A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Very Dishalicious Dishcloth/Washcloth Swap Round 2 (Signups 5/9-5/25)  (Read 12421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2007 07:32:48 PM »

I've seen the light-up crochet hook...not sure if they come in a variety of sizes or not.

Has anyone tried the light-ups?  I think I'd get hypnotized or at least have spots before my eyes if I used them!

RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2007 07:44:28 PM »

Oh wow, I didn't know that hooks were available too.  I'll keep my eyes open for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2007 07:51:13 PM »

Well I went looking .. and found some on ebay and a few other places ... for around $20 a hook .. yipe!!  I think I'll get that little book light first!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2007 10:50:08 PM »

I have the needle lite crochet hook set in my wists, you can get them in every common size online for 9.95 BUT I was at joanns a couple weeks ago & they had a couple sizes for 7.95. I'm planning on getting one when we aren't as strapped.Right now I just use a book light & clip it to the car visor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

berol
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2007 01:42:09 AM »

Joanns have light up crochet hooks - I got one for $6.

I'd check the size though, as my G light up hook is much bigger than my G aluminium one. (it says G-4.5mm whereas the other one says G-4.00mm.)

I found it was awkward and uncomfortable to use and that the hook bit was not very defined (does that make sense? I can't think of how to describe it! Sort of like how deep the hook is cut). -maybe that's just me not particularly liking plastic hooks.

I did think it'd be great for beginners though, as you can really see the stitches as you go to put the hook under them.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*waves*
Miss_Vicki

« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2007 04:45:10 PM »

my G light up hook is much bigger than my G aluminium one. (it says G-4.5mm whereas the other one says G-4.00mm.)
  I am beginning to dislike the letter system for hook sizing a little.   Undecided  Not because I don't like letters, that would be fine if it was what I was used to right?  What I don't like is there seems to be whole sizes missing.   Shocked  Well, I had thought they were missing when I first looked up a size conversion chart.  But after considering berol's trouble with her light up hook, I see that some letters stand for more than one size.  Lemme see... if my chart is correct (and if a G is both 4mm and 4.5mm), then I think a K is 6.5mm and 7mm, and a C is 2.75mm and 3mm, and a B is 2.25mm and 2.5mm... um, maybe.  I am not sure about that, especially because it completely leaves out a 2mm size, or anything smaller now that I come to think of it.

I will try to source another conversion chart and hopefully I can post up a link.  Jeepers, I just wanted to determine the gauge of the ones my partner said she is missing (different swap), but now I think maybe I ought to find the ones that are also missing due to them not being US sizes.  Cheesy

Hmmm, I think whatever hooks I do send I should label with a letter somehow.  Aussie hooks usually only have a metric size on them these days, some brands will have a UK size on it too but never a US or Canadian one.  Any thoughts on how to do this guys?  I wouldn't try it for an aluminium hook, but for bamboo or plastic it may be worth a shot.  And it would be a pain in the butt to have one or two hooks in your collection that were marked with sizes different to what you normally use, sooo... I wanna put letters on 'em before I send them.

As for knitting - if said crazy conversion chart is anything to go by - then folks in Canada and the UK won't be used to seeing 3.5mm needles and in the US you won't have many 3mm, 7mm or 7.5mm either.  I am inclined to think there might actually be a grain of truth in that.  A gal at my Stitch'n'Bitch mentioned once that 3.5mm needles are uncommon here, compared to other sizes.  As we used to use the British scale here and because lots of supplies come from there, it makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007 10:45:25 PM by Miss_Vicki - Reason: extra info added for clarity re- swap partner » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
berol
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2007 10:00:44 AM »

UK sizing has pretty much converted wholeheartedly to metric and I have never bought hooks or needles here in anything else Smiley

(Except when I bought in the states, of course, where everything is lettered!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*waves*
Miss_Vicki

« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2007 04:36:44 PM »

Oh wow, I didn't know that berol.  That is definately cool and we have pretty much done the same of course, just that a lot of things are still marked with old sizes as well as metric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Great Hair Rollers For Bouncy Waves
Flatironing Tips For Your Hair
How to Touch Up Your Blowout
How to Tame Curls With Eva Scrivo
Eva Scrivo on Creating Perfect Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...