A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,796
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best recipes for strawberries?  (Read 895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DTchick
« on: May 23, 2007 04:54:18 PM »

I just bought some strawberries, and they're ripe to the point that they're going to go bad soon. I really want to use them, but for more than just eating strawberries. I've already baked some strawberry banana bread. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't cause commotions; I am one.

I didn't recognize you without the handcuffs.
Rusty
A little bit of everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007 05:21:13 PM »

Shortcake, smoothies or simply dipped in a little granulated sugar - those are my favorites!

Also - if you really don't use them up, wash/core them, bag them and stick them in the freezer. You don't even have to thaw them to add them to a smoothie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DTchick
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007 05:23:23 PM »

Thanks! I always overlook the simplest ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't cause commotions; I am one.

I didn't recognize you without the handcuffs.
jilybrat
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007 05:42:34 PM »

Make them into sundae syrup!

Cook on med - low heat until they're soft.  Mash them up a bit.  Cook some more until they're getting kind of liquidy.  you may need to add a bit of water, it doesn't take much though.  and add sugar to taste. i think i usually add about 1/4c but just add it bit by bit, and keep tasting it. 

Spoon over ice cream or frozen yogurt.  even makes good jam on toast. you can keep it in the fridge for a few days, or longer in the freezer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007 07:18:58 PM »

Ice cream topping, smoothie, dipped in sugar...YUM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
spaghetti
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007 08:34:29 PM »

My favorite (strange) thing to do with strawberries is to put them in salads.  I usually do romaine lettuce, strawberries, chickpeas, and blue cheese with this dressing:

1  garlic clove 
1/4  teaspoon salt 
1  lemon 
2  tablespoons olive oil 
salt and fresh ground black pepper

Peel the garlic clove and thinly slice it. Place the garlic in a small bowl and pour the salt on the garlic. Using a fork or a spoon, crush/grind the garlic against the side of the bowl -- there will be some small pieces of garlic left. Wash the lemon, and using a vegetable peeler or zester, remove the thin yellow outer peel of the lemon. Slice the lemon peel into very narrow strips about 1/2 inch long and 1/8 inch wide. Add the lemon peel to the bowl with the garlic. Juice the lemon and add the lemon juice and olive oil to the bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.  (The recipe makes enough for a few salads, but the dressing keeps well...and it's easier than asking someone to peel a third of a lemon.  Wink)

I also like strawberries with granola and yogurt.  Or strawberries and mango (which is pretty close to eating them plain, I guess...but if you chop them and then let the juices mix for about 24 h, it's amazing...especiall y if you sprinkle on some sugar to draw the juices out...).  Or strawberries and chocolate pudding.  Strawberries...luck y you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
nataleeza
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007 09:36:22 PM »

Balsamic strawberries!  Absolutely the best when they are approaching overripe.

You need:
A punnet of strawberries
a heavy sprinkling of icing sugar
a splash of very good quality balsamic (the type that's kinda syrupy)
and a small amount of freshly cracked black pepper

Basically, mix everything together, and serve.  A little sprig of mint is very cute on it
I like to serve it with marscarpone.  It's not a super sweet dessert so something like cream or ice cream would overwhelm it all together.

Warning!  Do not omit the pepper, it absolutely makes this dish pop  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
hobbitsubculture
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007 11:07:12 PM »

Chop the strawberries and put them in a bowl with chopped apples.  Drizzle with honey (or sugar) and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Microwave, then mash it all up.  Strawberry applesauce!

Also try adding them to oatmeal.  If you're not vegan, milk instead of water makes it strawberries n cream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lightning Pop-- http://lightningpop.etsy.com

"If evil be the food of genius, there aren't many demons around."  -Adam and the Ants
hobbitsubculture
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007 11:10:02 PM »

Just remembered...

http://www.recipezaar.com/85243

Wicked awesome strawberry iced tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lightning Pop-- http://lightningpop.etsy.com

"If evil be the food of genius, there aren't many demons around."  -Adam and the Ants
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007 10:21:07 PM »

mmm I second the salad idea. I love strawberries in my salad. But I also throw them on top of granola or other cereals to get some extra fruity goodness in my diet. Here's my favorite granola recipe (it's super simple and raw depending on what "milk" you eat it with)

-3 cups oats
-1 cup slivered almonds or other nuts (i use 1/2 cup almonds and then whatever i have, walnuts, pecans whatever)
-1/2 cup maple syrup
-1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp nutmeg

combine all the dry ingredients in a large container, toss. Add maple syrup and toss again. Let dry, covered, in the fridge over night. Best eaten when completely dry Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
How to Make a Slow-Cooker Turkey Chili
How to Make Blackened Catfish and Creole Remoulade
How to Make Southern Shrimp and Grits
How to Make Whole Grain Waffles with Blueberries and Yogurt
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...