A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Large The Clash tee to a lovely halterneck NOW WITH NEW TUT!  (Read 29202 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Autumnflower
« on: May 23, 2007 09:17:32 AM »

i love making halternecks coz its requires the least hassle!
no sleeves or anything to sort out Cheesy
so here is my second project and i love it. its such a great fit.
tell me what you think of it anyways!
a bit messy round the top edges, but i think it looks good like this!

and the back!

MY FIRST (SORT OF) TUT!

Now this tut is using two different tee shirts, coz id cut half of the clash tee off and threw away the rest of the tee for some reason (no, i don't know why either!)

1) First of all I cut the neck and sleeves off the original tee shirt.

2) I then put the tee shirt on and drew on in pencil where I wanted the neckline to come to. Just use it from where the tee shirt already sits on your neck from cutting out the neck hole, so from those bony bits below your neck (I'm not quite sure what they are called! I want to say shoulder blades but I'm probably wrong.)

3) I drew on where I wanted the edge of the fabric under my arms to come to (where it comes up from the back of the top and then connects to the halter neck... the 'armhole' bit... if that makes it any clearer lol)

4) Stand up fully, and draw a line where you want the top to come to length-wise, leaving a bit extra space to seam it up.

5) I then took the tee shirt off and drew in the lines I couldn't reach such as how thick I want the halterneck bit to be around my neck. If you have a full tee shirt you would also draw where about you want it to go on your back (Use the 'armhole' lines as a guide) or you could just cut the back panel out. (but be careful not to cut your halterneck bit off!)

6) Cut around your lines that you've drawn, and try on again and make any adjustments.

7) Sew the bottom seam up so its all nice (if you cut it at all)(you'd want to do this if your using a well fitting top for the back half.. (see next step) as it would have a nice bottom seam on the back and not on the front)

Ignore these bits if you have a whole top!

Cool I then took a different stretchy white top, that fitted me well, and cut the top part off, so there were no more sleeves or neckline, and so you have a sort of tube of fabric. I did this so i didn't have to bother seaming up all the bottom, and just do one half... lazy me.

9) Then cut the up each side on the seams, so your left with a panel of material, and seam the top of the fabric panel.

10) Attach it to the front part of the top, making sure it is parallel with the bottom of the front and you've attached it on the right side (ive done both those part wrong before, coz im a goon)

I left the neckline and that raw edges, but feel free to zoom them up on your machine too.

Hey presto lovely halterneck top!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008 12:29:18 PM by Autumnflower » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kedrock
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007 10:02:08 AM »

That looks great!  Any tips for me if I try to make one?  Did you do any sewing?  or just cutting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MEshelltakeone
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007 10:05:29 AM »

very cool!! and i think the 'messy' edges go VERY well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kedrock
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007 11:34:09 AM »

Thanks for the tips.  I'd love to see a picture of the back of it if you are so inclined.  Am I understanding right that the front and back are made from two different shirts? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Autumnflower
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007 11:41:17 AM »

Thanks for the tips.  I'd love to see a picture of the back of it if you are so inclined.  Am I understanding right that the front and back are made from two different shirts? Huh

yeah thats right! i'll get a pic of the back up pronto!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L_is_for_lobotomy
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007 12:44:38 PM »

the raggedy cutting in the front definitely works for the shirt.  it fits and i like it.

ok, and am i hearing correctly that i am indeed NOT the only person in the world who has been left with only the front of a tshirt and has no idea why on earth they did that???

the shirt looks great!  i'm jealous - my clash shirt is currently covered in moth holes (and is the only shirt i own to have this problem) and bleach stains.  if i can pull something half this awesome out of it, i'll consider myself lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinMuffin
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007 09:03:51 PM »

Yay! The Clash! I like the way the shirt has rough edges on the front it makes it seem very punk-esque.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rock_goddess
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007 03:38:46 AM »

woo for the clash Cheesy

great top!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Autumnflower
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007 12:07:52 PM »

ok, and am i hearing correctly that i am indeed NOT the only person in the world who has been left with only the front of a tshirt and has no idea why on earth they did that???

haha yeah, you arn't the only person in the world who has done that. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L_is_for_lobotomy
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007 05:05:10 PM »

haha, how does that HAPPEN???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 2
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 4
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 3
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 1
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...