A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,055
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many WIPs do you usually have going?  (Read 2031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2007 08:21:59 AM »

I've been spending a lot of time reading knitting blogs and the like, and I just feel like the ONLY person in the world who refuses to have more than one WIP at a time.  Granted, I have a couple UFOs that might remain so for a long time, but I've never actually been working on multiple things at once.  I just can't grasp it.

For those of you that do, how many do you usually have going at any give time, and how do you manage to finish ANY of them?  I only work on one thing at a time because if I had more, I'd pick favorites and only work on that one.  I can understand the appeal of novelty mid-way through an afghan or sweater, but I know that if I stop a project I'm not too fond of, I'll never pick it back up again.

Is there something magical to multiple WIPs that I'm missing out on?  I guess I'm just way too monogamous.    Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
laceypooh

I've looked at clouds from both sides now..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007 08:54:33 AM »

I don't know, I think I would consider myself lucky if that were the case for me.  Lol.  The reason I have so many things going on at once is because I'm like ADD or something.  I start something and then the moment it gets to a boring part (like lots of stockinette or something) I move on to something else.  A lot of times I never end up finishing an item, because I'll lose interest or I will look at a new magazine and decide to frog a WIP so I can use the yarn for something else.  I'm hopeless. Smiley   To answer your question, I probably have 6 or 7 WIPs going on right now.  And I feel completely disorganized. I envy your ability to focus.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to have fun. I want to shine like the sun. I want to be the one that you want to see. I want to knit you a sweater. I want to write you a love letter. I want to make you feel better. I want to make you feel free. --Joni Mitchell

http://laceyknitsandpearls.blogspot.com/
JBoudreau
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007 08:57:08 AM »

I used to be a project monogamist, but then I started knitting socks! I usually have 2 projects going on at one time, a sock and something bigger. I usually manage to work on both in a day. Anymore than 2 and I feel like I start to lose focus and nothing will get done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
likespointysticks
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007 09:10:56 AM »

I have four WIPs, but usually I have more.  This is because

1) Sometimes I get bored in the middle of a big project, or frustrated
2) I like playing with different yarns, and different yarn weights
3) I like to have different projects for different knitting times - small, simple things for knitting on the bus/walking/in class; a big ol' blankie for zoning out in front of the tv; a small but more complex project to take to knitting club, like socks; and, occasionally, something that's a challenge for when I want to REALLY 100% focus and knit.

Do projects that I have the yarn, idea, needles, and pattern for, but haven't cast on for yet, count? 'cus I've got two of those, too.

Oh, and sometimes I have different projects for travelling long distance or on holiday, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my dictionary.
jax3303
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007 09:20:23 AM »

I have a self imposed limit of 5 wip's. I have multiple wip's because if I work too long on any one project, I get really bored. If I were a monogamous knitter, then I would never finish anything. I would get bored, set it down and it would never get worked on again. Having multiple projects keeps me interested. I work on one thing for a while, then another when I get bored. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz.....LMAO!! I like to have a variety of projects OTN. I usually have a big lace project, some other kind of large project (aran sweaters, afghans...etc...), a couple of pairs of socks, and a baby/child project.

At the moment, OTN I have 2 pairs of socks (embossed leaves from favorite socks and twisted flower from cookie a) , a shetland tea shawl (from a gathering of lace), Monica (from knitty), and a throw I'm making using the kerry blue shawl pattern (from traditional knitted lace shawls) using worsted weight yarn instead of lace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ImaginationsEnd
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007 09:21:55 AM »

I've got three going right now. That's the fewest number I've had in a  while. A long while.

Different projects for different moods and situations, I guess. Plus I get bored working with just one texture or color for a long while. And sometimes different needle sizes hurt my hands when worked for too long - so I switch it up to give myself a break.  And sometimes its just a rush to get things done quickly or a deadline that must be met.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007 10:25:02 AM »

I usually have two WIPs going at any one time.  I carry a small project (knitting, cross stitch, or needlepoint) in my work bag, and work on it while I'm on the commuter rail.  Then I'll have a larger project at home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rottie Mom
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007 10:33:08 AM »

I now limit myself to 2.   I have actually finished because of this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007 10:50:53 AM »

i have 4 right now. i like to divide my time between them so i don't get bored with one thing.

i tend to have more than 3 at any time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
fallencupid
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007 11:03:26 AM »

I ususally have at least 2 going on at a time. A big project and a smaller little project to defrag my brain on when I hit rough spots or boring parts in my big project.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Courtney Sheinmel Talks About Positively and My So-Called Family
Missing Max Book Trailer
The Deep Kiss of Winter Book Trailer
Lisa Genova Talks About Still Alice
The Bone Box Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...