A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Being a girl is fun...except for the pantyhose.  (Read 4228 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ImaginationsEnd
« on: May 25, 2007 09:44:53 AM »

I've got a bit of an issue, perhaps someone (anyone!) can help me with. I'm short and cuddly. 5'3", and 210 lbs. I tend to lean towards more of the "goth" style of clothing, and occasionally bring myself to go out to the clubs and dance.

Usually when I go to a club, it's about the only time I wear a skirt. But I have issues with skirts. Big, ugly, angry issues with skirts. My thighs aren't exactly the most...er...muscula r in the world, and I have a little bit of flabby, loose sort of skin on the insides where I've lost some weight. Toning the muscles does nothing for it - I've tried. It's just sort of a loose skin that's there to stay.

When I wear a skirt, these bits (for lack of better term?) rub together and chafe in some of the most painful ways possible - resulting in welts and sometimes bleeding.

I've tried stockings - they make the welt/bleeding issue worse. Pantyhose are a little bit better - when they fit. But they rarely ever fit "right". The Fundeez/Flezees glorified  bike shorts things work okay - until about five seconds of movement jar them out of place and they start riding up to the point where they do no good anyway.

Do I forgoe skirts altogether? Do I try more pantyhose and eventually (after much pain) hope I find a pair that fits?

Is there anything I can make that might solve this issue? I was thinking bloomer-type things, maybe a lycra-cotton blend with some decorative lace on the ends - but I don't know where I'd look for a pattern I could use.

Suggestions, comments, and anything you can add would be wonderful. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007 10:17:39 AM »

Have you tried a skort? (a one piece skirt with shorts underneath)

I've heard that rubbing a bit of talc powder on your inner thighs can help with the friction/sweating issue as well.

I'm no use for sewing, so no suggestions there, but I wish you the best of luck!  It's no fun being uncomfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain
ImaginationsEnd
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007 10:18:51 AM »

A skort may very well be the answer to my question - I'm keeping my options open, though. Skorts remind me very much of my kindergarten days, for some reason.

Bad memories, I guess.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007 10:25:45 AM »

There's a post on here about this topic already "underwear for the prevention of thigh chaffing"--there might be some ideas here for you!

Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=151059.msg1498514#msg1498514

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain
PrincessAmanda
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007 11:27:16 AM »

I understand completely. My sisters and I went backpacking one summer, and I decided a skirt was the right option for trekking all over Rome one day, so painful bloody chafing was the result. I dont know about the talc powder, but i went the opposite direction and rubbed vaseline on my inner legs, which kind of lubed everything up and prevented worse pain. You might try that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OTSS! OTSS! ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE!
misplacedhippie
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007 11:39:08 AM »

SPANX!! I absolutely love them.  I have the same problem with my thighs, muscular and fat they are.  Spanx are thick pantyhoe short like things.  they sell them at Lane Bryant, and another kind for like $10 less at Target (which is the kind I have - poor college student that I am)  They come in colors, and different shapes, and they are thicker so the rub blisters didnt happen when I wore them instead of hoes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
greyshadeofblack
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007 11:42:47 AM »

I totally hear you. My mom calls me thunder thighs. Some women talk about chicken wings-when the fat under your arms wiggles. I have chicken thighs.
I love wearing skirts, I've tried bycicle shorts (those are so meant for athletes), tights and stockings, oil and talc powder...the works.
The best results:
Lush makes a few talc based powders-ordinary talc powder blends with sweat and turns into goo. Lush is a fantastic company based out of england. They make stay dry powders that go the extra mile.
Another option is boys underwear-the boxer breif kind. At least the cotton is absorbant and keeps me dry.
Yet another option is what my mom calls 'fat lady underpants'. 'Just my Size' makes a panty made for just this. So does spanx-they are like bycicle shorts-but made from differnt fabric. They don't ride up as much.
Tell me how it goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ranchelmarie
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007 05:53:12 AM »

I agree with the other about spanx.
I have the same problem, and it sounds like we may be around the same size. I'm 5'3'' and about 205ish pounds and have the big thighs as well. I have the Hanes version of spanx, but they work great. I just saw on Target.com that they have a new line called Assets by Sara Blakely that has all sorts of shapewear and the most expensive thing there is $20, and that goes from thighs to the top of the tummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007 06:44:49 AM »

Band-Aid came out with this product that prevents blisters. it looks like a little tube of deoderant, and you rub it on places you get blisters and it's supposed to lubricate things odorlessly to keep you from getting blisters. I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if it would work on theighs to prevent chafing?  I've actually applied deoderant to my legs before because I tend to sweat a lot, so maybe it would work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
Chimera
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007 08:09:24 AM »

Vaseline can leave a greasy stain on your clothes. I don't have thunder thighs or chicken legs, I'm somewhere in between, but I sometimes do have this problem and I have found that diaper rash cream works the best. It soothes the area and helps to clear it up, while preventing further chafing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homeward Bound by Emily Matchar
Motherhood, Rescheduled by Sarah Elizabeth Richards
Bad Unicorn by Platte F. Clark
The Short Seller By Elissa Brent Weissman
Behind the Scenes Inside the Baseball Hall of Fame Museum
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...