A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: strapless dress woes...  (Read 1332 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bernadette
« on: June 14, 2007 02:43:57 PM »

Alright this is my first post here and I've been sewing small projects like messenger bags pj's and the like for a few years, but the last time I attempted a serious project was when i ws like 13 under my aunts helpful supervision. So I know I'm probably biting off more then I can chew, but I I'm totally inspired by Wilefyre's success with Simplicity 3780 http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3780&show=1

So what I'm wondering is, I'm a 44DDD, I know I'm going to have to make some adjustments in the boobage but I'm wondering if it would be possible to sew one of my strapless bras into the dress. I scored like 3 cacique strapless bras from a local discount store for 6$ a piece the only thing is a hate wearing them with out the straps I feel like I could just fall out at any min, but wearing them with the straps defeats the purpose. Has anyone else tried this with any success? Do any of you crafty DIVAS have any ideas on how to go about that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Addicted to all things art
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007 03:02:07 PM »

Is that a halter dress?  I can't tell...  If it's not, can you widen the straps so you could wear a bra?  Because I know as a 40D, I'd never feel comfortable not wearing something to keep the girls at attention.

I've heard tell that a bra's support comes from the rib-cage band, and not the straps, but you'll never convince me.  I think it's a two-way street.  I've tried on many strapless bras, cheap ones and expensive ones, and I've never found one that made me feel secure. 

I'm sure you're going to need to make a Full Bust Adjustment (also known as an FBA).  Most patterns are drafted for a B-cup, so you'll definately need it.  This is definately a do-as-I-say not-as-I-do sort of thing, b/c I've always been too scared to do it myself.  I've heard tell that it's actually quite simple.  I'm too lazy to find a link for you, but a google search should turn something up.  (Try patternreview.com, too.)  I'd also definately do a mock-up.

You probably can sew one of your bras in, but I'm  not sure how and it sounds like a pretty advanced operation.  I'm not sure if it's something you want to try to tackle on your first dress.  But, as with all things, I could be wrong.  Maybe someone else on here as done it easily and with great success  Cheesy

I've rambled on and probably said nothing helpful....hopefull y someone else knows better what they're talking about  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Bernadette
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007 06:01:30 PM »

DishclothQueen

your right about the mock up i'm going to raid the clearance bin at walmart for some fabric i can butcher @ a $1 a yard and hopefully find a nice weight that would me similar to the type i want to use on the finished project i'm never sure about fabric weights and what not. things seem ok on the bolt but once you get them on it's a different story. thanks for the link i'm going take my time and find as much info on altering the bustline as i can i'm hoping that i wont have to stray too much from the origional because i love the cut of it (why do all the cute things only work well on the less endowed crowd?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pocketwatch
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007 04:27:46 PM »

You can use duct tape! Although, in summer you probably don't want to use it during the day if you're going to be outside a lot, because it isn't breathable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007 12:50:10 PM »

FWIW, I talked to my mom (who's a much better seamstress than I), and she said that sewing a bra into the dress wouldn't be a problem at all.  (She was concerned, though, that the dress in general might be beyond a beginner seamstress.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Bernadette
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007 06:17:38 PM »

FWIW, I talked to my mom (who's a much better seamstress than I), and she said that sewing a bra into the dress wouldn't be a problem at all.  (She was concerned, though, that the dress in general might be beyond a beginner seamstress.)

thats a good point and of course that though didnt cross my mind till after i ordered the pattern, i just got so excited by the cuteness. but i am going to do a practice run with some throw away fabric first and if i run into any trouble i could always consult my monster in law *cringe* shes a hell of a seamstress i'll give her that. did you mom give any ideas on how to go about sewing that bra in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007 09:35:57 AM »

Mom said you'll need to put the bra on first, then the dress, then have someone tack the bra to the dress for you, then sew the bra in.

*shurg* sounds good to me  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crankylibrarian
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007 06:39:50 PM »

DO NOT put duct tape on your girls.  Trust me.  Clear packing tape works. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tau-nic
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007 04:16:40 PM »

I was reading someone's blog on how she showed, step-by step, to sew a bra into a halter dress. When I find the link, I'll post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Firefairy
Eclectic Savant

What do you mean, "it isn't supposed to explode"?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007 02:15:57 PM »

You could treat this as if it were a truly strapless dress and build support in from the waist with boning; that has worked nicely for me when I was doing creative necklines.  Then any support you get from the straps is just a bonus and stabilization. Smiley  Also, are your bras convertible or straight strapless?  If they are convertible, you can use both the front connection points to tie the bra into the dress straps and get some support that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sticks and string excite me.

Got Wist?
I'm on Ravelry, and now, so are my stash and WIPs.  Makin' progress!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Inspiration Behind New York City’s Iconic Subway Signage
Partnering | city.ballet.
Designing LED Lit 3D Printed Speakers
Designing the LED Space Helmet
Yves Behar on Product Design in the Future
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...