to make the clay patterned or decorative (in a bajillion ways) to then use for the covers, doodads, etc., that info would mostly be covered on the particular technique or item page for each. To see what those all are, check out the Table of Contents page, (scroll down), then click on any of the page names from inside the alphabetical navigation bar to actually go there and get lessons, examples, etc. for whatever you're interested in:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

HTH, and have fun!

(then post photos of anything you make over in the Polymer Clay boards!)

Diane B.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007 08:38:35 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
mgodby86
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007 02:05:18 PM »

Hi Diane

Thanks again for all your help! The links you provided are JUST what I was looking for! Smiley

Actually I'm happy to say that after all the posting on this board I have a completed polymer clay project! I would love to post pictures but I can't find the USB that fits my camera...  so until then it will have to wait Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahspunda

Give it to Sarah! She'll take anything!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007 07:15:13 AM »

I was thinking you could do book covers either as large sheets of polymer clay glued onto the regular covers (like a composition book or something) OR make very thick polymer fronts and backs. Either pre-punch the holes or drill them after baking - then stitch up a book.  Just be careful to use a binding method that would be pretty loose because the polymer won't bend like a paper cover would (OK, it will bend, but then break!).  Hope that makes sense! 

Please post whatever you come up with - now I'm curious to try it out too!

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - General, Type and Advanced Type Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Introducing Document Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Exporting an InDesign File as a PDF
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Changing Display Quality and Multiple Text Layers
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Entering Text and Images into a Table
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...